B&Z booster information

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
justoverthehill said:
Just wondering if anyone here runs a B & Z Booster and what they think about it?

G'day

Have been using the B&Z boosters for yonks and to date have had no issues or spurious noises from them, unless I forget about the battery needing changing every couple of weeks, I have mine set in a pouch on the harness and can use it for all my detectors, as long as you keep them secure they are ok otherwise like any plastic box type device it can get damaged easily.

They are about half the price of the SP01 so you can get a spare as well, always a good thing to have a spare of everything in the bush, the SP01 was not about when I first started using these and they were the better option for what was about back then, have not tried the SP01 as yet and I am told they are very good, more particularly with the sdc2300 and gpz7000 I believe.

I looked at the SP01 initially but two things, one was that I would have to re arrange where I could put it on my harness and the other thing was that it has internal hard wired batteries, so if you have an issue with it in the bush there is little or nothing that you can do to try and fix it yourself, with the B&Z if the battery fails all you need to do is fit another battery, but as I said I carry a spare anyway, if the SP01 fails unless you have a spare then you are without a booster, not a big issue if you are out for the day or weekend but as we go for weeks then I would not want to be without a booster as my hearing is crap these days.

cheers

stayyerAU

madtuna said:
Hi mate, have had at least 7 or 8 B&Z's over the years.
All worked okay most of the time but every one suffered an annoying hum that drove me nuts and every one needed repairing at some stage. I don't abuse my gear, but I do use it heavily. I just found they weren't all that hardy.

Honestly, between a B&Z and the SP01 there is daylight. IMHO spend the extra and get the SP01

To be fair to the B&Z its been available since 1996 and has gone through a number of design changes over that time, I personally have made close on 4000 units with many thousands being made before I took on manufacturing. The originals had a hard wired cable to the audio source and were prone to failure which happened when the cable was set too tight on an operators harness, during digging a hole the cable would be constantly snapped tight breaking the shield wires.

I modified the design quite a few years ago so there was a removable/replaceable curly cable which has improved the reliability out of sight.

The B&Z has always been recommended for speaker use rather than headphones, for headphone use it is highly recommended to lower the detector Target volume to allow the booster volume pot to be increased above 2 to 2 1/2, this is the most common cause for the annoying hiss. The B&Z it is a simple design where the audio output is directly linked to the battery condition so over time the booster volume needs to be slowly lifted as the batteries discharge, in most cases I can get a minimum of 2 weeks x 8 hours a day detecting time out of a set of quality alkaline batteries, more if I use headphones.

We use a plastic housing over aluminium because detectors like the GPZ can see the aluminium enclosures from a mile away. The other most common issue is where people dump their harness in the back of utes or like to immerse themselves in dust while digging, over time fine dust filters through to the Volume pot and adheres to the lubricant on the pot causing an annoying cracking sound as the pot is adjusted. This is an easy fix by replacing the pot, I do mine every 2 years or so (I do a lot of detecting hours).

The only thing that will kill a B&Z booster is leaving batteries in for long periods when not in use, especially near the coast where there is a lot of corrosive moisture, the batteries leak and then kill the circuit. I recommend removing the batteries when in storage at the end of the season.

All boosters are repairable and upgradable unless the above has happened.

Thanks for the opportunity to put things straight.

JP

Hi JP,
I think I was being fair and even said I'd still be using them if the SP01 wasn't available, but I'll clarify.

I've had B&Z's prior to you taking them on and also a few made by you...probably the majority made by you.
I've had the ones with the cable integrated plus the separate cable version. If I remember correctly switches in different places too.
I've still got a couple and both are on loan at the moment to people who want to try a booster. I also still recommend them to people who don't want to fork out for the SP01 but I will readily admit the SP01 is my first choice.

The integrated cable version had cable problems no matter if the cable was secured tightly or not. I agree it's probably swinging and jolting while digging. But the separate cable seemed to suffer the same problem also at times and I have a stack of buggered ones here. Integrated, secured or not, it should be able to survive digging targets.

Probably every one I had, had problems with the batteries coming loose. No Biggy, just wedge a bit of cardboard in there fixed this.
The plastic tab on the battery lid breaks or the lid falls off easily.

The hum. 99% of my detecting was using speakers. I also used your recommended settings for volume and audio with the B&Z . I know the hiss you are referring to, this was not the hiss but a distinct hum.
What was odd is it seemed to be like an earthing problem. I can't recall which but it was when my coil either touched the ground or didn't touch the ground I would get the hum. I could cancel it by touching or holding the B&Z which was odd being plastic.

It may well have been something other than the B&Z, but unfortunately it showed up when using the B&Z.

My 3 prospecting vehicles are a Landcruiser ute with dropdown window, Perentie with no top but it does have a front window, and the Can-am with no windows but it does have a roof. The harness ride on the seat in all 3 but yes dust is a problem. I live in a dust bowl and digging holes is also dusty work.
If dust is an issue then unfortunately the B&Z might not be suitable for where I live and detect.

Regarding the plastic housing versus alloy housing of the SP01, if the 7000 is picking up the SP01 from a mile away, should it not then also be picking up my pick, pins, plates and various other bits of metal holding my body together? Wouldn't also a GPX with a large coil then also pick up the standard Minelab battery? Because honestly I cant tell that it is. I carry my pick on my shoulder and my SP01 is in the middle of my chest.

Thanks for the opportunity to put forward my experiences and honest opinion.

I have used both for years, and still have 2 old B&Z boosters as backups in case of failure of my SP01, which hasn't happened yet.

IMHO, where the SP01 wins hands down, is in two key areas.

1) Build quality in terms of the robust aluminium housing and metal clip. The B&Z is a plastic housing with plastic clip, and one of my two aforementioned has lost it's plastic battery cover.

2) The fast charging lithium ion battery, which lasts all day and very quick to recharge from a USB port, which means not having to have a supply of AAA's when out bush for months on end, as well as the ongoing cost of AAA batteries.

The SP01 is about $100 more, but IMHO, you get what you pay for.

Rick

Araratgold said:
I have used both for years, and still have 2 old B&Z boosters as backups in case of failure of my SP01, which hasn't happened yet.

IMHO, where the SP01 wins hands down, is in two key areas.

1) Build quality in terms of the robust aluminium housing and metal clip. The B&Z is a plastic housing with plastic clip, and one of my two aforementioned has lost it's plastic battery cover.

2) The fast charging lithium ion battery, which lasts all day and very quick to recharge from a USB port, which means not having to have a supply of AAA's when out bush for months on end, as well as the ongoing cost of AAA batteries.

The SP01 is about $100 more, but IMHO, you get what you pay for.

Rick

Araratgold where abouts do you put yours?

I now only use the SP01 and only on my SDC2300
The first pic was my wireless setup using the B&Z before I got the SP01. The Tx is on the SDC (different to the paired headphone Tx) The Rx plugs into the B&Z. This setup gave a constant hum using phones or speaker. The harness setup was dual purpose, wireless for the SDC, or, unplug the Rx and plug in to the GPX battery patch lead.
1605676239_2-sdc2300.jpg

This is now my setup on the SDC, the phones have an inbuilt wireless RX paired to the Tx on the front of the handle (phones not shown)
1605676239_sdc2300.jpg

Closeup of the Tx velcro to the handle for ease of removal for charging
1605676239_sdc2300-1.jpg

I've had 3 b&z boosters and same here, all had problems and my last one I've still got where I believe the hard wired cable is broken?
Money wasted............ Sorry JP.
I enquired to have this replaced only to be told it will cost to repair it. 8.(

This is my favourite booster I've had for almost 5 years now and it's the best one to date on my gpx 5000. Rechargeable 9v battery and all in one external speaker and booster.

https://www.vkteksolutions.com/default.htm

diggin4gold said:
I've had 3 b&z boosters and same here, all had problems and my last one I've still got where I believe the hard wired cable is broken?

This is my favourite booster I've had for almost 5 years now and it's the best one to date on my gpx 5000. Rechargeable 9v battery and all in one external speaker and booster.

diggin4gold,

Do yourself a favour and have a look at these, doesn't need any extra batteries, runs from the GPX battery.

I have used these on my 4000, 5000 and currently my wife's 4500. Good bit of kit. PS may clash with the 5000's amplified battery system, we are using Coiltek's pocket rocket system that does not have boosting !

https://www.reedsprospecting.com.au/shop/detail/supersound-de-tac-booster-5-pin-/

Cheers,
Rick

Started with nothing, moved to an older Rooster Booster I acquired second hand, nice step-up. Now have moved to the LTBOOSTER Series 3 from detector mods. Very happy with the whole set-up but modified one of the cables to suit my needs. If I hadn't have purchased the LT, I would have gone for Steel Phase, they are getting excellent reviews everywhere, but am completely happy with the LT, super quiet and clear, massively powerful when needed.

diggin4gold said:

Ask around your work/friends for someone who knows how to solder and tinker with electronic, it's a relatively easy fix and might cost you only a few beers??
I replaced my 5000's old batteries with higher capacity ones and only took an hour and the price of batteries. These things are quite basic inside and it's a shame that a simple fault should cost you a new unit.

My favorite tip...AliExpress pin pointers, $30 - $50 delivered. They out perform $300 "brand name" units. I have a few, one is super sensitive, another comes tuned the opposite. Great for every occasion and preference.

Thanks for your comments guys

Rick I like the V3 booster / speaker combo

A-team, I will eventually get a friend to check it out for me and keep it as a spare.

I've been using the B&Z on the Zed for about 2 years now and find it good. I've never seen the SP01 so have nothing to compare it with.
My only gripe with the one I have is the cover over the battery compartment which is difficult to open, or at least it was.
I went to Jaycar a couple of weeks ago and saw some battery holders and picked up some 2s, 3s and 4s thinking they were AA size but ended up being AAA size.
2 days ago I checked the batteries in my booster because they sounded off as if they were going flat and I had only changed them just before this second lockdown and they had hardly been used. One of the batteries had leaked and the battery holder had to be replaced and thankfully it required one of those I had incorrectly picked up at Jaycar.

It took a bit to remove the corroded battery holder but it was easily replaced. I personally hate integrated batteries in anything as if they stuff up then it is unlikely you will have a replacement with you and could take some time to get one.

As I said I haven't even seen the SP01 so cannot comment on the ease of replacing the battery, but I like the B&Z because it takes readily available batteries.

Regards Axtyr.

I found with a small amount of modification the B&Z booster works well using headphones as well on GPX5000 and SDC2300. :perfect: Need to change the headphone or speaker return shield actually go to battery ground. To do this the output connector gets changed for 3 conductor instead of two, slight wiring change to the four pole two position switch and AC couple the amplifier output. The buzzing sound from the coils is then almost non-existent. :pickshovel:

Latest posts