are vacuums allowed for cleaning out crevices???

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan1981

Ryan Talbot
Reaction score
Hi people, my mate and i were thinking of using a battery powered vacuum for crevices.

Is that allowed, or would it be considered dredging??

Don't want to get in trouble/wreck our hobby for other.
any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thank
Ryan

Im interested in Archeology and we are looking for old matter.

Let's put it this way. Long time ago hunting on Sundays was prohibited by the law. You were supposed be in the church on Sundays. It did not stop me to hunt on Sundays. Of course I did not parade with the rifle in front of cop station before I went to hunt.
Karl

I wish it was legal . it would be an intelligent way technically speaking , and also environmentally safe

yet the laws prohibit it

go figure.

feel free to make a short video explaining how it would be done and ask to meet with the authority in your state to get their opinion if it could be excluded and permitted.

( just when you make the video , throw the gold back where it came from - for the benefit of the camera )

who knows , they might see the sense in it and actually come to the table with a friendly response ?

Thanks for the responses guys. I asked my mate to post the question whilst i was at work. My current Hilti vacuum has had it and when i rang to order a new one they told me they have a new battery powered full size vacuum for "only" $3200 hahaha, although i figured it would make quick work of crevices i simply cant justify such an astronomical price given i could just but the regular vacuum and sill have almost 2k to buy a Honda generator lol.

that website looks like he has some good plans - too bad i'm a tight ass........ i don't pay for bloody plans!

You can get a vacuum way cheaper than that -see

De Walt wet and dry vacuum being used in crevices on you tube-sorry cant post link

as I am a new member.Has anyone tried the De Walt vacuum featured in this clip?

tika said:
You can get a vacuum way cheaper than that -see

De Walt wet and dry vacuum being used in crevices on you tube-sorry cant post link

as I am a new member.Has anyone tried the De Walt vacuum featured in this clip?

Its not legal to use in Australia

Unless someone puts together an explanatory video and approaches their local govt department to obtain a written authority to use them based upon the fact there is no environmental risk from using one.

If the current legislation is intended to stop "bulk excavation" then the vacuum is about 20 times slower than a shovel so i cant see that aspect being an issue.

We have a lack of clarity in the legislation and a lack of intelligent application in the way the legislation is written :(

"Whats that you ask sir ?" why i'm vacuuming up ANTS for my ant farm. and the gravel is a byproduct
which i will wash and sort for free at no cost to the Gubament with my sluice, and replace it back into the creek
good as new, "and may i say" at NO extra cost or charge to the Gubament for my professional services :lol: :lol: :lol:

There's always a loophole ;)

Mikita have a good 18v vac. Costs a bit though !
It's not illegal to clean up the broken glass that the greenies left behind !

I have a wet/dry vac 18v 7.5 ltr from Milwaukee. I use it in my job doing pool rennos.
It cost $169.00 from ToolDirect. The suction is very strong even a few feet underwater.

Hi Showmethemoney.

I cant find the runtime specs but have had to empty the unit 9-10 times when cleaning main drains in pools on just one battery then used the same battery for my drill and its not gone flat. hope this helps.

PRODUCT OVERVIEW

Working on all Milwaukee 18-volt slide-on batteries, REDLITHIUM or NiCd, the Milwaukee 0880-20 Wet/Dry Vacuum offers long continuous run time and high air power and suction to provide quick and easy removal of dust, debris and water. A washable, reusable wet/dry HEPA filter delivers excellent fine dust collection and does not need to be changed between wet and dry applications. The stackable toolbox design, on-board hose and accessory storage offer excellent portability and convenience, a built-in blower port allows the vacuum to double as a blower, and the 1-1/4 in. hose allows standard vacuum attachments to be fastened. It includes vacuum, filter, hose, a crevice tool, and a wide nozzle.

Powerful motor to provide strong suction and air flow
Reusable, HEPA-rated wet/dry filter provides excellent fine-dust collection included with the Milwaukee 0880-20
Works on all Milwaukee 18-volt slide-on batteries, RED lithium or NiCd
Tool box style for easy transport and storage
Built-in blower port allows the vacuum to function as a blower
The Milwaukee 0880-20 has a 1-1/4 in. hose accommodates standard vacuum attachments
On-board accessory and hose storage
Compatible chargers: M18/M12 multivoltage (48-59-1812), M18 AC/DC (2710-20)
Compatible batteries: compact 1.5 Ah (48-11-1815), compact 2.0 Ah (48-11-1820), extra capacity 3.0 Ah (48-11-1828), extended capacity 4.0 Ah (48-11-1840)
Includes: (1) 0880-20 M18 cordless lithium-ion wet/dry vaccum, (1) filter, (1) wireless vinyl hose, (1) crevice tool, (1) wide utility nozzle

Return To Top
SPECIFICATIONS
Air Volume (CFM) 45 Amperage (amps) 2.8
Assembled Depth (in.) 8.5 in Assembled Height (in.) 11.5 in
Assembled Width (in.) 19 in Built-In Accessory Storage Yes
Built-In Drain No Casters No
Color Family Reds / Pinks Color Family Red
Cord Length (ft.) 0.0 Filter Type HEPA
Hose Diameter (In.) 1.75 in Hose Length (ft.) 3 in
Manufacturer Warranty 5 Years Peak Horsepower 0 hp
Product Depth (in.) 18.5 in Product Height (in.) 15 in
Product Weight (lb.) 9.4 lb Product Width (in.) 11 in
Reconditioned No Returnable 30-Day
Vacuum Capacity (Gallons) 2 Voltage (volts) 18

Cheers :) :)

Thanks everyone for your comments,its an interesting debate for the bureaucrats.lol
The good old gray area......

Might have to (invest in an ANT farm)lol

Cheers:)

HeadsUp said:
I wish it was legal . it would be an intelligent way technically speaking , and also environmentally safe

yet the laws prohibit it

go figure.

feel free to make a short video explaining how it would be done and ask to meet with the authority in your state to get their opinion if it could be excluded and permitted.

( just when you make the video , throw the gold back where it came from - for the benefit of the camera )

who knows , they might see the sense in it and actually come to the table with a friendly response ?

Agreed i will be working on it,as i think its a good option for some areas. And really its only for removing small amounts of material,environmentally its a great idea.
The only thing would be the noise of a vacuum,unless the greenies don't vac there houses,lol

Cheers
Rhino

Latest posts