amherst for 2 days

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone.

Went detecting in Amherst for 2 days, didnt find much. Just a few bullets, etc. I went on geovic and found some spots that wernt on the gold maps you buy, thought id have more luck. I met a guy camping next to me that found a nice nugget on a training day, he was nice enough to share his gpx settings with me. When i did my test with a small sinker i noticed that when its in enhance it doesnt seem to go very deep. But normal was so noisy in Amherst. Is it better to keep it in Normal? Im using a 4500.
Think i might have to do a training day.

1386219393_20131130_131520_resized_1.jpg

If you are using a mono, enhance is usually the way to go on that mongrel ground at Talbot/Amherst. What audio type are you using? If very noisy, I switch to quiet. If you can make things quieter, you can then ramp up the RX gain and stabiliser. try to keep these two settings close together +, - 2 notches. Those finds look Ok - they are big granted and would have been loud anyway I guess. I don't really know what you mean by depth - as you probably are aware, by backing off the rx and stabiliser you will miss deeper targets for sure. Ramping them up will pick up smaller and deeper but the ground noises will be greater.

As for detecting on new ground - its an art form. You get a lot less rubbish but the 'throw-out' finds are also a lot less. New ground most definitely must be persevered with and a good indication is the finds you show - if these were on the new ground, the old timers were most certainly there.

thanks, i was using audio "normal". I will try quiet next time. Any suggestions on areas with nice quiet ground. Ive only go out 2 days a month and all up about 8 days in total. When the ground noise is bad its a pain for a newbie. Was going to try Marysborough next time.

Latest posts