18v cordless range recommendation

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ctxkid said:
Hitachi , the most awesome cordies on the planet , i have every one of them, cannot recommend them any higher
Now called Hikoki Tools, yes good product but sadly have lagged behind many of the technology advances of other brands in the cordless area, may well now change as they are part of Metabo.
Hikoki (Hitachi) very much a trade quality tool.

i use the impact screw driver everyday , it's awesome :cool:

1555024592_img_20190412_085805.jpg

the 1/2in impact has 276Nm of torque , it's awesome too :power: :perfect:

1555024610_img_20190412_085841.jpg

the rest are at home :)

Got an Ozito grinder and 18v drill .
They get used harder than the average DIY person and they are still going strong after 2years ...
Would definitely buy again especially if you are on a budget or havent recived your superanuation yet , but still want a tool that will do the job. :Y: :bomb:

Manpa said:
ctxkid said:
Hitachi , the most awesome cordies on the planet , i have every one of them, cannot recommend them any higher
Now called Hikoki Tools, yes good product but sadly have lagged behind many of the technology advances of other brands in the cordless area, may well now change as they are part of Metabo.

My new triple action IP65 cordie driver is state of the art , i don't bring it to work :( it was bought for work , but it's just too purdy :inlove: so i use the my old one that's in the top photo :cool:

LOL

My kind of thread.

I have a shit ton of Milwaukee tools, tough tools and none are brushless, a pleasure to use.
But there is a $1000+ invested there.

I also have a lot of budget tools -
After a bad warranty experience with Ryobi, same with Dewalt, and Makita, all battery and charger issues,
early in their products development - I will never go back to them, THATS just me.
Their attitudes may have changed with market pressures. BUT I do believe their tools are good now.

When Aldi came along I tried their range with a BIG dose of mistrust (but could easily get it refunded)
I have to say that although the shells of the tools are light weight, they have adequate torque and battery life
from the 4.0A battery.
I have 2x 12v drills,as well as the standard 3 drills, 2 screw drills, circular saw, compressor, docking saw, some other bits,
about 10 batteries 4x 1hr chargers, blower, water pump.
Kato has a 12V drill in her tool kit - yes I give my kids tools, they need some instruction to use them safely though.
She was even screwing an ali joint strip back down to the floor one morning - LOL

The only tool I found fragile was a battery pole saw/hedge trimmer, and that I will be modifying for a totally different use,
but I am disappointing with that one item.
Why extra drills and so many batteries ?, because they are in the camping kit too, and I dont care if they get lost, left or broken.
Aldi tools I would give to a rough new apprentice - kids, they have a great warranty and now parts support.

I have about $480 invested in them, Aldi do bring out a 4 piece kit for $120 - best bargain of anything (except the torch IS rubbish)
Cheap but good batteries.
Check them over if buying, be sure it is not fragile, if you dont like it after use - they have a satisfaction guarantee, take it back asap.

AEG I would also buy with confidence, but they hang around Bunnings and are slow sellers, I put that down to a lack of brand familiarity and price.

This is just my opinion and experience.

ctxkid said:
Manpa said:
ctxkid said:

My new triple action IP65 cordie driver is state of the art , i don't bring it to work :( it was bought for work , but it's just too purdy :inlove: so i use the my old one that's in the top photo :cool:

Yep, keep your best stuff at home if you can, they tend to go walking at workplaces.

I have a real mix bag, no real allegiance to any brand, probably because of working in the tool wholesaling business for more years than I care to remember I picked up bargains when I saw them

Milwaukee predominantly, Skil, Ryobi, Hitachi, DeWalt, GMC, and others that have gone too the big power tool graveyard.

PabloP said:
ctxkid said:
as for anything gardening , Stihl is the only one to go with !

expensive but you get what you pay for

I agree 100% regarding the Stihl gear, as I use Stihl for vehicle Chainsaw, Hedge trimmer and even lawn mower as they have compatible batteries.

Rob P.
i hear you

1555025914_wp_20141125_004.jpg

since the photo , have added a pole hedger and a cut off saw :perfect: :heart: :cool:

A simple thing but a lot of people don't know. With in a year you can return anything faulty to the place of purchase for either a full refund or replacement. It's basic consumer law. If the shop says it does not do returns that is not true. I have a dewalt brushless drill and impact driver I am happy with so far ( two years )

WOW, I have got some reading to do to catch up on this thread.
Thanks for all the replays,
I have come to the big smoke today (literally, whyalla lol) and heading to the bigger smoke next week, Adelaide. I'll have a hunt around and have something by Easter.
Ryobi is looking good, I hadn't considered them before this but I'll read and check them all out.
Cheers

LORD said:
WOW, I have got some reading to do to catch up on this thread.
Thanks for all the replays,
I have come to the big smoke today (literally, whyalla lol) and heading to the bigger smoke next week, Adelaide. I'll have a hunt around and have something by Easter.
Ryobi is looking good, I hadn't considered them before this but I'll read and check them all out.
Cheers

ebay is your friend for hitachi ;)

The best thing with Ryobi is the same battery is used on the older drills etc. I had a Makita great drill but they changed the battery format so to replace the battery is worth more than the drill. With Ryobi I have some very old gear that all use the new Li-Ion battery. Great way to keep your old tools going. The worst ones I was given were GMC tools lasted one day.

Cheers

PabloP said:
Darn, lost my post, so here I go again.
Me I have been using the Bosch Professional series for quite a few years and would find it hard to go back to the cheaper ranges, as I want performance and reliability over price. Yep, pay through the nose, but they are good kit. Another son uses the same Bosch gear as he previously worked at Bunnings and got them at a discount.
Rob P.

I used bosh for years but got shitty at their battery systems/prices.

I have a range of 18v AEG and unfortunately have been supplied with Ryobi at work. AEG make Ryobi look like a kiddie's toy, when side by side with the AEG, the Ryobi is pathetic. I now take my AEG to work as I know it'll do what I want it to do, Ryobi fails dismally, marketing hype and hot air.

Had DeWalt prior to AEG, also good, bigger and heavier and were getting too expensive on the batteries, plus AEG has their 3 + 3 warranty.

In oz you can pretty much accept the following as trade quality tools, AEG, DeWalt, Hikoken (Hitachi), Festo, Metabo, Makita, Milwaukee, Bosch Blue, Hilti, Panasonic.

Pretty much anything else is handyman.

Of course this is only my opinion, others may disagree.

It is a bit hard to go by name these days, most manufacturers produce different models at different prices for different levels of use. I had a bad run with AEG so I won't buy them anymore but others love them.
For non commercial use it is hard to go past the Ozito X Change series of drills, they switched from a Chinese design to a German design a few years back and are now very good. They come with a 5 year warranty on the drill and a 3 year warranty on the battery and charger, mine are about 3 years old and have never missed a beat.
For professional use I would go Hitachi, Milwaukee or the top shelf Makita.

I have a set of makita that are used every day on the job by the workers. I have Milwaukee at home that Ive built up slowly. The makita kit is very good. It gets knocked around a bit but keeps going and the batteries seem to last pretty well.

Latest posts