A belated intro from Melbourne

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
G'day everyone. I've been reading the forum for a few months but only posted for the first time yesterday (in the "How to spot a fake GPX 5000" thread). I'm in the inner western suburbs of Melbourne. As a family (3 kids 17, 13 & 7) we do lots of camping, fishing and general travel. I've played with metal detectors for decades and even built a couple of very basic ones in my teenage years. Reignited the bug last year after a couple of opportunities to go out with Gold Prospecting Australia. Found gold each time in Whipstick and Wedderburn!

Although it's hard to convince the eldest two boys that detecting is cool (they have both an image of an overweight bloke in long white socks and sandals oblivious to the World on a beach and me in a full harness swinging a 5000 :( ) the 7 year old is happy to join me.

I bought an X-terra 305 with an extra 6" DD for a great price on the eve of the Weddrburn Detector Jamboree. The 7 year old found a token but I didn't :) At Dunolly the 6" coil picked up small bits of shallow lead which surprised me.

Now looking for a dedicated gold detector and I'll put up a new thread with some specific questions.

All the best,

Adrian

BTW, my username relates to my favourite chocolate.

Welcome Lindt,
Don't mind their chocolate either, we usually call into the Lindt shop when in Melb. very tempting place.
Good luck with your detector choice, just use a 705 myself for parks/beaches till I can afford a 'serious' tool (not that I'm selling the 705 short, just have to acknowledge it's limitations).
Enjoy the forum, won't be long before you're giving advise rather than seeking it.
Cheers Tom

welcome mate and i think that the days of old when white socks and 250lbs was the norm for a bloke swinging a detector are long gone

Thanks all for the welcome.

It's a hobby that combines many of the things I enjoy. And one of the few that might even have a "pot of gold" at the end :)

Glad to have you onboard, was a great time held at wedderburn with nearly all people winning some type of prize, hope you find heaps and if your after gold, there is only really one detector if your serious and thats a minelab the others will find gold but not at any real depth
I to am from the west and go to most of the token hunts so hopefully see you at the next one

Welcome board Lindt there seems to be quite a few of us from the western suburbs of Melbourne we are so lucky to be within a short drive of some of the best prospecting ground in Aus.
Don't make the mistake of driving past all of the lesser areas to get to the better known areas. A lot of good gold is still to be found closer to Melbourne.
I too love Lindt but it gives me one hell of a migraine if I indulge to much.

Thanks Deepblue and the duck.

Deepblue, I'm very interested in the areas closer to Melbourne as a day trip is much more doable than overnighters. Do you mean around Blackwood as an example?

Blackwood, Daylesford, Taradale, Castlemaine, Chewton, Ballarat, Beaufort list goes on all short drive by freeway.

Welcome Lindt, your right in starting out near home, day trips are the start, gold fever will make you plan longer trips, which u will find just enjoyable, time on ground counts.....lots...Scrubby52

Welcome aboard. Some areas mentioned here is what i call
mountain goat country where its hilly and bushy.

I am in Melbourne's inner west. With a maximum of a 90
Minute drive we have access to some of the best areas
For detecting which includes Talbot.

I think the extra 25 minute Drive is worth the effort.

Some parts of Blackwood is a no go zone for prospecting
unless This has changed..

I do day trips either once a week or twice a month.

Some parts is really clayey so need to get in before the
Wet season starts. Enjoy your stay at this forum with many
Helpful and knowledgable like minded people..

Latest posts