Ancestor owned a gold mine.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A story my dad has told me from when I was a boy, is about how my great great grandfather actually owned a quite successful gold mine in Bendigo many moons ago. We don't know the name of the mine or details, but we do know that while the old boy was loaded, he spent all the money on importing the biggest and best state of the art at the time water pumps to pump the invading ground water out of the mine. It didn't work, so he moved to Mount Gambier SA, and opened a barber shop and tobaconist shop. Id love to find out more but it seems hard to find any info about the mine at Bendigo. I know he lived at Kangaroo flat. Also a real clustery, as his son was named after him and a grandson also, so at least 3 George William Free's floating around about the same area and time. I did manage to find another couple of mining leases he had just around Wedderburn, nobody knew anything about. Thinking about checking them out next time I head over. Any suggestions on where to look for info would be greatly appreciated. George William Free was born in 1830 and died in 1923. His grand daughter, Ruby, is my grandmother and is still alive at 100 years old and approaching 101 in about a weeks time, her memory isn't what it used to be. But my dad asked her about it last week and she said she can remember going and seeing the mine with her grandfather when she was a little girl. Wow! So I'm guessing given the death of George in 1923, and Nans birth in 1914, she couldn't have been more than 4 or 5 at most. Another relly, I dont know them researched through a local papers archives and comfirmed the story a few years ago. Don't know anything other that. I get the feeling there is more to this story.

Try a 'Trove' search Chewy, outside of that a friend of mine is and has been doing research on Mine owners and Mines in the Bendigo area, I'll catch up with him and see if he has any info, might take a while but! :)

Trove has a wealth of information - I managed to find the reported takings from my father-in law's depression era mine in the digitised Argus.

dwt said:
Try a 'Trove' search Chewy, outside of that a friend of mine is and has been doing research on Mine owners and Mines in the Bendigo area, I'll catch up with him and see if he has any info, might take a while but! :)
Thanks dwt, I'd appreciate your friends input if they know anything or can find anything. I have looked on trove but came up empty handed. Tried slv, but found nothing there either. It was actually geovic that I found the old mine leases at Wedderburn on, but nothing about the 1 at Bendigo. I don't really know where to look next. Thanks again.

Big Nugget said:
here's one from the Bendigo Advertiser 1894 (centre column last paragraph).

"insolvency meeting"
very interesting Chewy.
Sounds like your Great Great Grandfather had some clout.

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/88932174?searchTerm=\"George Free mine"&searchLimits=
I guess maybe it helps to know what to look for to. Thanks Big nugget. I'm quite surprised it was so early on. I wonder if he went bust, and got some money together and had another bash at it, that would fit in with the story we have heard from Nan years ago. We kinda thought it might have been a family myth to start off with. Nan definitely reckons she can remember going there when she was little, but I don't know what age. I'd put it down to a old ladies confusion but she's been saying this for years dad said. It's very interesting finding out the story as bits of the puzzle emerge. I'd love to find the old mine ust to know where it is, but I'd really love it's possible to have swing and a dig around it to. Find out the history etc, also hoping old George might guide me to a nugget or 2. Lol That'd make smile I reckon. Geez we have some long livers in our family tree, George was 93 when he died and that was back in 1923. Nan is about to turn 101, another relly made it 105. I'm gunna claim the pension when I'm old enuff and send the buggers broke. Hehehe

some great history there mate and i hope you find the spot.

Seeing that nobody showed up to the meeting, creditors etc, suggest that;

A - they were too scared to do so?
B - It was sorted behind closed doors, more than likely.

Great story.

Great story Chewy , seems you have some serious genes working for you as well , you will probably be swinging and digging well into your 90's mate :)

Cheers and good luck

Bacchus said:
Great story Chewy , seems you have some serious genes working for you as well , you will probably be swinging and digging well into your 90's mate :)

Cheers and good luck
5hit, I bloody hope so Bacchus. It'll take me till then to find my first bit at this rate. Lol I'm a bit busy this month coming up. Nans b'bday, mothers day, wedding anniversary. So I'm hoping to get over for a swing towards the end of the month if I can.

Nope buggered if I can find it. I found he registered a claim on 19/5/1881, and the claim number was #8264. But thats as much as I can find. I'm scratching my head again.

GDay CHEWY.

Perhaps the following TROVE digitised Victorian newspapers on-line references to George W. Free may be of interest to you and/or your family:

THE ADVERTISER ADELAIDE (Saturday 22 February 1919 Page 10) titled AN EVENTFUL CAREER. COLONIST OF 70 YEARS LOOKS BACK. :
There are few people in Mount Gambier who do not know that sturdy old colonist Mr George W. Free. Still actively engaged in business and in constant attendance at his tobacconist's shop, he celebrated on Wednesday the eighty-ninth anniversary of his birth. He was born at Margate, Kent, and after leaving school learnt the bakery trade. At the age of 19 he decided to try his fortune in Australia, and in November, 1849, he reached Melbourne. Shortly after landing Mr. Free was offered a situation at his trade, at 10/ per week, but refused it. "I came out to Australia to go forward." he said, ''and could get 17/6 a week at the bakery trade in England." His first job in Australia was as "a baker and cook at Glenarthur, 14 miles from Melbourne. He remained there for a time, and then worked at various occupations near Melbourne and saved 20, with which he purchased two allotments in Collingwood. In 1851 he went to the Ballarat goldfields, and from there to Forest Creek, Friar's Creek, and Beechworth. Having done well at the diggings, he went into business in Ballarat as a general storekeeper. On November 2, 1859, he married Miss Amelia Turner, and she, like her husband, is still hale and hearty. The old couple will, in November next, celebrate their diamond wedding. Shortly after his marriage Mr. Free again caught the gold fever, and for 20 months tried his luck with varying success at the Lochland diggings. Then he joined a party on a trip to the Northern Territory, whence reports had come of a big find of gold. On the homeward journey a thrilling experience occurred. When well out from land the steering gear of the vessel-a flat bottomed ketch-broke down, and it "was not until the little ship, with its 50 passengers, had been adrift for five months, during which time she covered 1,000 miles, and along the dangerous rock-bound coast of Western Australia and the Australian Bight, that Adelaide was safely reached. "This finished my sea- faring life," remarked Mr. Free. "It was an awful experience, and we were all delighted to be on land again." From Adelaide Mr Free went to Clunes, where he became a partner with his brother in-law in a butchering business. He retired from active work and tried his luck as a speculator. Mining shares were his speciality, but misfortune overtook him, and in one year he lost all his savings, about 6,000, on ventures at Ballarat. He faced the world again, and went to Bendigo at the time of the gold rush and after a residence of 30 years in that district, during which time he followed various occupations, he, with his wife and the younger members of his family, removed to Mount Gambier. This was about 14 years ago, and Mr. Free has since lived here. He has in many ways proved himself a valuable member of the community. He has been a Freemason for 53 years, having been initiated at the Yarrowe Lodge, Ballarat, in 1864. In 1870 he was appointed W.M. of the Yarrowe Lodge. He was also for 30 years a member of the Kangaroo Flat, Bendigo, Methodist Church, during which time he filled every office, including for 23 years that of superintendent of the Sunday school. In addition he took an active part in all matters having for their object the advancement of the communities in which he lived Mr. and Mrs. Free have nine children Messrs. George W. Free (Melbourne), Fred E. Free (Boulder City . Western Australia), Edgar N. Free, M.P. (Brisbane), and Leslie W. Free (Mount Gambier); and Mesdames W. Taylor (Mount Gambier), F. Taylor, and F. Roberts (Bendigo), J. Stephenson (Mount Gambier. formerly of Bendigo), and R. Battye (Echuca). There are 31 grandchildren and nine great-grandchildren.

THE ADVERTISER ADELAIDE (Thursday 7 June 1923 Page 12) titled OBITUARY:
Mr. George W. Free, who died at Mount Gambier on Monday, in his 94th year, had been in the South-East for 18 years. He had lived in Australia for 74 years and had many interesting experiences in the early days. Born at Margate Kent (England), on February 19, 1830, he learnt the bakery trade after his schooling days had passed. On August 20, 1849, at the age of 19 years, he left for Australia in the Royal George, and after three months on the water arrived at Hobson's Bay, Melbourne. Melbourne was in flood at the time. Owing to the ruling prices for the bakery trade being low, Mr. Free decided to try his fortune on the gold diggings, which were then booming. He began at Ballarat, went through Forest Creek, Friar's Creek, and Beechworth, and settled at Geelong. On November 2, 1859, Mr Free was married by the Ven. Archdeacon Stretch, to Miss Amelia Turner, who died a few years ago. Soon after his marriage Mr. Free again proceeded to the diggings, at which he did well for about 20 months. He was one of a party, on his return to Ballarat, who left in the French barque from Hobson's Bay on a trip to the Northern Territory, where it was reported gold had been found in abundance. On the homeward journey the party of 50 passengers had an unenviable experience. Their vessel struck a reef and broke down, and the party was helpless. It was not until after five months' drifting, during which the vessel covered over 1,000 miles of rough seas along the dangerous coast of Western Australia and the Australian Bight, that Adelaide was reached. From Adelaide Mr. Free proceeded to Clunes, near Ballarat, where he successfully conducted a butchery business. He then retired from active business and tried his luck at speculating. He took up mining shares, but in one year lost over 6,000 and had to begin again. This time he went to Bendigo during the gold rush, and after successfully carrying on a bakery and butchering business he went to Mount Gambier with the younger members of his family in 1905. Mr. Free was a Freemason for 59 years and was initiated in the Yarrowe Lodge, Ballarat, in 1861. In 1870 he received the Master's degree of that lodge. He was for 30 years a valuable worker in the Kangaroo Flat (Bendigo) Methodist Sunday-school, and filled the position of superintendent for 23 years. At Mount Gambier he was also a valued member of the Methodist circuit, and his services were recognised when he resigned a few years ago. Mr. Free leaves four sons Messrs. G. W. Free (Melbourne), F. E. Free (Boulder City (W.A.), E. N. Free (Sydney), and L. W. Free (Mount Gambier)and five daughtersMesdames W . H. A. Taylor (Mount Gambier). J. Stevenson Mount Gambier, late of Bendigo), F. Taylor, F. Roberts and R. Battye (Bendigo). "

Also;
BENDIGO ADVERTISER (Tuesday 19 July 1892 Page 4) titled CITY POLICE COURT.

BENDIGO ADVERTISER (Monday 8 May 1893 Page 4) titled REGISTRATION NOTICES i.e. Registered Shareholder of The New Comet Gold Mining Company.

BALLARAT ADVERTISER (Wednesday 9 July 1884 Page 1) titled COUNTY COURT.

THE BALLARAT COURIER (Tuesday 23 August 1870 Page 4) titled MINING NOTICES i.e. Registered Shareholder of The Temperance Consols Quartz Mining Company.

Several references in THE BALLARAT STAR (1869) to one George W. Free, Esq. Ballart, Director of the Golden Lake Company, Beechworth.

THE BALLARAT STAR (Friday 13 August 1869 Page 1) titled MINING.

THE BALLARAT STAR (Monday 7 June 1869 Page 4) titled MISCELLANEOUS MINING i.e. Registered Shareholder of Halford Quartz Mining Company.

GEELONG ADVERTISER (Thursday 27 June 1861 Page 3) titled PUBLICANS NIGHT LICENSES.

GEELONG ADVERTISER AND INTELLIGENCER (Friday 28 March 1856 Page 2) titled EXTENSION OF LICENSE.

GEELONG ADVERTISER AND INTELLIGENCER (Tuesday 23 October 1855 Page 2) titled CORONERS INQUEST.

Cheers,
BU$HRANGER.

Latest posts