Advice on a pinpointer

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
washgravel said:
Here is something to think about when I tested my Minelab Pro Find Pinpointer.

After switching on the PP and setting it to its highest 5 sensitivity setting I can get 50mm on a 5c coin from the tip of the PP in an air test.
Then I try to lay the PP horizontally on mineralised ground but it sounds off and reacts to the ground making it impossible to do another test.
So I switch the PP off and with it still at its highest 5 setting and still lying on the ground I restart the PP and now there is no more reaction to the ground.

I then test the 5c coin from the tip of the PP and I again get 50mm however when I lift the PP off the ground and do the another test on the 5c coin I only get 25mm.

Okay AngerManagement by placing my ML PP against the ground before switching it on I am doing a Ground Balance.

I always thought you get less depth once a detector (Pinpointer in this case) is Ground Balanced to what it achieved in an Air Test.

washgravel said:
I always thought you get less depth once a detector (Pinpointer in this case) is Ground Balanced to what it achieved in an Air Test.

50mm in the Air Test and 50mm after the Ground Balance

It will not change the distance, but will balance any interference.. That is the short story..

Read about the effects of Ground Balance and why it is done; if you want the fine details.

nuggetino said:
I'd save your money on the plasti-dip if it's to protect the pointer from the elements. I've tried the plasti-dip and wasn't impressed. A single layer of electrical tap is more durable than this stuff

Yep, I've used a bit of duct tape. Works just fine. Thanks for jogging my memory.

Anyone else used the Makro? I just bought one and the air tests are pretty impressive (might put some test data together if anyone is interested).

I uses a 9v, has 4 sensitivity levels (I think), and I also like that I can select whether the led is on or off.

Also water proof to IP 67 so I guess a dunk shouldn't bother it and comes with two tip covers, one with a scraping blade one without.

I too have looked at the Makro with some interest, pricing seems pretty good, and comes with a few accessories not seen on other pinpointers. Being able to turn off the LED is definitely a worthwhile addition (Nokta RS is the only other with this ability - via a light sensor). Feel free to update your depth measurements to the list on the previous page. :)

I just chucked a Garrett ProPointer in the bin after all the heartburn and angst with it. It wouldn't shut up until I pulled it to bits and found the wires were shorting on the motherboard. OK, fixed Garrett's crappy design issue on the motherboard.

A couple of days later after switching it on to start work it just stayed on. OK...checked out the rubber grommet and saw that it was distorted under the top lip. Unbelievable. So checked the switch and it had collapsed inside. Of course the unit being a gift from my son had to be serviced by Garrett US. So I chucked.

And I will never by a piece of Garrett crap again (and don't get me started on all the heartburn I had with the AT Pro!!!). Plus the response from Garrett was just pathetic. I'm bitterly disappointed.

Yes, it's real failing by Garrett on quality control, and just plain bad workmanship. They have rested on their laurels for too long now, and as a result have been falling behind with ageing products, and not a hell of a lot of innovation. The issues with the Propointer were so prevalent that the pevious Australian distributor had to dismantle each and every propointer before selling them, just to ensure that he wasn't dishing up a dodgy pinpointer to customers - that's pretty damned bad. He had a whole bucket of defective propointers that weren't able to be repaired.

There are more reliable pinpointers on the market now, at a lesser cost, more features, and better waterproofing/workmanship. One of biggest issues was to make a pinpointer with the coil set in epoxy, hence they weren't able to be repaired, just throw away items that are replaced under warranty all the time. The design of the Whites TRX and Deteknix X-pointer is much more sensible, with the whole coil and board assembly easily removed should repairs be required, or to replace a worn outer casing.

rocketaroo said:
Pinpointers are beyond my budget right now, has anyone thought of using a studfinder?

http://www.bunnings.com.au/stanley-intellisensor-stud-sensor_p5663710

Edit, they dont detect metal at all

Some stud finders will also detect wiring... But a pin pointer will do a better job when it comes to metal detecting...

In general, you get what you pay for.... So super cheep is just that.... Cheep and nasty and frustrating. A good functional pin pointer will make many outings much more enjoyable.

What is your Budget ?

I'm sure a stud finder could be modified to detect metal rather than density, there's a smart phone APP for a pinpointer.

Goldpick said:
1c coin:

GPP - 32mm
Minelab - 44mm
Deteknix - 51mm
Whites TRX - 75mm

$1 coin:

GPP - 45mm
Minelab - 60mm
Deteknix - 69mm
Whites TRX - 95mm

50c coin:

GPP - 60mm
Minelab - 74mm
Deteknix - 83mm
Whites TRX - 113mm

On a 0.36gm nugget - 16mm
On a 2.35gm nugget - 58mm
Both on full sensitivity.

I just did a Test on the Whites Bullseye II and it Does,

0.004ozt / 0.13gm = 10mm MAX
0.031ozt /0.96gm = 20mm

A while back I asked Whites why they gave the TRX a frequency of 14 or 15khz When the Bullseye II has a frequency of 36khz and they said it made no Difference, But I also said that it would cross talk with their detectors and they said that IT WOULD NOT, But I see a few of you have had Issue's with it picking up your detectors and digging equipment and vise versa, But considering that most of their VLF's Run at 13.889 To 15.0khz it seems A bad idea and that Everyone Knows that Higher KHZ's are better for finding Gold, So I would sagest that anyone who wants to use A Pin pointer for Gold To Buy The Bullseye II as it runs at 36khz.

Hope this help, John

Received my new Deteknix Pinpointer yesterday and belted down to Jupiter Creek for a test drive,
the results surprised me. Rather than a test of a coin at distances , I thought it may be beneficial and fair for the test to include other common items found when gold hunting to benefit those purchasing as a gold detecting aid and not relic hunting , so did an air test on all the items below which were easily found by my SDC . New Energizer battery , distance nil , sensitivity full rubbing on tip and sides of probe , anything for a signal.
1421230781_image.jpg

From L to R

Horse shoe nail No brainer it screamed

Lead slug. No Signal

Natural lead. Nothing

.76 g Gold. Crickets

Old tin foil. Nada

Tiny old fuse wire. Good signal !

Old 1 cent piece. 50mm away screamer

3 old lead shot together. Zilch ( that really surprised me )

For me , I made the wrong call as my local patch has been Nenadized and I needed something to sort the small lead from
the tiny lead from the minute lead and occasional tid bit , as a relic hunting tool and for larger gold possibly the best on the market. I look forward to using it in a future WA trip though :D

Hope this helps anyone considering a pinpointer

Cheers

Bacchus said:
Received my new Deteknix Pinpointer yesterday and belted down to Jupiter Creek for a test drive,
the results surprised me. Rather than a test of a coin at distances , I thought it may be beneficial and fair for the test to include other common items found when gold hunting to benefit those purchasing as a gold detecting aid and not relic hunting , so did an air test on all the items below which were easily found by my SDC . New Energizer battery , distance nil , rubbing on tip and sides of probe , anything for a signal.https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/4092/1421230781_image.jpg

From L to R

Horse shoe nail No brainer it screamed

Lead slug. No Signal

Natural lead. Nothing

.76 g Gold. Crickets

Old tin foil. Nada

Tiny old fuse wire. Good signal !

Old 1 cent piece. 50mm away screamer

3 old lead shot together. Zilch ( that really surprised me )

For me , I made the wrong call as my local patch has been Nenadized and I needed something to sort the small lead from
the tiny lead from the minute lead and occasional tid bit , as a relic hunting tool and for larger gold possibly the best on the market. I look forward to using it in a future WA trip though :D

Hope this helps anyone considering a pinpointer

Cheers

Isn't that A PI Pinpointer, If So then I would not expect it to pick up that nugget but I am surprized that it didn't see that slug,
That's why I use the Bullseye II because it will see all of them things and Smaller ones Too, I got mine for $70.00 +/- and I have found some really Tiny bits with it.

Thanks for your Efforts.,, john

Thanks for the feedback...

I tested a number of items with 4 diferent pin pointers.

ML profind, garrett , xpointer and nokia rs.

All had issues with small gold and small lead shot...

Tested 3 xpointers and all about the same but one was .maybe a bit better. They all got a tiny SS ballbearing, but not lead of the same size.

Have to do some more testing out in the field and ground balance...

I can make adjustments, but that would take them out of manufacturing specs. However I will look at one of my test units, and see if I can tweak. But it may then work on tiny stuff but loose on the other items....

AM from the field, vis slow data connectuon.

AngerManagement said:

Tested 3 xpointers and all about the same but one was .maybe a bit better. They all got a tiny SS ballbearing, but not lead of the same size.

I can make adjustments, but that would take them out of manufacturing specs. However I will look at one of my test units, and see if I can tweak. But it may then work on tiny stuff but loose on the other items....

Your Most welcome,

Try and get hold of the Whites Bullseye II NOT the TRX, Because the Bullseye II Runs at 36khz it will have the edge on smaller items but the others will see coin sized items further, Keep up the Good work, ya doing a great job,

Heres what Whites say at this Link http://www.whiteselectronics.com/bullseye-ii-pinpointer

When you've located a target and dug the hole, use the Bullseye II Pinpointer to precisely "pinpoint" the target. No tuning. Completely automatic. Works in either "vibration" or "beep" mode. Powerful LED light illuminates target areas when the button is pushed. Powered for up to 20 hours on a single 9-Volt battery.
36 kHz operating frequency, doesn't interfere with any other metal detector.

Heres what they say about the TRX,

White's Bullseye TRX is the perfect companion to your metal detector. Locate valuable coins, rings, jewelry, gold and relics! When you've located a target and dug the hole, use the Bullseye TRX Pinpointer to precisely "pinpoint" the target. No tuning. Completely automatic. Powerful LED light illuminates target areas when the button is pushed. Powered for up to 20 hours on two AA batteries or a single 9-Volt battery.

The Bullseye TRXs area of detection is concentrated around the tip, making it easy to zero in on the target. This feature along with the ones below makes the Bullseye TRX the most complete pinpointer on the market.

Highlights
12 kHz operating frequency doesn't interfere with any other metal detector
Audio and/or Vibrate Alert
Automatic Ground Balance with Tracking
Automatic Power Off
Dual Battery Operation (2-AA or 1-9V)
Full Two-year Warranty
Holster (up to 3 belt)
Lanyard Attachment Loop on TRX and Holster
LED Light
Lost Pinpointer Alarm
Overload Indicator
Replaceable Shell
Rugged Weatherproof Design
Ruler with Inch Markings
Simple One-Button Operation
Target Ratcheting

John

The TRX doesn't cause any of my VLF or multi-frequency detectors to false, only an issue with PI detectors, much like many others on the market. The Profind and Makro are the only others on the market that disconnect the coil circuit when not in use to prevent detector falsing.

The TRX will pick up a small mount of gold flakes in a jar from 5mm, and I believe I may have been mistaken on the sensitivity setting for that last nugget test (may have been on setting 3 vs 4), as the TRX will actually get 30mm on the 0.35gm nugget. Though in reality these pinpointers weren't made for the purpose of finding nuggets, and the use of them on highly mineralised ground may require backing off on the sensitivity a fair bit to prevent falsing (hence make a lot of these "air tests" null & void")

The Pro-find and x-pointer simply do not have the required sensitivity for the goldfields, but then again they are marketed and built to satisfy the coin/relic hunters, both of which do a good job for their intended purpose. Chances are that it will be quicker to locate small targets using a plastic scoop and detector coil vs rummaging around with a pinpointer. Just my view anyway, if it works for you, then no reason to change. :)

AngerManagement said:

G'day AM

If a tweak is possible to achieve small gold / lead detection I would be over the moon and very
appreciative , if not no stress, as I have decided to head to the beach sometime and try my hand at a little
detecting and I will have it in the holster ready to go :)

I am sure there is a technical reason , but to a newbie like myself I just can't get my head around its
ability to pick up a minute bit of wire but not lead shot or gold of that size.

Please keep me in the loop re tweak if it works out

Cheers