Alaskan Gold

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have finally made it to Alaska and had two panning sessions so far..one at Girdwood, Indian River Mine area south of Anchorage and one panning session just near a disused bucket line dredge near Fairbanks Alaska. The gold is a treat.

Will be heading into the Yukon in a week or so to have a go at Whitehorse and Dawson City area...both places should be familiar to fans of Gold Rush.

Trip of a lifetime but still reckon Australia is the greatest place on our globe and we need to work at keeping it to that way. :)

Very envious of you being there at the moment, I too have been to the Yukon and brought home some of their gold. Nuggets like we're used to finding in Oz are pretty rare (these days at least).
Don't spend too much time in Whitehorse but try to take in the Vaudeville type show, the legend of Sam McKee is well done, good grub just down the road from Westmark Hotel.
Spend more time in Dawson City, had the pleasure of running into Tony & Minnie Beets while there, they love sitting and having an ice cream, you never know who you run into.
Make sure you get to the Downtown Hotel and become one of the Aussies to have had a Sourtoe Cocktail.
You'll be amazed at all the worm like remains of the old dredge areas, they go for miles and the effects of what "perma frost", so often mentioned on Gold Rush, has on roads and building is brought to life.
Flying out of Dawson is a great experience as well, an "international" airport with a gravel runway (specially modified jet), security is a pat down on the runway.
Enjoy your trip, my wife originally hated me for telling her we were going to Diamond Tooth Gerties in Dawson rather than the Fairmont at Lake Louise but even she became a convert to the charms of one of the last great "frontier" areas.
Love to see more of your report and a few photos, brings back great memories.
Cheers T.

Latest posts