5 tips to avoid snake bites

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK Wooly and everybody else,

Here's a scenario for you.
You are out by yourself detecting or fossicing out of mobile range and about a Km from the car, which I normally am. You have all the snake bite gear with you.
You are bitten by an eastern brown on the leg below the knee.
What do you do?

Cheers
Mick

wooly said:
Just completed my level 2 first aid refresher and thought it's probably a good idea to add here....

Hope this helps.

Wooly

Thanks for sharing this wooly, it's very handy to know these things and hopefully none of us will ever have to use it.

backcreek said:

You are out by yourself detecting or fossicing out of mobile range and about a Km from the car, which I normally am. You have all the snake bite gear with you.
What do you do?

Cheers
Mick

Start practicing yoga to kiss your arse goodbye :D

backcreek said:

What do you do?

Cheers
Mick

Hi Mick,

I'm not an expert here by any means but I would think if you didn't have an Epirb or a UHF radio then you would have a big decision to make.

Things to think about would be..

Who knows where you are?
How long before they became concerned enough to come looking for you?
If no one knows where you are then what's the chances that someone will come looking for you?
Perhaps you could start a fire to attract attention.
Perhaps you have no matches either.

Attempting to walk out may be your only option!

Wooly

Good advice,nice work fellas,I once stepped over a 6 foot blackish snake in the blue mountains,ran up a cliff in thongs that my dad and brother couldn't even walk up!!best advice my dad gave me,leave em alone and they'll leave you alone,,but saying that I've been chased by dugites while black bream fishin along the capel river here in the sth west wa. :)

Just a reminder to stay aware during colder months - seen a 4-5ft black snake only 2 days ago near Hargraves NSW & we have had some fairly cold weather of late. They are still about!

Goldbuzzhashit said:
Just to add to that, where did you get those pair of leg spats/gators from, nugget ?
Looked cumfy !

i am trying to find gators to fit my super long legs ( i am 194 cm tall )

i have tried a few out but they are at best 2 - 3 inches below the knee

Anyone ever seen super long versions ?

an aside to the above , i have seen gators made from canvas but thats only good for snakes with small fangs , what about the snakes with big long mutha fangs ? do the canvas gators have a rating for aussie snakes or are they made to keep out grass seeds and thorns ?

i want gators made from hard plastic at least 2 mm thick . maybe i have to make my own ?

ideas ?

wooly said:
backcreek said:

What do you do?

Cheers
Mick

Hi Mick,

I'm not an expert here by any means but I would think if you didn't have an Epirb or a UHF radio then you would have a big decision to make.

Things to think about would be..

Who knows where you are?
How long before they became concerned enough to come looking for you?
If no one knows where you are then what's the chances that someone will come looking for you?
Perhaps you could start a fire to attract attention.
Perhaps you have no matches either.

Attempting to walk out may be your only option!

Wooly

Whats the range on UHF ?

my hand held one is about 6 km

car based UHF with antenna 12 - 25 km ?

never wanted to spend the money on epirb but Sat phones are expensive too ...... :eek:

wot to do ?

But they would mostly likely have one on Kea birds tearing there cars apart while they were down the creek prospecting :lol:

Hi All,
I see that there are guys asking about snake gaters, if you check out archery shops they more than likely will have them. My wife bought a pair from a Melbourne archery shop for when she goes out bush.

Keep your eyes open and be aware snakes are a beatiful piece of nature and should not be feard unless you are doing the wrong thing cheers Muk.

its disgraceful when people feel the need to kill a snake out in the bush. Keep your eyes open & pay attention to where you are treading. No snake appreciates being stepped on. when you see one just step back a bit & stomp the ground. the vibrations will usually be enough for it to want to get the hell out of YOUR way! :Y:

Great information, thank you so much for sharing. Will definitely remember all these tips.

Has anyone here used a epirb after a bit as taken place whilst solo out bush?.. i carry one with me at all times but curious to know the response times... I must admit i cant honestly see myself being at one with the idea of resting and staying still staring at my epirb after firing off a signal with some blind hope some buggers on the way.

bjarvie said:
Has anyone here used a epirb after a bit as taken place whilst solo out bush?.. i carry one with me at all times but curious to know the response times... I must admit i cant honestly see myself being at one with the idea of resting and staying still staring at my epirb after firing off a signal with some blind hope some buggers on the way.
I carry one when Im bush too.
Luckily never had to use it.
Good peace of mind for me & family...

Latest posts