Anyone Built a DIY metal detector?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
OK so I'm just starting out on the metal detecting hobby, and having a reasonable amount of electronic skill, and not a lot of cash ATM, i'm thinking of building one of these DIY metal detectors, preferably a PI one.

Anyone built one or seen a reliable review of one? The Surf PI one looks good, but sounds more like a beach/coin hunter, where as i'm in the golden triangle looking for gold(coins/relic would be good to as i'm still a noob, would be good to find something)

Thanks

Thanks for the link.

I was hoping to hear from someone who had used the finished product, i regards to how well they are able to find things

I have the ebay tacoma 56 square board surf PI DD board, already asssembled.($AU100) It fits perfectly in the Futurekit box- $22 for 4 delivered from Kitstop (Au). My shaft is a telescopic dust broom(handle) Best Buys, $12. A 3x18650 holder supplies 11.1 -12.6 volts. Had to nick a little piece out of 2 corners to fit past the screwhole lugs. This board has 4 external pots.
Bought a s/hand 10x5 ML DD commander for it ($90).
I haven't set it up yet because I have been making a self designed IB/Beat Balance. Designed and etched my own board, but blew the pre-amp. The trimpot on the reg was faulty, and when zero resistance it put 12 volts through the TDA2822 pre-amp and smoked it! Just bypassed it to the LM358n amp. Not as loud, but workable. It was loud enough for a deaf person in a howling gale before. The DD coil was set up on a Matchless detector, I also etched the board for.
Coil shielding is silver powdered milk bag. This needs no earth lead.
It will see a 5c piece at 20cm, on the steel reinforced concrete. 25cm for a 2c piece. At 110khz it is better on gold/copper than silver/alloy. This design, as with the Matchless inherently ignores iron. Small side-cutters signal less than a 10c at the same distance. Steel signalling normal-high-normal. Non-ferrous signals normal-low-high-normal, or normal-high-low-normal, depending on swing direction.
I'm a member on geotech, but I could not believe the amount of corporate dis-information there.

I dis-assembled the ML Commander. It has about 50 winds of Litz wire one side (1.2 ohms) and about 40(?) of (looks about) .3mm enamelled on the other.(13.4 ohms). With my limited knowledge, I am presuming there is a 5:1 frequency ratio which enhances the signal better than 1:1., and eddy current advantages(?).
It has graphited paper shielding, connected to earth.

After the surf, my next projects will be silverdogs Minipulse Rev D (kit), and the XR 71 sniffer(built board) off ebay.
I don't own or know how to use an oscilloscope, but my multi-meter has frequency measurement, and I have just purchased a digital secohmeter(kit).

In my opinion PIs' are highly over-rated. The biggest furphy being their ability to discriminate. It's all well and good to have something that punches deeper, but as soon as the ground conditions deteriorate it must be dumbed down. Indeed much of the Triangle is beyond the settings of any PI. Many production vlfs, including my GMT, also cannot inherently handle ironstone. That is my reason for self-making.
1444562772_camera_364.jpg
1444562811_camera_365.jpg
1444562869_camera_368.jpg
1444563422_araratstawell_gold_011.jpg

Tim said:
In my opinion PIs' are highly over-rated. The biggest furphy being their ability to discriminate. It's all well and good to have something that punches deeper, but as soon as the ground conditions deteriorate it must be dumbed down. Indeed much of the Triangle is beyond the settings of any PI. Many production vlfs, including my GMT, also cannot inherently handle ironstone.

Sorry but I couldnt disagree with you more. PI's dont ever claim to discriminate as the current design theory does not lend itself for discrimination.

And PI's are not 'dumbed down' to compensate for mineralised ground. A Pi machine looks at the decay time of the signal. In mineralised ground that decay signal not only has the target decay signal but also the decay signal of the mineralised ground. What most PI machines do is try to determine that signal of the mineralised ground and subtract it from the combined signal, leaving only the target signal. Power is not reduced and generally there is no 'dumbing down'. If the ground is very severe, sometimes a different pulse train may be used where it can give the appearance of less power but its certainly not dumbing down.

As for Pi's in the GT - the evidence proves beyond any doubt that PI's out perform any other machine in the search for gold.

A good book to read and perhaps learn a bit of the theory behind it all is 'Inside the metal detector'. Its written by the guys who developed the Minipulse Plus. One was also a Whites engineer who now works for Texas.

Also you may need to get a cro if you really want to get the most out of the MPP kit. Timings can only be accurately done on a cro.

Tim said:
Not satisfied with bagging my opinion on the "other" website? Come over here for a troll now?
Whatever, mate.................
So you should be allowed to spread misinformation unchallenged?

Mis-informed, ignorant and opinionated I may well be, but my experience is first hand. Call me the flat earth society if you wish. It will take more than heresay and corporate propaganda to blind this lemming. :)
Will a PI see a piece of gold through virtually solid ironstone? Will it see the same piece of gold, at the same depth on quiet ground better, or not?

Have you found any gold with these DIY kit machines as that is what the OP will be searching for & what he is asking about? How is the ground balancing on them in mineralised ground? I've seen a couple of builds on forums over the years but the general consesus has been that the ground balancing abilities are minimal to zero & as such they are a good electronics project &/or a cheap build for benign to moderate ground, dry beach, parks etc. but no good on our inherently moderate to highly mineralised goldfields. Have they been improved?
Also the "furphy" of the PI's ability to discriminate well? Where does that come from? The majority of PI users I know will tell you about the limitations with any discrimination on offer rather than promote it's abilities.
As for Minelab machines well their latest PI (SDC2300) has no discrimination at all & either does the new ZVT technology (GPZ7000). They're hardly pushing the discrimination barrow there!
If BFO, IB, Beat Balance etc. were the way forward then in my opinion smarter & more corporate orientated people than us would be all over them by now.
"Will a PI see a piece of gold through virtually solid ironstone? Will it see the same piece of gold, at the same depth on quiet ground better, or not?"
Will the BFO etc.?
I've detected gold with a PI that was encased in ironstone.
In quiet ground your probably not getting any advantage with a PI over a VLF.
No offense but I'll stick to newer technology rather than take a leap back 40 years on the basis of hearsay & unproven corporate hate propaganda :lol:

Mate, you answered my question with another question. Can anybody tell me the answer? I know both these homebuilds will see a 1c piece through a set of fencing pliers. I make no apology for my distrust, and unless I was trying to sell you something, it could hardly be called propaganda. :lol: :lol:

Tim said:
Not satisfied with bagging my opinion on the "other" website? Come over here for a troll now?
Whatever, mate.................

Mate I have not been on Geotech for ages. Wouldnt even know your nickname on Geotech. I couldnt be bothered trolling people as I have better things to do. If someone is giving you a hard time over there then I would assume that perhaps its because the information you were providing is not correct.

As a tech with over 30 years experience in electronics (thats practical hands on experience), having built many experimental detector circuits - if I see information I feel is incorrect, I will say something.
I have not bagged your builds and I dont doubt they work, but I do have practical experience when it comes to PI machines.
What you say about PI machines is incorrect. Perhaps you can give examples of a machine that dumbs down its settings in difficult ground? I will then look up the specs and see if that is the case.
If you want I am prepared to test my 7000 against one of your circuits in the gold fields. The 7000 does not claim to have discrimination but I can guarantee that it will find gold deeper than anything you (or myself for that matter) could build.

No definitive answer yet. Just more of the same. SteelPat, perhaps you could post some pics of the detectors you have made? I am sure all watching this post would be interested.
I'm sure you can justify the price of the 7000.

I am not sure what the question is. You are saying your machine will discriminate. I have not said it wouldnt.

All I have said is that you are not correct in what you said about PI machines.

I dont want to be able to find a 1c coin behind some steel. I want to find gold in ironstone - so I choose the machine thats best suited for that job - a PI machine. My 7000 isnt particularly suited for relic work on the beach. It will work but there may be better machines. But its not designed for that purpose.

We need to stop comparing apples and oranges.

Still wouldnt mind some sort of acknowledgement that it was uncalled for accusing me of trolling you on another site.

Sorry Steel Pat if I mistook you for someone else.

Surely this question is self-explanatory. Will a PI see the gold through virtually solid ironstone? Also will it see it better if the ground has no ironstone?
I feel like I"m asking politicians. A direct answer will do fine thanks.

Just purchased the XR 71 kit off ebay. The cats got everyones tongue on my ironstone question. Anyone care to pass an informed comment on this detector?

No photos of your homebuilds for the original poster? Just a rampant vendetta.
Not one squeak about ironstone.
Marauder, it doesn't look like you will get any useful advice here. Apparently mine is worthless.

I apologise to all for coming out on the back foot.

Latest posts