Am I doing it right ?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,

This has probably been asked before.

I have a GPX4500 and using a 14" Coiltek Elite Mono. I am picking up very small rubbish targets (tacks, rust flakes, lead shot, hot rocks etc.) but no gold. I was just wondering if I am picking up lead at around 4" should I expect to be able to pick up gold using similar settings.
I am currently in the GT and using a combination of John Tully maps, GeoVic, Google Earth and local knowledge when it is offered.
Where I am at present I can comfortably run my Rx at 14, enhanced mainly, tracking for GB, threshold set around 12.0 o'clock, Stabiliser at 16, Target vol 14, Auto tune or set between 60-100, that's all the figures I can remember of the top of my head.

Thanks in Advance

:goldnugget:

Unless u walk over it u won't find it...spent 4 days detecting in the Golden triangle and zero...spent 6 hours at a private permission in virgin ground ...bingo my first Nuggett...
Some of the GT area has been absolutely smashed...

I'm yet to find my first nugget also. I've only had a detector a week or so though. Not long at all.

But I have read, if you can pick up lead shot, you just need to walk over that elusive piece and you'll be fine.

Found my first .22 bullet today. So I guess I am on the right track.

Keep and it and post those pics when you find it! It's always inspiring to see someone have a win.

G'day Gunnadoitoneday welcome to PA and metal detectors we've pretty much all had a similar experience. How long are you staying in Vic, get your post count up and the PM function will be active hopefully someone can meet up with you and share their thoughts on the ground. Did you buy the machine new or second hand. I read your intro thread and it sounds like your doing everything right :Y: not sure about your threshold setting to me it seems to be a bit high, was this the suggested setting mentioned on the training day.

StoneTheCrows said:
Gunnadoit

If you are finding lead and tacks, be patient cause it will find it if you walk over it.
If you can get a small test nugget then practice with that
Totally agree with STC. Buy a small test nugget for around $20 to $50. Place it at different depths, different soils. And always take it with you to test every few hours to make sure your set, nothing worse than walking all day not knowing The detector not working correctly

I recon that you have your threshold way too high.
I run mine at the 7 to 8 position so that I can just hear it.
Running it at the 12 position, besides being very noisy, may cause you to miss the tiny signals from a small bit of gold as they wont brake the threshold.
The threshold should be set so that you can just hear it in the background like a mozzie in your ear.

RM Outback said:
G'day Gunnadoitoneday welcome to PA and metal detectors we've pretty much all had a similar experience. How long are you staying in Vic, get your post count up and the PM function will be active hopefully someone can meet up with you and share their thoughts on the ground. Did you buy the machine new or second hand. I read your intro thread and it sounds like your doing everything right :Y: not sure about your threshold setting to me it seems to be a bit high, was this the suggested setting mentioned on the training day.
RM thanks, I was running my threshold so it was just audible but on both courses I have done, 12.00 oclock was the position mentioned. More than happy to wind it back down.
Bought the machine new through Minersden in Melbourne. Unfortunately our time is coming to a close, we have been at it most days for the past 4 weeks between Ballarat-Bendigo and mostly out of Maryborough and Tarnagulla. Thinking of heading down to Talbot before setting the sails for home.

Balmain Bob said:
I recon that you have your threshold way too high.
I run mine at the 7 to 8 position so that I can just hear it.
Running it at the 12 position, besides being very noisy, may cause you to miss the tiny signals from a small bit of gold as they wont brake the threshold.
The threshold should be set so that you can just hear it in the background like a mozzie in your ear.
Bob, as I have just replied back to RM Outback more than happy to wind it back to where I started using it.
Thanks

Ward69 said:
StoneTheCrows said:
Gunnadoit

If you are finding lead and tacks, be patient cause it will find it if you walk over it.
If you can get a small test nugget then practice with that
Totally agree with STC. Buy a small test nugget for around $20 to $50. Place it at different depths, different soils. And always take it with you to test every few hours to make sure your set, nothing worse than walking all day not knowing The detector not working correctly
STC and 69,
I have a little .17 gram piece do I need a larger test nugget. I was thinking of using a small piece of aluminium as it has similar decay rate as gold.

Latest posts