1970 royal visit gold medallions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
looking for some info on the 1970 royal visit gold medallions, i cant find very much info at all.

there is a few pix on the net but i cant find any for sale.

i would like to know the mintage numbers and cost, the gold content of the 2 medallion set is 3 ounces of 18ct which is around $4000 but what would it cost to buy as a medallion set?.

thanks....Andy.

thanks silver, there old auction prices i think, looked at them last night, gold content is worth more than $3000 in gold alone at the moment.

id buy that for $3000 :D

I don't know about the Royal Visit Medallions, but; I have 2 x $200 uncirculated gold coins in Mint condition. One is the Royal Wedding, the other the Koala proof both early 1980s.

Both are 10gr of 22ct fine gold at 0.9167 pure. Current gold price would be approx. $484.

However they are selling for in excess of AU$1,000 on Ebay and can be as low as $800.

The 2 points here are;

• When struck, gold was no where near its current price, so are both worth more than double the face value.[/*]
  • You can double to triple that price as a collectors item.[/*]

Although the above mentioned medallions are not currency, the same 2 points apply re gold value and availability.

Re coins, similar applies to the original 1966 round 50c piece re silver content and it's price. I have face value $14.50 worth that are more likely worth between $230 and $270.

But like with all such items, most times they are only worth what someone else is prepared to pay :)

thanks condor22 i was thinking along those lines too. they do seem to be rare as i cant find any for sale or many pictures but having around $4000 worth of gold in them im sure they would cost a pretty penny!.

i'd be very happy with some $200 gold coins too :)

numpty said:
thanks condor22 i was thinking along those lines too. they do seem to be rare as i cant find any for sale or many pictures but having around $4000 worth of gold in them im sure they would cost a pretty penny!.

i'd be very happy with some $200 gold coins too :)

NFS LOL

Latest posts