Alibrite

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gpx5000

Paddy
Reaction score
Hazardous chemicals/dangerous goods use isn't recommended or any discussions on their use endorsed by Forum Management. Individuals discussing hazardous chemicals/dangerous goods use do so at their own risk/s and need t
Hi guys, just bought a litre bottle of Alibrite from SCA.

The label says dilute it 7-1 water to Alibrite.

My question is;
Do you dilute it to clean gold finds or use it neat? :goldnugget:

Cheers.

Use the Alibrite straight neat don't dilute it for gold cleaning, place the gold in a plastic container and pour in the alibrite so it dont splash like if you drop the nugget in after.

The dilute rate is for if you want to clean Aluminium boat or trailer etc, you brush or spray it on and then give it a good scrubbing with a broom and then hose it down with plain water.

For the gold take if out every couple of days give it a scrub with a old tooth brush or similar and rinse and put it back in the container and pour the alibrite back in, if the alibrite gets of dirty after a number of days or is getting weak just replace with new alibrite, mix the old with plenty of water and put on the garden.

Remember, as with any acid or chemicals, safety first use proper gloves and safety glasses etc, and treat it with respect and it's all good

cheers dave

As most of the gold I've found is small, the biggest so far is the 3gr in my Avatar, I found an old pill bottle works well. (small one) You could use the old 35mm film canister, but they are normally a pop top.

I normally place the gold in the pill bottle, carefully pour just enough to cover the gold in to the pill bottle, screw top on.

When emptying the bottle, i do it in my ensuite sink, carefully pour the Alibrite out against the side of the sink, the gold generally stays at the bottom due to its weight.
Then run some water on a low setting into the bottle to dilute the small amount of Alibrite left. Pour out and re rinse several times and it's safe to handle.

Once I've rinsed enough, I get a couple of paper towel folded in half and turn the pill bottle upside down on to it and tap it to make sure all the gold is out. Then using your finger roll the gold to a drier part of the towel to dry it and the rest is up to you, lol.

As to how long, if the gold is reasonably bright and just covered with dirt, 24 hours is usually enough. If it's porous, you may need to get to the "dry" stage above and use an ultrasonic cleaner to shake out the dirt. However if it has ironstone or quartz embedded, then it can take a lot longer. How long, well that's the unknown, lol. :)

I bought a litre of Alibrite 5 years ago, I still have over half a litre left, you only need enough to cover the gold. Do it at the end of the trip........

Thanks Condor22.
I've got a couple of clean plastic "sample containers" with screw on lids the gold I have collected is in it, soaking in Alibrite.

The smallest I have is 0.10g and the biggest is 8.1g so it's all in the same container.

I'll check on it tomorrow and see how it looks. :goldnugget:

Thanks for the info to yourself, davsgold and Rockhunter62.

:Y:

travelergold said:
Just do not get it on your skin. When washing gold after soaking just keep flushing it before handling it

Erm, thanks travelergold.
I did get some on my skin last night, just a drop, but flushed it with running water, all seems ok today. :argh:

Gpx5000 said:
travelergold said:
Just do not get it on your skin. When washing gold after soaking just keep flushing it before handling it

Erm, thanks travelergold.
I did get some on my skin last night, just a drop, but flushed it with running water, all seems ok today. :argh:

I drop or two on your skin isnt going to do anything,I have been putting my fingers in alibrite for a very long time and no harm,the concentrations of acid are very low,but it does burn a little when you get it into cuts :lol: As with all acids better to take precautions,you can use bicarb sofa to neutralise it as well

steve f said:
very offended, us tawegians have 8 fingers on each hand, you must be a mainland imposter.

Correct me if I'm wrong, after all I am an ignorant mainlander, but are the extra fingers required to scratch both heads.... ? :)

Again only joking, lol I luv Tassie...

Latest posts