Ballarat Area Victoria information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi, I am planning a gold fossicking holiday at Ballarat in September and would like some suggestions please. I am wanting to visit Soveriegnhill and around ballarat area. I would like to know of a mine field where I could fossick for a couple of days. a map of the area would be helpful. I am also wondering about accomodation, would it be better to stay at the Soveriegnhill park or possibly the Big4 caravan park. any suggestions would be helpful thankyou.
cheers Debra

Hi Debra, There is very nice caravan park within walking distance (about one block away) of Sovereign Hill and a large motel complex as well in the opposite direction. Both are very nice and it depends on your budget and circumstances which might suit better. If you go to the members meetup section of this forum and click on the Ballarat post. Some members are planning a meetup out around Creswick (about 15-20 minutes drive from Ballarat) in September that might suit?

Thankyou for the suggestions I will look into it. I'm looking forward to getting my hands dirty lol..

SCROUNGER said:
Hi Debra, There is very nice caravan park within walking distance (about one block away) of Sovereign Hill and a large motel complex as well in the opposite direction. Both are very nice and it depends on your budget and circumstances which might suit better. If you go to the members meetup section of this forum and click on the Ballarat post. Some members are planning a meetup out around Creswick (about 15-20 minutes drive from Ballarat) in September that might suit?

That's easy down here at the moment, the area's like a mudhole in some spots. We've been getting some good rain at last :lol: Hope you enjoy your trip and find some gold.

Don't forget to get your miners rights to. Things are a bit different to over here in SA. $17.20 gets it for you and it transfers ownership of minerals found from the crown to you, as opposed to in SA where we don't need a miners right, but don't own what we find. :)

What do you mean by not owning what you find Chewy? If you find a nugget over there are you supposed to hand it in? Pay some sort of tax on it? Or do you just say you found it in Vic?

SCROUNGER said:
What do you mean by not owning what you find Chewy? If you find a nugget over there are you supposed to hand it in? Pay some sort of tax on it? Or do you just say you found it in Vic?
It means we are not allowed to sell it as it still belongs to the crown.

Quite backwards and draconianbut thats SA for you.

Aadelaidean, have a look into coming over for the September meet up, it would be good to see a few people from SA over there stealing all the Victorians Gold :p

SCROUNGER said:
Nah ya can keep it for ya collection but can't sell any finds as they remain the property of the crown. I don't know if that means they intend on knocking on ya door at some stage and asking for their stuff back. :rolleyes:

What little we can do in S.A. is not called prospecting, it's called fossicking and allowed as a hobby.

ALL minerals in the ground in Australia are owned by the "Crown" and are governed on a State by State basis. It is the States that get the royalties etc.

In simple terms, Miners Rights in Victoria allow individuals to prospect for gold on "some" Crown land and on private property with the owners permission and transfers gold found from the Crown to the prospector. (check Eureka Stockade history). It also states that you can only use hand tools to recover such gold.

Each State has different rules, costs and laws, so check before you go out.

MJB said:
SCROUNGER said:
It means we are not allowed to sell it as it still belongs to the crown.

Quite backwards and draconianbut thats SA for you.

Aadelaidean, have a look into coming over for the September meet up, it would be good to see a few people from SA over there stealing all the Victorians Gold :p
Yep SA. The free state. Lol :lol:

Will do Chewy, thanks for the reminder

Chewy said:
Don't forget to get your miners rights to. Things are a bit different to over here in SA. $17.20 gets it for you and it transfers ownership of minerals found from the crown to you, as opposed to in SA where we don't need a miners right, but don't own what we find. :)

Great article. Plenty still around but digging the bank in will likely get yoi kicked up the ass. Follow the leads and the gullies that still cut them and look for benches with loose sugerlike gravels. Plenty around get up into the pine trees

Hi guy I will be in Ballarat on Monday and I'd love to get out for a few hours with my 4500 and have a scratch around can anyone point me in the right direction somewhere close in Ballarat in can prospect ..any info will be appreciated..cheers mick

Latest posts