Are Victorian Sapphires worth cutting

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rivarat

Brad Grant
Reaction score
I'm considering sending over a small parcel of stones to be cut. Most likely to Lambert's.
Some Victorian sapphires, zircons (if I can find where I put them) I like the look of some of the black faceted stones so maybe some spinel or tourmaline. How does black tourmaline like faceted, or should I leave that at home.
I've never had any stones cut before, so I don't know what to ask for.
Eye clean?
calibrated or not?
what type of cut or leave that to them?
probably won't be having them set, just displayed in some boxes.
The hardest question that my wife asked is what would they be worth when cut? I know its a bit like how long is a bit of string.
How small to send?

Sorry photos a little fuzzy but that the best I could do with my phone.
The dark one in the center is the one I holding in the second pic, looks green from the side but nice from the top.

[
1438248836_photo0199.jpg

1438248836_photo0201.jpg

Plenty of people like black stones I've found. I prefer them more transparent but that's just me. I cut a sapphire the other night, when the rough stone was held to the light it was a beautiful royal blue. Put it on a piece of white paper and it was black. I knew it would cut a black stone and so it did. Still has flashes of blue when turned in the light but is essentially black. It doesn't do all that much for me but a co-worker I showed it to loved it, she has black stones in much of her jewellery. What looks good is very much a personal thing. I do like black stones but more as cabochoned stones, if I'm going to facet it I want to be able to see through it.

Difficult to tell from the photos but some of them may be facetable. The rough stone will dictate the cut, with stones that small there isn't much to play around with. You could try sending them and see what they say.

I've got a bunch about that size, very nice coloured little yellows, greens , blues and parti's, you've inspired me to have a go at cutting them :)

Rivarat,

I send stones to Lamberts all the time, so they will cut any stone that you instruct them, for example, if you want eye clean they will do this or otherwise return the stones if they are unable to cut to your specifications. Victorian stones are lovely but unfortunately they're not good size in the main, so very frustrating. I would send a parcel of around 20 -30 stones (to give them the opportunity to evaluate and cut some good stones) and the turn around is usually 12 weeks. Always worth a try in my opinion! All the best.

Thanks All
I still have to find a few more to send but will probably bulk it out with some zircon, spinel may a few smokies.
As I really have no knowledge in cutting can you explain about the size in the main, how is it orientated in sapphireS?
The one I'm holding is about 6mm long 4mm wide although only 2.5mm thick. There seems to be a great wealth of knowlede on the forum, great stones. I find it amazing the beautifull gems people on the forum are turning out.

You get your sapphires in beechworth rivarat? And omg I just noticed your in Benalla... I've just gone through hell with that joint and Mansfield for a year.. but I know it pretty well. Took my girls to that massive park with the rocket slide thing :D

Supposibly the area there is a similar basin to one in south africa which has a bit of uranium deposits..

I can prob visit one day mate on my way up to Beechworth

Cool mate, no probs! Ill PM you when I'm heading towards the area :)

Not sure about the sapphire size, its very small, but hopefully someone will have some details for you if they can be cut or not

I took a stab in the dark to fill out a pack to send to Lamberts and had a bid on Ebay on some stones, the photos on the listing wasn't that great and the was no indication on the size of them. But I did notice a few sapphires in the pictures so I thougth it would be worth a try. They were from a deceased estate in QLD, so I assume they are probably from there somewhere.

This is what I got in the mail today.
84 stones just over 150 carrats ranging from 1 to just over 3 each. Happy with my $12 purchase. Cheaper than the petrol to go looking for them.
The bright light is a bit harsh and washed alot of the colour from the photo.

1442217001_stones.png
1442217029_photo0218.jpg

Latest posts