Back from Yukon/Alaska

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teemore

One foot out the door
Reaction score
Just back from a month long trip to Alaska/Yukon...... very interesting and rich in Gold Mining history ..... The miles and miles of bullock left behind by the big dredges working the creeks/valleys in unbelievable, scars on the surface probably visible from the moon.
Dawson City is THE place to be, think something like Sovereign Hill BUT still actively working, the characters are straight out of wild west fiction.
First day there strolling down the street to find Tony Beet and Minnie sitting having and ice cream .... he was up for a chat and about 30 minutes swearing/discussing Gold Rush, dredges, environment and swearing in general, did I mention he swears .....
Oh .... did manage to find some specks in a small creek near Haines, didn't have the greatest of gear (crappy shovel and a very small, rusted pan, a speck every 2nd shovel full, the pan only held half a shovel full at best, not bad considering not dressed or prepared for it.
A few Dawson City pics .....
Cheers Tom.
1470702036_img_0421.jpg

1470702036_img_0422.jpg

1470702036_img_0423.jpg

Teemore,
Welcome back....
Yes just swap the car for a horse and wagon and you would be back in the Wild West days...lol..

Thanks for the pic's and the report....

Cheers Nanjim
Jim

Welcome back young fella, looks like you fitted into the local scene extremely well :lol:

Dr Duck ...... for starters YES it's a real toe, since the original, there have been several others that are 'donated' by the strange folk of the Yukon.
Several have been "lost", either swallowed or stolen ..... There's a $2500 fine if you swallow it.
The drink is just a spirit of your choice (80% proof or more), I chose Tequila, the toe is kept in an alcohol solution, and dried on a bed of salt, it "sort of" gets cleaned between drinks ........ had to have one to fly the flag for the Aussies.....
Cheers Tom

You can drink it fast,
You can drink it slow,
BUT,
Your lips must touch the toe ....

1470707066_toe.jpg

Yeah well next time take a jar of vegemite with you, if the real men of the Yukon can eat a whole jar straight they'll be as tough as us Aussies. :D

A toe in a drink.......... hell noooooo. :(

Sounds like a great trip Teemore, meeting Tony Beets is almost as cool as meeting Ozzy Osbourne, I think they both swear a bit. :)

Great story and pics as well. The Dutch are straight shooters. They don't muck around when it comes to money.
Lucky day for you and your Mrs. Great memories.
Jaros :p

Soooo, did the toe touch your lips? I would have licked after to make the locals cringe :lol: And did you go prospecting?

Yes B5MECh, the lips did "kiss" the toe and yes ....... GOLD was panned up from a flooded creek at Haines.
Nothing great but it is Gold from Alaska, wasn't really prepared (equipment or clothes/footware wise) but got hols of a small pan and spent 3 or 4 hours panning, bloke was also working the area with a river sluice but I couldn't get him to let me help shovel and do a clean up .... bugger probably had a good thing he didn't want to share .... I tried.
Cheers T.

Teemore said:
Here's a link, not sure about their 100,000 claim (I'm registered as no. 62,316) ..... old mate Golddigg@ put me on to it, claimed it would clear my knotted calf muscle (severe cramp) ..... thanks Dustin.

http://dawsoncity.ca/attraction/sourtoe-cocktail-club/

might be like my club - I'm member 131 but aren't old enough to have been bestowed the original number. I reckon its a case of if members park their bones in a box then the membership becomes vacant and is reallocated - just maybe ;)

Latest posts