Audio Cables And Adapters Info.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am looking at buying one of these little XVive suckers to make the QED wireless. It is Wi-Fi rather than BlueTooth and has a less than 6 ms delay.

http://www.xviveaudio.com/product.asp?id=137

The issue is at the receiver end with that big 1/4 " male end.

I will need an adapter with a 1/4" female one end and a 3.5mm female other end so that my headphones can fit straight into them. The female to female adapters seem really difficult to find. Have Googled and ebayed and lots of different things but maybe I am not looking in the right places :|

Even a 1/4" female to 1/4 " female would do as I could then use a 1/4" male to 3.5mm female adapter although I would like to use as few connections as possible.

So, does anyone have a you-beaut website that just has every adapter conceivable...or does anyone here make up these sort of things? Anger Management, SteelPhase?

Cheers, NE.

Actually, I can find a zillion female to female 1/4 " options and female to female 3.5mm options but none that convert 1/4" female to 3.5mm female :awful:

I just had a quick look through all my catalogs and cant see anything ready made.

Its pretty easy to make - looks like you'll need a mono 6.35mm socket to a stereo 3.5mm socket (unless you have mono headphones?).

If you want one made up, just send me a PM.

regards Pat

Thanks for the link Woomera. I can't see a single unit there that is what I am after.

As it turns out SteelPhase should be able to make up what I am after and has also provided some fairly important information about stereo/mono connections with the QED in particular. Has probably saved me quite a few headaches than if I had just plugged the XVIVE straight into the QED audio output :eek:

Once everything is finalised and working I will put up a post in the QED section re: all the different connections/adaptions required. Not expensive but fiddly and not easy for a non-tech person like myself. Hopefully might make the process easy for the next person.

Cheers, NE.

NE, you are taking a bit of a gamble there cobber. Some WiFi systems play up with the electronics of the QED when mounted on the control box. This little gadget plugs straight into the detector rather than being on a short lead like the Z Lynk or Quest. The TDK transmitter likewise plugs straight into the detector, and does not cause any noticeable interference, so hopefully your cordless guitar setup will be the same. I found out the hard way that the Sennheiser TX caused the QED to be noisy and unstable when I mounted it on the box. Moving it slightly forward onto the stem cured the problem. You should soon know when you hook it up whether you have a problem or not. Make some comparisons with the cordless set up and a cable one and see if there is any change in noise and stability. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.
If it is a problem you may have to solder up a short 1/4" male to female cable and mount the TX on your stem, although having the extra join is what you are trying to avoid. Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Hi Reg,

Yes, it is a gamble but will hopefully work. If not, I know a muso who will probably take the system off my hands for a small discount. Although they apparently work perfectly on the GPX series.

SteelPhase has been very helpful and I have actually requested that the 1/4" male stereo to 3.5mm female mono set-up is actually on a 300mm length of cable for the exact reason of getting it away from the control box.

Were the Sennheiser's Bluetooth or Wi-Fi? From researching the subject there seems to be an ongoing theme of Wi-Fi (2.4GHz) working well and Bluetooth systems creating interference.

Hopefully the hunch pays off ;)

NE, as far as I know the Sennheiser set up is WiFi, but Mr. Beatty is the expert on these, and perhaps if he checks this post he will be able to clarify.
I did test a Bluetooth RX TX system which was very compact and had very little lag, but it played up with the QED electronics. I still have it, but prefer WiFi.

Latest posts