4500 screaming over ironstone??

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey fellas

Had the GPX 4500 going on Monday afternoon. Had the mono on and had it absolutely going off over this rock. I believe it's iron stone. Any suggestions?

Got the rock out after a good 30 minutes off digging. The machine was going off as if it was a big bolt or horse shoe. Got the rock out moved it down the hill and was still screaming. Split it up with a sledge hammer changed the coil to the DD and absolutely nothing.

Good work out for the arvo tho!

Thanks

Nick
1497404287_img_4554.jpg

Looks like basalt to me. We struck a lot of these basalt hot rocks at Mt Britton in QLD. I couldn't run the SDC at all down the river and the ATX had to be wound right back but it was manageable.

Yeah the larger pieces of the rock were still screaming with the mono but only a tiny signal from the DD.

Were you running in enhance or general with the mono coil? I find general impossible with hot rocks and ground mineralization.

Havnt tried to magnet but could be a good idea. Settings were in general. Waved it over again this afternoon with the mono and same thing. Nothing with the pin pointer tho. Extremely heavy in weight tho.

The TDI's are the only Machines that Ignore that stuff that I know of when running a Mono, VLF's hate it with a Passion,

Seems like the 4500 whooped it's butt with a DD, So that's a winner.

John.

Nick88 said:
Havnt tried to magnet but could be a good idea. Settings were in general. Waved it over again this afternoon with the mono and same thing. Nothing with the pin pointer tho. Extremely heavy in weight tho.

Try it in enhance and see if it's less reactive. Just for the fun of it lol

Put it in enhance and only one piece of the rock goes off now. Not to crazy but definitely a signal. To bad the rock is so solid I can't chisel it apart! Back to it tomorrow

Hi Nick,
Had this same rock a few times absolutely blanking on me think it was Mt Doran and also around Yandoit/Daylesford areas, red on the outside and blue on interior! Just hot and metamorphic i think and remember it being magnetic. Cheers Chris

It's most likely basalt as Moneybox said, I've found areas with lots of this stuff before too, it makes such areas undetectable, it gives a great signal even with an SDC2300 but sadly there is most likely to be no gold in it.