Ballarat Area Victoria information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We hit the road again shortly heading for Ballarat to try my luck for gold. This will be my first time looking for gold.
The weather is not on my side but I hope to get a couple of hours in between rain.
Anyone know and likely areas close to Ballarat within about an hours drive? Not after your spot X, just don't want to waste my limited time somewhere that has no chance. Cheers.

My family and I are visiting our friends in Melbourne over the Christmas break. Thought we would bring our pans and head to Ballarat for a day trip. Where do we go to prospect in Ballarat that's easily accessible (we won't have the 4x4) and suitable for kids?
Thanks

slatey creek out creswick. Easy to find, good for kids. Just take em to the dam just off slatey creek road at the entrance up near st georges. Just pan the gutters each side of the track in the dam 50metres up. The kids will find colour no prob.

Hi Everyone,

I hate starting new topics, i did do a search but nothing came up or very little and closed threads,

Does anyone in the Ballarat area know of a swimming hole with a large yellow crane sticking out above the water?, I went there with a couple of mates from Ballarat that lived in Magpie, I remember it was a short drive by 4x4 from his place, this was sometime in 2006-2008.

Also any of you Ballarat guys know if you are allowed to prospect near the east mine outside it's borders, I don't want to break any laws or trespass.
for example either side of Bergs Lane Ballarat?

TIA for any help.

BlinkyBil

yeah its lake essy... You cant see the crane now tho.. Got a pretty shitty playground there with some bbq's, flying fox is ok for kids but.

Hi all,
I'm a complete newby. Never detected before, never been with anyone detecting, it's just something I've always wanted to do. Two days ago I got my self an SDC2300. I went out to Smythsdale on Friday with no luck just a few bullets and lead shot. Today I went to Snake Valley, same no luck just some lead shot. I must admit I am hooked, it's great getting out in the bush and actually doing something, I cant wait till I find a nugget, or should I say If I find a nugget, I don't care how big anything will do. I'm currently staying In Ballarat and I will be here for another week. I live in Gippsland. Any way I would so love to find a nugget before I go home. So my question is; where is the best spot where I can have a chance of finding that allusive bit of gold? I don't expect an exact location, just a rough area would be great ,any help or advice will do.
Cheers and hope to hear from some one :Y:

G'day Dickie, a good area to try is around Nerrina (Little Bendigo Diggings) as it was a very rich area, it gets hit pretty hard but there's lots of areas to try, otherwise towards Creswick in the pine plantation areas is pretty good.
Do you have maps or know how to use Geovic to locate the old gold digging areas??

Thanks Prospector Pete
I have Creswick -Ballarat gold map and the Smythsdale - Snake Valley map . Im following a guy on instagram and he goes to Creswick , he found 2 small pieces today , so i think I'll give there ago . I was at old diggings today .

Sounds good then, just keep focused and as long as you are finding the odd bit of lead shot on the diggings then you are in with a chance, general ratio of lead to gold finds is around 20-40 bits of lead shot to 1 piece of small gold depending on the area to give you a rough idea, the gold won't come easy but persistence is the key, good luck :Y:

Pete.

Thanks for that Prospector Pete
I think im up to about 20 pieces of lead so i am getting there and Its the thrill of the chase that is getting me , hope fully i can go home with something . Once again thanks for the help

Welcome Dickie.What is your Instagram account called? I will chuck you a follow.(eldorado prospecting)

Its called dickiedykers_trippinroundoz , cheers and thanks for that I'll add you now
Eldorado said:
Welcome Dickie .What is your Instagram account called? I will chuck you a follow.(eldorado prospecting)

Latest posts