Ballarat Area Victoria information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey fellow swingers :p

Went for a swing today "near Ballarat" that's a pretty popular place for detectorists. I didn't get any gold, just the usual cache of slugs, bottle tops and rusty iron but I struck up a chat with a local that's been to this spot many times. He said he always comes away with at least a couple of grams.

He showed me 4 little nuggets that he got today, all up about 2 grams between them. Told me he first came the area about 5 years ago with a Eureka Gold and found a 14 grammer with it straight away. Sold the gold and upgraded to a SD2200 v2, which he said if you ever see one, get it as they are a top machine. He is now swinging a 4500 with a 5" Coiltek, got it cheap as soon as the 5000's came out.

He gave me a few tips so I'll definitely come back to the area when I can. One tip was to find out when the burn-offs are going to happen. As soon as they do, the locals flock to the area and pick up heaps in places where you couldn't get in before the burn off. Apparently one bloke hit a patch and pulled out about 2oz in about 4 hours. :eek:

Now if I could just get my coil over the gold :rolleyes:

AU

After having a think overnight I realise I was probably using the wrong settings yesterday. The problem with the Eureka Gold is that with 3 frequencies to choose from, how do you know which was is best for the ground you're in?
I (stupidly) thought that I would go for the big deep nuggets, so had the machine set at 6.4kHz and audio on boost. This should've given me the best depth, but could also miss a lot of smaller nuggets just below the surface.
It wasn't until I was having a chat with a local just before leaving that I realised the place had been flogged and most likely all of the big deep nuggets were already taken.
Once he had shown me the little nuggets he'd found just below the surface it hit me that I should've set the EG for 60kHz and audio on "Fine". This is the best setting for the smallest of nuggets in shallow ground and the Fine audio setting amplifies the target signal without amplifying the ground noise.

Anyway, live and learn. I'll be back out there next weekend - pending on a leave pass from the minister of course ;)

AU

Sounds like the local knowledge could pay off on the next trip mate. Like i always say...a lot of little nuggets makes a big nugget. Best of luck out there next weekend and hope some signals are golden. Cheer Wal. :)

Thanks Wal and Tone. Gotta agree. Maps are all well and good in telling you where the gold bearing areas are but there's nothing like local knowledge and experience. Not many people will tell you their favourite spot, but if you look like you're out there having a crack I think ya more likely to get some valuable tips.

I hope I can return the favour one day.

AU

Well we spent a few hours swinging a goldbug DP in Ballarat.
Plenty of promising areas.
Obviously by some finding nice nuggets there is some still there.
But we had no luck. I thought that all the surface gold had been found
and its the deep stuff thats still there. our detector I dont think
could go deep. Now have something that goes deeper to try.
Cheers.
Lee.

Hi guys remember me? wanted to know more about gold prospecting... while ago.

Now i'm here in Australia in VIC in search for gold but could not find any..... plz HELP

I've been in Bendigo, BALLARAT, DUNOLLY, i'm here only for 3 months. I spent like 2 week already in usless digging in the woods....
Can any1 help me find some color ? I own a GARRET AT-GOLD, i think i know how to use it... but still find only nails, bullets and stuff like that.

Do I go to the woods ? or do i have to move pavement block in Ballarat to find ANY nugget ?

I 'm here with 2 friends, we wanted to spend some time searching but this becomes frustrating more and more.

If u can help me just leave a message here or phone me on my cell [phone number removed for protection of privacy, please add email address to profile - Nugget]. REALLY NEED SOME HAND IN FINDING A GOOD SPOT. I JUST NEED ONE NUGGET :(

If u know a good spot here in VIC pls share with me :) thx.

Hi Pawel,

I didn't quite remember you, so had a quick look at your other post: https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1396

It seems you didn't get back to us with your questions before you arrived in Australia. That's a pity because we could've given you many things to research before you got here.

Now you are here I would recommend that you purchase some gold maps and research where gold was found. You are in the right area (Ballarat, Bendigo, Dunolly, etc.), but the maps will save you from wandering aimlessly around the bush.

You won't need to pull up the pavement in Ballarat (you would be arrested for that anyway), you just need to spend a little time doing some intelligent research. It is extremely unlikely that anyone is going to post exactly where to find gold on the internet.

Alternatively, you can do a gold prospecting tour where you will be shown how to use your detector properly and also be taught where to find gold.

Have a search around the forum for details, just about everything you ever need to know about gold prospecting is on this forum :)

When you do find a gold bearing area, make sure you spend plenty of time going over it before you give up on it. The gold is not going to jump out of the ground into your pocket :)

The gold is where you find it!

Au

Hi

gold is often found in those places but some people find 100 pieces of nails and bullets before they find one bit of gold

do you fill in the holes you dig ?

i heard it brings good luck when we respect the land

hope you enjoy your trip and have some good luck :D

Look for shallow
Alluvial diggings!
Ie rock piles sitting on clay ,
Eroded gullys and washouts !
Don't get out in the deeper ground as you will decrease your chances!
I'd start with a shallow washed out area with small pebbly looking characteristics ,
Maybe some shale poking out ,
Crevices in dry creeks and gullys
Or we're there are test holes close together
That are no more than a few feet deep !
Or find some one in your area that may take you out
For a swing or tuition .
Don't forget to offer beer and rum
To those who offer you out :)

Lbg dreamer said:
Look for shallow
Alluvial diggings!
Ie rock piles sitting on clay ,
Eroded gullys and washouts !
Don't get out in the deeper ground as you will decrease your chances!
I'd start with a shallow washed out area with small pebbly looking characteristics ,
Maybe some shale poking out ,
Crevices in dry creeks and gullys
Or we're there are test holes close together
That are no more than a few feet deep !
Or find some one in your area that may take you out
For a swing or tuition .
Don't forget to offer beer and rum
To those who offer you out :)

There seem to be many good people in your area
That might help !
Maybe there is a detector shop near by ?
They may have courses / training
Or be able to piont you closer to a nugget !

Ty u guys for your time. It seems that I am doing all the right things... just have no luck.
Have bought maps of every place i've been Ballarat, bendigo and dunolly too. They helped me to figure out where to search. All the things u said to do I already did. Searched for old diggings, dry and wet streams. even tried to poke ... nothing seems to be working. I already spent more than 100 hrs on my detector, can tell every sound it makes, whats that, and even how deep it is. NEVER heard gold thou. Sometimes when I thought that was gold it was some lead bullet.....
U have my phone number... I will offer some beer or rum to any1 who will help me to dig out my first nugget :D
Or at least do a swing with us so we can actually enjoy gold searching.

If any1 from VIC interested in meeting us and have a swing or at least give us a tuition pls call and we will arrange a meeting.
Sometimes my phone is offline because we spend A LOT time in woods so pls SMS instead if u dont get the answer from me.

Your not enjoying your time in the bush !
Slow down , sit back , look and think what the old timers were doing in the area !
Don't get to frustrated with not finding gold !
Just keep swinging and it will come
Remember low and slow and investigate every little change in your threshold !
I'm to far away to be of any help other than advice :)
And good luck in finding a hand or your first nugget !

You could take photos of we're your trying
And we might be able to point you to your best bet of trying :)

Hey everyone been planning a trip to go to Ballarat and take the train to watch the footy.
My as well go panning whilst I'm there!
So just wondering if you know of any places, I heard the Yarrowee is suppose to be good.

Thanks in advance and also if you know anything about jupiter creek please check out my other thread, need to head up to Adelaide soon.

You'll want waders/a change of clothes, and gloves. The yarrowee is pretty polluted, and lots of glass.

So at the last minute I managed to get this week off work.
Wanted a get away from the city to chill out so talked my husband into going to Ballarat! Only there for three nights but better than nothing :)
Catching the V line up there and booked a hotel with a spa (whoohoo!) ALSO booked a day out prospecting with Gold Relics. Will get a tour of the gold fields, a history lesson, lunch and the full afternoon using a metal detector and a lesson on the different coils etc.
Hoping my husband catching the prospecting/fossicking bug so wish me luck!

PS. Any tips on Must See/Do while there? Will be on foot or catching taxi so nothing too extreme distance wise. :p

Awesome Karen,

Ballarat is steeped in our gold rush history and a great place to visit.
They are having their 160th Anniversary celebrations of the 'Eureka Stockade' this year from Nov 26-Dec 3.

Highly recommend a day at Sovereign Hill and immerse yourselves in the history. (see the open air museum and have a beer at the old era pubs).

Also is the museum of Australian Democracy, Ballarat Wildlife park and Botanical Gardens!

If hubby finds a nugget out on the tour, he will be hooked dont worry!

Have a great time ;)

Cheers

Thanks Metamorphic! I am ridiculously excited. Bought some great books at a secondhand book store the other day on the history in this area. Will read them on the train up.
Sovereign Hill is our plan for Friday...... I am from NZ and we have a version called Shantytown but I am pretty sure Sovereign Hill is 5 times the size lol
http://www.shantytown.co.nz/

Hi KiwiKaren

when we went there with our son many many years ago we bribed him with a day at Sovereign Hill if he behaved while we went to the wineries. I remember whispering to my wife that we would just go in for an hour or so then get out and go to dinner somewhere. any way several hours later and after the "blood on the southern Cross" we finally came out. been there many times since and it is always fantastic. Go to the blacksmiths shop and get some great gear. Just across from the entrance to sovereign hill is the Gold Museum and that's also well worth a visit. It will take most of a day to do it well.

Have fun

Araluen

Check out the Mining Exchange gold shop in the town itself. Small shop but they guy has some ultra rare eye popping species of crystal and wire gold. If you ask him nicely he'll show you them under a cool looking microscope. Amazing to see.

Latest posts