Aftermarket batteries for Minelab

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Has anyone used a minelabmods little ripper wireless battery on their 5k , if so how good/ bad are these units?

There seems to be an advantage in this battery system as there is no connecting wires to you, :8

Don't know about the 5000 but it works great on my SD2200D. Know of a bloke who uses them on his GPX (not sure if he has 4500 or 5000) & says he loves them but can't offer any personal experience other than the SD.
Having no wires attached is a real advantage - no more snagging, inadvertentently pulling detector by wire when digging etc.
Considering a new 5000 li-ion battery is $395 the li-po battery + wireless set up for $390 is pretty good value I reckon.
The only issue I have had is a crackling noise occasionally through the speaker/headphones but this doesn't last long & hasn't impeded doing any detecting at all. Other than that have had no problems & I wouldn't go back to being wired up now.
On a rough estimate over 2 days detecting I reckon I did about 9.5hrs & still had charge left in the batteries so was also impressed with that.

i have been looking at those too , there is another type from the USA but i think from memory it was $ 500

i would love to get rid of the wires AND harness and make a longer rear shaft to counterbalance the coil weight

i find when detecting on steep hills the bungy is worthless

mbasko said:
Don't know about the 5000 but it works great on my SD2200D. Know of a bloke who uses them on his GPX (not sure if he has 4500 or 5000) & says he loves them but can't offer any personal experience other than the SD.
Having no wires attached is a real advantage - no more snagging, inadvertentently pulling detector by wire when digging etc.
Considering a new 5000 li-ion battery is $395 the li-po battery + wireless set up for $390 is pretty good value I reckon.
The only issue I have had is a crackling noise occasionally through the speaker/headphones but this doesn't last long & hasn't impeded doing any detecting at all. Other than that have had no problems & I wouldn't go back to being wired up now.
On a rough estimate over 2 days detecting I reckon I did about 9.5hrs & still had charge left in the batteries so was also impressed with that.

Can you tell me when using this type of battery system will a B&Z twin speaker set up work on it , or only headphones .

Have you any pictures of how you set yours up on your SD ;) how (if you have twin speakers) is it set up on your harness or where ever :p

Did you have to make up shorter battery cables?

Sorry for so many questions , just like to get my facts right before I go any further :lol:

Googs said:
Can you tell me when using this type of battery system will a B&Z twin speaker set up work on it , or only headphones .

The system comes with a battery that has a wireless sender & a booster that has a wireless reciever. You can use speaker/s or headphones or even plug your existing booster into the supplied booster if you prefer it.
Googs said:
Have you any pictures of how you set yours up on your SD how (if you have twin speakers) is it set up on your harness or where ever
I clip the supplied booster onto my harness & use a speaker that also has a built in booster that I can use if required. I find that mostly I just run without turning the speaker booster on. Next time I get out, maybe this weekend weather permitting, I'll get some pics if I remember.

Googs said:
Did you have to make up shorter battery cables?

No - a short battery cable comes with it. I have a control box cover with a battery pouch built into it so the battery sits in that. Its very light & makes no difference to me with it on there.

No - a short battery cable comes with it. I have a control box cover with a battery pouch built into it so the battery sits in that. Its very light & makes no difference to me with it on there.

Thanks for the info mbasko, I think this system will work well for me in Tassie :cool:

Look forward to some pictures, good luck on the weekend 8) weather permitting .

HeadsUp said:
i find when detecting on steep hills the bungy is worthless

Me too - had put it down to my short, stumpy legs. When using the 11" DD or smaller I don't usually use a bungy so could do away with the harness all together for them but still find it useful to hang all my other gear off.

Want a light weight system? I use 6v4.5AH batteries I Velcro then to the detector cover
they last Just on 4 hr each I charge them of the car charger and it peps them to 6.8v
Iv got a female 1/4 earphone jack coming out of the unit where the battery plugs in
I then use a FM transmitter to send the signal to my 3M FM headphones that boost the signal enough to hear tiny targets.
Cost me about $160 to built with 2 batteries. I'm using it on a gp3000 and love it!

Zuke_Lynzy said:
Want a light weight system? I use 6v4.5AH batteries I Velcro then to the detector cover
they last Just on 4 hr each I charge them of the car charger and it peps them to 6.8v
Iv got a female 1/4 earphone jack coming out of the unit where the battery plugs in
I then use a FM transmitter to send the signal to my 3M FM headphones that boost the signal enough to hear tiny targets.
Cost me about $160 to built with 2 batteries. I'm using it on a gp3000 and love it!

Thanks Zuke-Lynzy, that all sounds like a great set up :cool: but I'm not that technically minded :8 I think I shall go with something already manufactured ;)

Zuke_Lynzy said:

The 5000 runs on a different battery voltage, runs on 2s Li-ion system at ~8.2v fully charged.

hi
the little ripper system works well on the 5000 aswell as earlier minelabs.
you just have to tell him if you have a sd,gp or gpx so you get the right voltage.
Ismael has a very good rep in the detecting world, he don't sell crap and stands behind his products.
regards trashmagnet

trashmagnet said:
hi
the little ripper system works well on the 5000 aswell as earlier minelabs.
you just have to tell him if you have a sd,gp or gpx so you get the right voltage.
Ismael has a very good rep in the detecting world, he don't sell crap and stands behind his products.
regards trashmagnet

:D have spoke to Ismael , what a fine and knowledgeable person he is :cool:

He's putting one together for me , if anyone wants one he is still building them :cool:

Thank everyone for you comments .

Ben78 said:
Zuke_Lynzy said:

The 5000 runs on a different battery voltage, runs on 2s Li-ion system at ~8.2v fully charged.

The little ripper system also allows me to run the SD2200D @ 7.4v which is regulated & constant I.e. won't deliver more than 7.4v & delivers it constantly - no voltage drop as the battery drains. 7.3-7.4v is considered to be the optimum voltage for the SD's. 6v gel batteries will have more than 6v initially but I believe they deliver less as it drains. Still a good idea though Zuke & worth thinking about for a backup.

mbasko said:
I clip the supplied booster onto my harness & use a speaker that also has a built in booster that I can use if required. I find that mostly I just run without turning the speaker booster on. Next time I get out, maybe this weekend weather permitting, I'll get some pics if I remember.

20131107_084528_zps6d323293.jpg
20131107_084506_zpsdd2f6722.jpg
20131107_084312_zps16885721.jpg
20131107_083925_zps81069352.jpg

20131107_084006_zps27dcfe72.jpg

That looks a simple but great set up you have there mbasko :cool:

Where did you buy the control box cover with the battery compartment on it from.
Did notice your speaker has on/off switch and volume control , haven't seen them before :8

The control box cover is from DD Leather. It also has dust/weather covers that fit on each end for dusty conditions or if there may be a chance of getting a shower.
The speaker is a Vktek Treasure Mate II stand alone booster/amplifier + speaker in one unit. It works as a speaker only when switched off but can also add extra boost if needed by turning on & adjusting the volumes on both to suit. It does tend to amplify everything using both though & I usually just leave it off & rely on the little ripper booster. They do cost a bit & in hindsight I probably could have got away with a normal speaker but it is good to have the extra boost when needed plus a ready to go booster/speaker if I need to use a 6v battery as you obviously can't use the little ripper booster then. Its also got a 6mm headphone socket if you want to bypass the speaker & use headphones.

Mbasko, thanks for that info :p , how do you charge up the little ripper , with a car battery or plug into 240 power? Or is there another way or charging when out detecting :8 .

Can you charge from a 12 trickle charger?

Thanks Googs

The battery is lithium polymer & needs a specific type of charger/battery management system which is included with the purchase. Ismael will have it set up for you & include instructions which are important to follow for safety & battery life although the management system is pretty foolproof & does just about everything for you. You really only need to make sure you change the amps for the main (4a) & booster (1a) batteries.
The set up is primarily for 12v charging to enable remote location charging via you vehicle battery but can be set up off 12v solar also.
To use at home I have a 240v to 12v 7.5amp transformer & cigarette socket adaptor from Jaycar that powers the battery manager. Cost about $40 all up.
Another great thing about the little ripper is charge time. You can have the whole system recharged, ready to go in about 3 hours. The main battery usually takes around 2 hours & the booster battery about 50mins depending on usage.

G'Day All,

Arrived on the scene here yesterday & did the intro stuff & forgot to Ask if anyone has any Intel on the small Lithium Battery Kits for Minelabs that are sold in Ozi.
I bought one direct from U.S.A & each Battery cost me $65 I bought 4 & found the small metal battery terminals inset in the Battery, that load into jack are very Delicate would be an Understatement & after two charge ups, snapped off in the battery.
Chinese made of course.
The Up side was a good seven hours of Detecting prior to critical fail.
Then the Bludgers that sold the batteries did not want to offer Warranty & redirected me to a PO Box in New York.
I kept the Battery Boxes & still have two working batteries ..OR they did work last time I checked em.
I Asked Detector Mods in Ozi about their kits for SD2100 & They looked similar in the small pictures I was sent & I Asked IF they were made in CHINA? ,
& could I see Close Up pictures of the Terminals & was never answered, despite asking numerous times.
I was set on sending my SD2100 to the Mods Up Men too they Seemed like GREAT Guys ~!~ But when you get that Leary Feeling on the WEB ~!" ya don't want to be Bent over double gasping your groin from & foul tackle a week later.

Any Members with Good Dependable small Battery kits for the Minelab & Intel on Who in Ozi sells em would be appreciated?.
Also anyone with a Minelab thats had Mods & how it works after the Mods?.

Cheers ~!~

lucas22 said:
G'Day All,

Arrived on the scene here yesterday & did the intro stuff & forgot to Ask if anyone has any Intel on the small Lithium Battery Kits for Minelabs that are sold in Ozi.
I bought one direct from U.S.A & each Battery cost me $65 I bought 4 & found the small metal battery terminals inset in the Battery, that load into jack are very Delicate would be an Understatement & after two charge ups, snapped off in the battery.
Chinese made of course.
The Up side was a good seven hours of Detecting prior to critical fail.
Then the Bludgers that sold the batteries did not want to offer Warranty & redirected me to a PO Box in New York.
I kept the Battery Boxes & still have two working batteries ..OR they did work last time I checked em.
I Asked Detector Mods in Ozi about their kits for SD2100 & They looked similar in the small pictures I was sent & I Asked IF they were made in CHINA? ,
& could I see Close Up pictures of the Terminals & was never answered, despite asking numerous times.
I was set on sending my SD2100 to the Mods Up Men too they Seemed like GREAT Guys ~!~ But when you get that Leary Feeling on the WEB ~!" ya don't want to be Bent over double gasping your groin from & foul tackle a week later.

Any Members with Good Dependable small Battery kits for the Minelab & Intel on Who in Ozi sells em would be appreciated?.
Also anyone with a Minelab thats had Mods & how it works after the Mods?.

Cheers ~!~
good questions I thought minelab mods in Frankston should be ok but have only asked him for a quote over phone for my ml sd2100 and was quoted $700
i have found another guy in werribee that offered to fix my ml sd2100 for $180
as for the the battery kits I am working on getting something from China , The problem with Chinese goods is there are some very shonky wheeler dealers there
and they will rip you off or sell you complete junk etc , We; Wife and I have been dealing with them for 7 years and it takes time to get to the bottom of any
seller from China but there are some good ones so if i find some batteries i will let you know
cheers Ron

Latest posts