Advice on a pinpointer

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can recommend Deteknix Wader LI (orange). Great thing about rechargeable is that if you are in an area of continual targets i just leave it on without worrying about replacement battery cost! It warns you anyhow once it has been on and innactive for too long so that's when i turn it off. Lasts about 3-4hrs this way. i'd put the recharge ability as one of the most positive elements....tired of carrying spare batteries. I've used it consistently for a couple of months to help grab a few hundred dollars of coin from the ground and some deeper confusing targets and it hasnt skipped a beat. only one of used though so cant compare:)

Hi, just tested my new Gold Digger Land or Sea pinpointer and i cant beleive how far it picks up metal , goes off around 13cm from target , ive watched several video's of good brands and i got the impression they mostly went off when you were about 4 cms away ,this is just an air test,will it act the same in dirt ?

Hi Guys, just trying to work out the Pros and cons of some of the pin pointers available.
What are your experiences with the particular pin pointer?
Is there much interference with your detector?
What would be the best brand?

Cheers

HarryHoudini said:
Hi Guys, just trying to work out the Pros and cons of some of the pin pointers available.
What are your experiences with the particular pin pointer?
Is there much interference with your detector?
What would be the best brand?

Cheers

Most of the newer models cross talk with peoples machines due to the lower KHz IE 10 to 14khz and they also upset PI machines.

I am using one of the older Whites Bullseye II because they run at 36khz which makes them very sensitive to Tiny Nuggets and are 100% variable, where all the others have pre set steps, the trend with modern pin pointers seems to be to make them see coins at 4 to 6 inches which is stupid because the Idea of a pin pointer is to zoom in on a target not have it replace your detector,

There is an excellent thread on pin-pointers here somewhere with a good comparison and feeback from Anger Management, Goldpick and others. Someone else will be better at finding it than me ;)

I have a minelab one, it works well but is very prone to falsing, especially if you put any pressure at all on the probe end. I wouldn't just go for the whites either until you have a read of the thread link that BigWave posted,there is some great info in there.

I'm going to get a Garret Carrot soon as I've seen them in action and think that they are very good, much better than the ML one.

I have just purchased the Garrett Carrot and will be trying it this weekend.
I also have the Garrett Pro-Pointer (which interferes badly with the 4500 and is starting to chatter) and the Minelab which IMO didn't stack up to the Garrett Pro-Pointer.

Does the carrot interfere with the Minelab PI detectors when switched off like the Garrett Pro-pointer does?

So many Assumptions as to PinPointers and how to even use them.

See so many with the Pinpointer at 45 degrees and that looses depth and reduces accuracy... One needs to understand the field strength and shape :)

Then there is the issue of SaltWater and any number of factors that can cause you problems...

HarryHoudini said:
Now looking at the Whites they look really interesting with loads of testing showing these out perform the Minelab and Garrett.

A lot of folks like the Whites TRX but I would favour the Garrett as they must be on their 3rd version of it now and they seem to just get better each time, which ever one you choose try and get it from someone on the forum because then you know that you are getting the real deal as some folks have found out the hard way, Good luck on your choice.

EDIT:- I just tested my older whites Pin Pointer using it near the Coil on my VLF and it has to be within 6" of the Coil before it upsets the machine baring in mind that I have a 14x10 Coil fitted to it,

Hope this helps.

John.

HarryHoudini said:
Now looking at the Whites they look really interesting with loads of testing showing these out perform the Minelab and Garrett.

Yes, outperforming them on air tests for both outright depth and sensitivity to small targets, though completely different kettle of fish if used on anything approaching mineralised soils. In some cases you may have to run the sensitivity setting under 3 for stable operation, bringing performance back on par with most other units (as is the case on my soils). Sensitivity settings 3 & especially 4 are near on unusable in my soil, though will differ in other parts of Oz. The Garrett Carrot, although relatively expensive, is a much more well thought out pinpointer minus the niggling issues of the TRX (ie. dim led, poor audio, speaker port is easily clogged, control button hard to locate with gloves/at night etc).

I don't own a GPX detector, so can't help on the interference side of things. Do keep in mind that the Makro/Nokta pinpointers also have a similar coil disconnect feature as found on the Minelab Profind, plus with more feature and a lower price. :)

I've just purchased the Deteknix from Phase Technical, is PI so should perform better on mineralised soil although I understand you do have to move coil away when pinpointing to stop false signal on detector. I'm awaiting delivery, so can't comment on actual performance. Also cheaper than Garret and ML, although ability in mineralised soil was my main reason for purchasing rather than reduced cost.

Hi nicko61,

Wondering if you have tested the Land or sea in the field yet? Or anyone else has some feedback?
At the beach or in the the dirt. Interested how they perform

Cheers
GG

nicko61 said:
Hi, just tested my new Gold Digger Land or Sea pinpointer and i cant beleive how far it picks up metal , goes off around 13cm from target , ive watched several video's of good brands and i got the impression they mostly went off when you were about 4 cms away ,this is just an air test,will it act the same in dirt ?

HarryHoudini said:

That's pretty much what I found too,

My (New) older Whites Bullseye II will work within 6" of the 14x10 Coil on my VLF when both are Maxed Out

And the BE II will work within 16/17 inches of the 12 Mono DF on a TDI again when both are Maxed out,

Running at 36 kHz it can easily see bits weighing 0.051 grams at about 7mm to 10mm +/-.

In junk filled Sites the 9v battery will last weeks and the sensitivity is 100% variable, Not 3 or 4 Pre Set Steps.

John.

Anyways from what I gather the Xpointer seems to be about the best of the bunch, Im still not impressed with the TRX, As for the Carrot I can't say because I have never bothered with it because It is too bright for my liking

The one that has my interest is the Minelab 25, I just like the look of that one over the others, As for how it performs I am still reading up on that one.

Latest posts