XP Deus useful info.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Found this floating around the WWW.

There are no set parameters on the Deus that will suit everyone!!!!
Use the settings on your Deus to achieve the best results for you and your environment. GB notch, correct use of audio discrimination, reactivity, silencer, learning the noises iron and coke makes etc etc etc. Its all subjective.
No two persons settings will be the same.
No two detectors are the same.
Slight soil, target, surroundings etc differences will make a difference to each and every persons settings. No one set of parameters will work properly for everyone.
You must all understand this point as it is so dam important! This is why set programs are bloody useless! They work yes but they WILL NOT work properly for everyone using them!
The below 'settings' or 'program' so to speak, can be used on ANY ground. This is a group of parameters that allows you to have your discrimination setting on Zero BUT still have full audio discrimination which does not affect that all important depth!
Please do not ask if these 'settings' will work on pasture, plough etc etc..... these 'settings will work on ANY ground. You need to set other parameters on your Deus for it to work effectively on YOUR ground and for YOUR days detecting!
I cannot emphasise the above statement enough!
IMPORTANT!
When you first turn on your Deus - remember to hold the coil up in free air away from anything, especially metal, Electric cables etc - until the white light on the coil changes from a bright 2x flashes every second sequence to a dimmer 1x flash per second sequence.
This is VERY important and needs to be done each and every time your Deus is switched on so it can calibrate it's self to null settings. Not having the coil in the air WILL compromise your Deus's ability to see targets correctly.
BELOW IS A SMALL BLOG I WROTE ABOUT THE USAGE OF THE XP DEUS.
Its for advice only but will help you on your way of understanding the complexity of the Deus.
I would like to take the opportunity to share this blog I made about the usage of the XP Deus as I feel there are a lot of new and excited people finding this group and I feel it is important for them/you to realise what the Deus is capable of.
Personally I really do not like the idea of the preset programs in the Deus as they make people 'lazy' to the operational skills of the Deus in that they hardly venture away from them. To my mind, it should have had ONE preset, maybe based around Deus Fast? and that one preset was alterable and save-able with maybe 3-4 memory slots available to do with what you want, to program at your will.
I still strongly believe in ONE program and when you switch on for the day you set your machine up on that one program to make it operate to what you require; to the soil and conditions of the day.
It makes me cringe when I hear people say that they have been 'on a new site today' and I used Basic 1, Basic 2, etc all day........ Well I will absolutely bet my bottom Pound/Dollar/Euro etc. that you would have found 'more' if you set (tuned) your detector up properly to your environment, soil and to yourself!
PLEASE people, get away from using those darn presets and LEARN your Deus.
REMEMBER, at the end of the day, a pocket full of non ferrous trash is exactly what you want! It PROOVES! without doubt you and your detector is working correctly!
This is so important! It does not matter if its trash, it matters you are finding it! Ok, its better if its not trash but its NOT ferrous and it COULD be potential good targets.
Firstly, anyone attempting this that is new to the Deus, I strongly suggest you read and inwardly digest the manual first off. I tried messing with mine when I first got it and screwed things up a bit and ended up having to revert everything back to default.
In V3.x this can easily be achieved now by selecting a preset program and then saving it to one of the 8 spare memory slots - 11 to 18.
Learn what each Deus setting does as it's important you do this. I read my manual about 5 times, and I HATE reading, but I was determined to learn what everything does. I spent all the money so decided for my own good that I must learn it smile emoticon
There is no point whatsoever in buying an expensive Smartphone and only ever using it to make phone calls! Unless of course you only buy it to impress your mates, girlfriend, cat etc !
The Deus has a whole lot to offer and there are many people out there who do not venture further than the preset's it comes with by not learning what each bit does and how it affects things.
Get out and use it too!!!
I didn't for a start and spent many an evening in front of the telly messing with it's settings but it's not until you actually get out there and use it that you really find what all the setting do. It's a bit daunting to start with but it will come clear as you go along and you start to notice when you alter a parameter, what effect it has on the machine.
Below is the only 'program' ( i hate that phrase!) that I use. It is a group of settings that will give you audio tone separation of good and bad signals i.e. if its Iron, or below 25 on the VDI (Visual Display Interface) it will be a low audible tone and if it is above 25 on the VDI then it will give you another higher audible tone in your ear. If it is above 90 then you will get an even higher audible tone in your ear.
The beauty of this program setting is that it enables you to do this with ZERO discrimination thus allowing you maximum depth!
Frequency of your choice - 4, 8, 12, or 18Khz
It has been tested that with discrimination set a 0 (Zero) you get around 4 inches of extra depth from the Deus in some soils than with the discrim set at a level higher than 15.
So how do you make an Audio Discrimination setting with discrimination set at Zero while using the 4 Tone system?
These settings are found in Menu/ Disc/ Expert:
The first audio tone is set at 100 or 150Hz, your choice.
The second audio tone ALSO at 100 or 150Hz (the same audio tone must be used for tone 1 & 2)
The third audio tone at 547hz (somewhere in the middle range or whatever you are used to for GOOD signals)
The fourth audio tone at 800hz (highest tone possible)
This will give you a good tonal range in order to distinguish the different signals.
Why do we set the first two tones at 100Hz?
Because now we can set the first audio threshold at 0 (Zero) Discrimination and not higher e.g. 6.8 or 4.6 or 10 which would automatically set the discrimination level at 6.8 or 4.6 or 10 and would straight away give you loss in depth.
The T3 threshold is set at 25, which gives an iron tone to any target below 25, again, this figure is personal preference and can be set to whatever you want its just that I find anything under this figure isn't worth a dig!
The T4 threshold is set at 90, in an attempt to separate silver targets from copper ones. Again, this figure is personal preference and can be set to whatever you want. By doing this, it now sets any target between 25 & 80 to sound off your 3rd audio tone, in this case 547Hz and any target over 90 to set off your tone 4, in this case 800Hz but still keeping that Discrimination level at Zero.
You now have an all metal mode with visual ID in the screen and Audio tonal ID in your ears, so it sounds out on every metal target, but separates the audio into low tones: i.e. Iron, middle tones: Silver etc., and high tones: Copper etc.
In the Deus V3.x firmware version, you now have a 5 tones setting so another level of audio tone discrimination is available if you so require it.
There is also the option of 'Full Tones' where the audio target discrimination can use a Linear audio tone for metal target identification. The lower the tone the more chance it has of being Iron and the higher the tone the better quality the metal analysed could be i.e. the higher the VDI number the higher the audible tone in your ears.
This setting is not too good a setting for Iron infested sites, unless of course you like to hear what is going on beneath your feet i.e. maybe iron nails from a plough scattered coffin/boat/chest etc, but if the ground is clean and you want maximum depth with some sort of audio ID then this is a killer and is a really good idea.
Discrimination can be added by simply going to your Menu/ Disc setting and altering it from ZERO to whatever setting you require but you will still get audio tonal discrimination but will loose signals below whatever you set the discrim level too. Remember, the higher you set the discrimination level the more depth you will loose.
Now, where you put the thresholds, as mentioned, is up to personal preference of course because local targets/soil can be different, but I think its really smart way of getting a setting with maximum depth possible and still retain audio ID so you don't have to swing and look at the display the whole time.
Once you have your new settings then save them in one of your spare program/memory slots as JIM'S DONKEY smile emoticon and ALTER it each and every time you go out detecting!
A thread containing a video of how to input these settings can be found here:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10152223714141656
And remember folks, get away from those silly preset's, by sticking with them you are NOT using your Deus anywhere near to its best capabilities and you WILL be loosing out on signals!
Thanks for reading this and I hope it helps someone out.

couldnt of said it better myself thats why i say its good to find trash .

here are my settings in trashy areas

ground balance : auto
reactivity : 3
silencer : 0 ( i dont care if im digging trash as long as im digging stuff )
disc : 10
sens : 85 ( as to not dig to much iron or trash ) if im looking for deep coins then i increase .sometimes i will lower to 80 depending on conditions.
notch : this is optional sometimes i use it ,sometimes i dont . 51-70 (mainly trash altho some gold can fall in here)
fulltone or 2 tone depends on how im feeling :).

dig everything about 75 if you want coins and stuff alot of silver and coins fall above 75 .

but im just starting to dig older coins so not totally sure what these fall under yet .

i find full tones is best to learn but at first its hard to learn because you are getting so many tones but if you set your machine on 2-3 tones i found i was getting lazy because when you have 2-3 times alot of stuff falls under that and sometimes you get lazy hear a low tone and then dont dig it when a low tone could essentually be gold .so this is why full tones is better because there is so many differant tones for objects that it makes you check things over and look at the tid numbers for any indications of stability in the numbers and then this in turn can help you find gold and keep you alert .

its very easy to use 2-3-4-5 tones and just become lazy but full tones keeps you on your tones looking for stablilty and any tone thats why i feel even tho full tones is hard and its time consuming because you get so many tones going off it does force you to become a better detectorist in the long run and it would also prove to find you more targets being more focused .

Latest posts