3p 1887

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All,
I found a 3 Pence 1887 recently and noticed the reverse side is up side down, is this normal does anyone have a simular coin?

Cheers
Kev

1530770013_3_pence_1887_....jpg

1530770034_3_pence_1887.jpg

I could'nt take a clear photo so have used these pics.

G'day Kev

A very nice find. Know you added a stock photo rather than your coin, but a good one to find. A bit of info -

Value - VG (very good) 2.25 English Pounds; Uncirc (Uncirculated) 89 English Pounds. That's sort of worst to best.
Silver content is 92.5%. Weight is 1.41gr. So you have about 1.3gr of silver. At about $22 per ounce, that's about 23 cents, so not worth scrapping.
There were over 2.6M printed and are common for the period. But 2.25 pounds is far better than scrap.

However, in researching this coin, I can't find any mention of the reverse being upside down to the obverse. I would suggest you go along to a coin collector shop and get an opinion. But, I'm saying an opinion only. Be careful. Most of these people are very genuine, but!!!!!!.

Good luck with your find. Hope it's worth a million.

8) I just pulled out my 1886 and she is sleeping upside down; dont think upside down is unusual for this era coin.

Latest posts