Aftermarket Batteries For GPX

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ctxkid said:
Gravity said:
Will post some photo's of what your after have it all setup that way overall very happy with it Dangle Free :Y:

Bluetooth stereo headset & receiver very clear clean & crisp sound... :Y:
Small Minelab battery 3 to 4 hrs use (or the standard battery not much weight difference ) also have a spare but just charge this one up at lunchtime and gets me through to day no worries... :Y:
Short custom made power lead and Spo1 leads compliments from Nenad :Y:

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/5190/1569360584_img_1221.jpg

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/5190/1569360720_img_1222.jpg

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/5190/1569360740_img_1223.jpg

what is the latency of the bluetooth setup ?
I haven't really noticed any but I'm sure there is some, will be out and about this long weekend so will take some notes for you :Y:

Just a tease of what I am working on. 1/2 the weight and physically a lot smaller. Combined with something like a Quest Wireless Mate, it will allow your GPX to be completely wireless. In testing, I got around 5hrs continuous use. The Quest system has very little lag.

It would have been close to being released at Laanecoorie if it wasn't for my unexpected hospital stay.

1569368969_img_5202.jpg

Some of the gold found during testing

1569368995_img_5153.jpg

The thing that gets to me with all this though, is you already fork out anywhere between five and ten thousand for a detector, only to then have to fork out more for far better coils than they come with, handles that don't break, enhancers to clean up their crap sound, headphones that actually fit and don't sound like you are sitting in a tin bucket, batteries that don't hang off your back where you can't get to them, longer leads than they supply, and/or a transmitter/receiving unit that gets rid of the multiple ridiculous leads. Personally, I would have preferred that Minelab offer just the basic control box and nothing else, as an option when purchasing. Then, you could go spend the difference on quality accessories that are actually the best your money can buy.

To be honest, if I knew when starting out what I know now, I would have bought a QED and set it up with a Whites Shaft and the coil of my choice. I'd be getting free upgrades as they are developed (not the GPX 4000, GPX4500, GPX4800, GPX5000, and then discontinuing the 4500 thus instantly devaluing the later models with the cheap run-out deals, and there would be no increase in price with each new upgrade).

It all kind of reminds me of that joke where the guy buys a parrot that doesn't talk, after being promised by the petshop owner that it will. Each time he goes back telling him that it won't speak, and each time the guy sells him something else, telling him "if you buy this it will talk". Sells him a ladder, then a mirror, then a bell, until finally the guy comes back upset, telling the petshop owner that the Parrot has died. The shop-owner asks him "So, before he died, did the Parrot Say Anything at all"?

Yes the customer said, just before he closed his eyes and died the Parrot muttered "Don't they sell any bloody birdseed in that shop!!!"

Gravity said:
Will post some photo's of what your after have it all setup that way overall very happy with it Dangle Free :Y:
Bluetooth stereo headset & receiver very clear clean & crisp sound... :Y:
Hey Gravity,Please advise what those head-phones / ear-sets are.
Thanks BW

No worries Pete got them and the Transmitter Receiver from eBay you will also need a Jack adapter (Spo1 to Transmitter) for a few dollars you might even just have one in a draw at home !

Cheers :Y:

1 item sold by auto au
AU $32.69
Mpow Bluetooth Headphones Best Running Sports Workout Wireless Earbuds Headset
( 383101399713 )

Mpow Bluetooth 5.0 Transmitter Receiver aptX Car PC TV Audio Adapter Ultra-thin
Brand new Bluetooth v5.0 3.5 mm Jack Audio Receivers
AU $28.99

Thanks for all the replies and info.

Great stuff.

I am leaning towards the two battery standard / heavy duty deal detectormods is offering for $325 . Slimline is what i need and want , but i`m still open to whatever else is out there.

How much are your batteries going to be ,Steelphase ? I don`t mind the look of it. How much does it weigh ? The size looks to be pretty good.

Thanks ,

FOZ

Deepseeker said:
The thing that gets to me with all this though, is you already fork out anywhere between five and ten thousand for a detector, only to then have to fork out more for far better coils than they come with, handles that don't break, enhancers to clean up their crap sound, headphones that actually fit and don't sound like you are sitting in a tin bucket, batteries that don't hang off your back where you can't get to them, longer leads than they supply, and/or a transmitter/receiving unit that gets rid of the multiple ridiculous leads. Personally, I would have preferred that Minelab offer just the basic control box and nothing else, as an option when purchasing. Then, you could go spend the difference on quality accessories that are actually the best your money can buy.

To be honest, if I knew when starting out what I know now, I would have bought a QED and set it up with a Whites Shaft and the coil of my choice. I'd be getting free upgrades as they are developed (not the GPX 4000, GPX4500, GPX4800, GPX5000, and then discontinuing the 4500 thus instantly devaluing the later models with the cheap run-out deals, and there would be no increase in price with each new upgrade).

It all kind of reminds me of that joke where the guy buys a parrot that doesn't talk, after being promised by the petshop owner that it will. Each time he goes back telling him that it won't speak, and each time the guy sells him something else, telling him "if you buy this it will talk". Sells him a ladder, then a mirror, then a bell, until finally the guy comes back upset, telling the petshop owner that the Parrot has died. The shop-owner asks him "So, before he died, did the Parrot Say Anything at all"?

Yes the customer said, just before he closed his eyes and died the Parrot muttered "Don't they sell any bloody birdseed in that shop!!!"

It`s a good business model that has made them a motza ,but it has also made poor blokes like me even poorer.

A built in battery would have been nice with this detector and saved all the trouble ,but this is the way they do it and now we just have to work out the best and cheapest fix for it all. Hopefully the `45 will pay for itself one day.

FOZ

just starting said:
Thanks, Gravity . What are the approx measurements of the minelab battery ? On a good day with multiple targets , how long would it last ? Robmoto , do you know approx size of detectormod's battery , please ? Thanks . Foz

Ok here are the measurements, 70mm long ,38mm wide, 60mm high.

It is roughly half the size of the half size mine lab 220 dollar job, it does not have the amplifier like mine lab but I run a SP01 so don,t want a amp anyway.

Problem solved ............... i think.

Except for the bungee cord, which is on a quick release clip , the `45 now hands free.

1569625605_d1.jpg

1569625619_d2.jpg

It all works and will get a trial run tomorrow.

If this is not a suitable set up , then i will put the battery under the detector . The gaffa tape is only there until i can get some velcro.
If this set up doesn`t work out ,then i will get the lighter aftermarket battery. There isn`t a hell of a lot of weight in the original battery ,but i`ll find out if i definately need a lighter one by the end of tomorrow.

Thanks for all the advice ,everyone.

FOZ

Just Starting, Mine lab apart from there standard control box cover they also make a cover that has a adjustable felcro battery box on the side that you can adjust the height a little but adjust the length to half size of the standard battery , you could also put the sender for your head phones in there too and then readjust , or as I do push the sender up in the foam armrest on the outside , then on the side opposite that on the armrest tucked in neatly put a SP01 there held with some thick type rubber bands this makes getting of for charging very easy and also easy for adjustment .

sorry don,t know how to post pic,s, but using a lighter battery does make a heap of difference at the end of the day if you want to be totally hands free .

Hi Just Starting,

At least after running that setup, the Busy B DBV wireless battery for the GPX will seem weightless!

1569631733_dbv_fitted.jpg

1569631733_dbv_gpx_comparison.jpg

1569631733_dbv_weight.jpg

1569631733_gpx_battery_weight.jpg

There will be one of the DBV wireless systems in the auction at the Laanecoorie Gold Bash next weekend so someone could get a bargain :cool:

So one thing I am noticing here is there there seems to be some reasonable interest in a lightweight battery with no built in wireless capability?
I can probably come up with some light versions of the DBV and CRV wireless systems, without wireless for a cheaper price.

Cheers Mick

Thanks, Robmoto and Auman.

The sender for the headphones placed on the right ,just under the cuff gives me easy access to turn it on and off ,but i was thinking about getting a shorter cable. I`ll see how it goes.

Big weight difference with the Busy B , hey ? I`ll keep that in mind if what i have done doesn`t work for me. Not fussed about getting a wireless set up in the battery.
The Quest lite i have is pretty light and clear .

I ran in to someone today who uses the SP01 and he said it really improved his detecting and he has found gold since getting one.

Thanks for the heads up ,fellas.

FOZ

Just letting everyone know that I now have a non-wireless wireless battery for the GPX series detectors.
Run time is 8~10 hours.

There is no built in booster or wireless capability, so it is ideal for those who already have a wireless transmitter and boosters such as the SP01.

https://www.detectronicsaustralia.com/product-page/skeleton

Cheers Mick

AuMan said:
Just letting everyone know that I now have a non-wireless wireless battery for the GPX series detectors.
Run time is 8~10 hours.
There is no built in booster or wireless capability, so it is ideal for those who already have a wireless transmitter and boosters such as the SP01.
Cheers Mick
'The Skeleton' ... that must be a DED DRIVER BATTERY! love the idea. :skull: :eek: :lol:
As I have an sP01, I think this might just go in my post-xmas basket :D

Ded Driver said:
AuMan said:
Run time is 8~10 hours.
Cheers Mick
'The Skeleton' ... that must be a DED DRIVER BATTERY! love the idea. :skull: :eek: :lol:
As I have an sP01, I think this might just go in my post-xmas basket :D
Just a side note, the SP01, B&Z and other self powered boosters/enhancers will work with the Busy B wireless battery systems as well.
Just plug the SP01 input lead into the Busy B receiver headphone jack and then your headphones/speaker into the SP01.

Cheers Mick

Hi there. I have been running an SDC2300 for the past 2 years and just purchased a GPX5000. I find the battery heavy and have been looking for an alternative. Minelab are no longer making the small lithium ion battery and I am wondering if anyone has experience with the Detectormods battery? My plan is to attach it to the detector so I am no longer hooked up to the machine and I use a ProSonic and headphones.
Cheers

I had the detectormods battery set up on a gp3500 when i started a few years ago and loved it, but since going over to a gpx i find that battery very easy to carry.
Jim

Latest posts