an afternoon in a creek

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacksprat

john crawford
Reaction score
the other day , I went for a walk up a creek that feeds out of the connondale ranges in se qld and runs into the mary river , I wish I could post some photos but ,(1) I don't know how to ,I took some , but I need my daughter to show me how to do it , and (2) I don't have enough posts so admin wont let me , but im working on that . This creek at the height of the feb floods would have been running at about 50 mts wide and 3-5 mtrs deep . now it is back to a trickle with lots of deep holes and sections meandering through huge mounds of sand and rubble , there is lots of erosion and fallen trees . my kit was backpack with a pan ,sieve and small shovel , a spinning rod and a few lures , a bottle of water and some nutbars . I walked the creek for a couple of k's , through a few lures around , I saw some fish and eels, and no people. I dug a few panfulls of sand and gravel and sat on a rock with my feet in the water and listened to the bellbirds and tried to remember all the things I learnt about how to pan for gold. and u know what? it was so quiet and peaceful that I just didn't care about whether there was any colour in my pan , and there wasn't! but I'd like to thank the people on this forum for inspiring me to just get out there! jack.

jacksprat said:
. .... I walked the creek for a couple of k's , through a few lures around , I saw some fish and eels, and no people. I dug a few panfulls of sand and gravel and sat on a rock with my feet in the water and listened to the bellbirds and tried to remember all the things I learnt about how to pan for gold. and u know what? it was so quiet and peaceful that I just didn't care about whether there was any colour in my pan , and there wasn't! but I'd like to thank the people on this forum for inspiring me to just get out there! jack.

Great call and appreciation for what you are lucky to have. It's all about the experience ... any colour is just the 'icing on the cake'. :)

Jack you just reconfirmed why I love to prospect, when you can hear yourself breathing, no cars driving by every 10 seconds, no planes every 30 seconds ready to deploy landing gear......as I type this im watching the spotlight from another 747 or Airbus on final approach out the window. There is something special about getting out there where the old timers had such a hard time, and we complain when theres no gold left....the priceless stuff is still out there...peace and quiet!

I gonna attempt to upload a pic or 2of this creek I was in , hope this works!
1426498522_sunp0005.jpg
1426498617_sunp0007.jpg

Nice bit of creek mate....the old agricol Au mine is in that area..SE of Conandale its state forest now but those creeks still have colour. Kenilworth...has some rich creeks if you find the indicators... ;)

yeah yobs , apparently there was once plenty of gold in here , and there is no reason to think there is not more , but im interested to learn more about the "indicators" u speak of , and its not ALL state forest , so I feel ok about having a dig there , jack

hey jaros that was a big step for me to get the pics off my camera , save them to my pc , and then show them to u , I am stoked , no holding me back now , jack
1426582971_sunp0004.jpg

Nice effort mate...did ya get a bite?
In the early times there was lots of bedrock out crops absolute monsters...the river/creek has changed a little over time because they removed them in search of gold. You can still see them along the river at some parts they also run under the river. ;)

Great shots mate. I was born in Gympie and lived around the area for 14 years. It is very nice country around there. Gets bloody cold in winter when the westerlies kick in. We used to live out Deep Creek way at the Wolvi turn off. I hear Deep Ck. had a bit of colour in it. All the best in the future there. Cheers Rick

Good job on the photos mate, have some similar looking creeks down my way ( northern nsw) that im hoping will show me some of their colour so far seems to be easier panning gravel based creeks wih no clay, compared to what some of the crew on here deal with best of luck with it and If I cant find anything locally I might take a trip to your area soon :)

Latest posts