Are Electricity pylon pathways fair game ?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gunter

Karl Wagner
Reaction score
Hi pa members ,

While prospecting in some state forests , I noticed the huge pylons , cutting a cleared path through the forest , and endless private property ! Is the land the pylons are on fair game , crown land , or what ?

And silly question ... would the magnetic fiend of the powerlines affect a metal detector ?

Thanks

Gunter

Not tried that and can't speak to the legalities of it. I believe that a GPX would go nuts as they also provide signalling info over the power lines and that would smash my 4500 without a DD in Cancel (even the ac would), but believe that the GPZ may be OK (it has a large EMI advantage over the GPXs). I have seen the GPZ used by a pro under barbed wire fencing when swung exactly parallel to the fencing line, and this guy has cleaned up gold under long fences where other detectors (like my GPX) can't even get close.

For those interested, the 18x4 nuggeteer coil, that i was trying to flog, is actually designed to reduce the EM from power lines, due to its shape.

Likely it would depend on the direction of the coil in relation to the powerlines, the field of the line being more capable of inducing current in the coil, if it were parallel to the line. With a round coil, its always parallel.

With the 18x4 if you rotate it by 90 degrees you will only have the 4 inch parallel to the lines, rather than the 18inch.

That's the theory, but i've never used it under powerlines, and i find the 11mono works better, for everything else.

Latest posts