Adelong, NSW information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gday Willo.
I havnt been up that way for years but from what I know its pretty fine gold in the creek.
In May I plan on spendin 4 weeks detecting and panning around Tumbarumba.
Staying at Paddys Dam to catch a few fish also.
Some bigger gold has been found in the area.
Hope this helps.
Guy

I didn't find anything while I was there but others have made some gains in the creek that runs through town, just below the bridge near the caravan park as you go through town. There's obvious gravel bars and a rock lined drop off. It's literally in the middle of town just a fraction downstream of the suspension walking bridge.
Downstream you will find the hillsides had large gold operations and the local community has preserved the site and done an amazing job of amenities and signage. Here is a pic of the entrance
1426285655_img_20141223_210313.jpg

I have it on good authority upstream of the bridge can be good, access can be sort from the road running down from the toll freight yard. Might pay to have a chat to the locals there's and old building with a derelict sign for prospecting tours so there must have been interest at one point.

I was there only briefly I went in the adelong river from downstream of the bridge behind a heap of the locals fence lines in waders I must have put in 50 sample holes/pans for nought. I'm sure the flooding the place received in recent years has alot to do with how hard it is to find but I wish you luck. Perhaps others can give some more advice but all the same a nice little town and there definitely is gold there even if I didn't get lucky.

A year or so back an old cocky was digging a fencepost hole and found some yella.....

Not sure but I believe there is a small mine there now which if you know where to look you can see the shed from the freeway.......

That's what I heard from guys at Tumut......never could identify the shed myself, but there you go

cheers

i spent a few hours there, and found some flour gold, and a hell of a lot of black sands.
Nice place to explore the old sites regardless of the the gold.
Cheers
Ryan

Thanks everyone. Much appreciated. We are looking at staying on a friends property over there that has a creek running through it. It is just out of town so I think I will take the detector over as well for schits and giggles if we don't have any luck in the creek. By the looks of it a day wandering around the town might be on the cards as well.

Hello,

I am new to the forum and wanted to introduce myself. I am from Adelong, NSW 2729, a past historic productive gold mining town. I have read a few posts online regarding prospectors wanting to know their way around the Adelong area. My family have resided here from the 1850's and I have been here for 50 years. If someone on the forum needs advice regarding finding their way around Adelong, please feel free to reach out to me at any time.

I have been meaning to get down to Sharps Creek area and find out what is there. I know it's noted as having been a mine area. Some records I viewed in the past showed mining areas there. Along Sharps Creek and just into Green Hills State Forest, in that area there are small creeks worth checking out with your pan. Last time I was in the area I saw where some substantial excavation had been undertaken in an area of the creek outside of the forest areas on private property. Property owners are close by to check in for permission in those areas.

Golden Gully that runs into the Adelong Creek near the old Adelong Caravan Park site has always produced pan gold. The massive Victoria Hill that has leached gold into the Golden Gully brings pan gold into the Adelong Creek close to where Golden Gully meets it. If you can get permission to walk up Golden Gully north on private property, the detector and pan is good in cooler months when water is flowing in Golden Gully. My family owned property, which enclosed part of Golden Gully where we prospected many years ago.

There are a lot of places around Adelong for prospecting. I know most families and if given enough time, I would be able to seek permission for prospecting activities.

Regards,

Peter

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Chewy,

No problem. Thank you for your welcome note. Most of the country in the Adelong region, I have been on 4wd, motocross and recreational shooting expeditions. I have been out now and then with the detector. Last weekend I went to Mount Adrah close to Adelong where the Mount Adrah mine is starting up commercially in September 2015. A km deep to start with in drilling. Chinese put 2 million dollars forward as an investment to move mining ahead further now. There was old mine diggings where I was detecting and I knew I would find rubbish, as I did. There was alluvial gold at the bottom of the hill where I tried where the hill slope meets the flat. I was trying there for a small nugget off the slope.

Next time I go back to that area I will try around the mullock heaps on low VLF setting for smaller gold pieces.

Regards,

Peter

:)

Your a nice bloke Peter111.
Not to many people offer this kind of a service. If i lived up that way i would have loved to catch up. Always fun catching up with like minded people.
JR

Hello JR,

Cheers and thanks for that. Funnily enough my grandfather was a tour guide in the Adelong area in the 70's before he passed. He would take people who visited the Adelong area out on fossicking tours including panning and the use of the gold cradle, which he built. We go back a long time here with my family being Bostons who builts carriages and undertook blacksmithing, including making a lot of their own hand tools.

Any time you are coming this way, please let me know. I would be more than pleased to catch up with any of you like minded people out there.

Have a good night.

Regards,

Peter

Welcome Peter111,
that's very nice of you to offer, you might be able to follow in your grandfather's shoes and start a tour guiding business :)

Thank you for the welcome noncents. Well I have no shortage of business background. If you have a gold pan and a detector then your in business too.

Cheers

Peter

Welcome aboard Peter, that's very nice of you to offer.

Geez it gives me the chits though that the chinese have got their fingers in that mine, seems we're selling half the country to them. Not to mention any project costing more than $150m is now able to hire cheap labour from overseas. Grrr.

Anyway mate good on you for offering to help people around your nice town.

Hello Heatho,

Thank you for the warm welcome. Well the media explained the Chinese investors would collect 49% profit from what ever gold was extracted from the 2 million dollar investment. Locals here had put money into the mine I was told with drilling each time down worth $250, 000.00 without much return.

I hope the ground returns as good as the prospectus reads. It was interesting to read about many ounces per tonne estimated at a metre down in a small area close to the mine. The latest Minelab detector and night vision goggles may be quite useful for some.

I reckon one can learn new prospecting skills by teaming up, so this is a bonus for prospecting in small groups.

Cheers

Peter

Peter111 said:
Thank you for the welcome noncents. Well I have no shortage of business background. If you have a gold pan and a detector then your in business too.

Cheers

Peter

Nah. you have the knowledge and sounds like a passion for it, so that's what makes a great tour guide. And the best Bussiness

Long tme ago camped at Adelong 1988,was there wth the kids dirt biking and trout fishing up in the pine forest, wth a couple of days spent in the caravan park either side,, and at that time the gent managing the park was scuba diving the river for gold and had a jar full of coarse fines, he also told me there were a few illegal dredges operating in the area and doing pretty good,we had a simms sluice wth us but never got to set up there, phill