⭐ Show Us Your Cut Stones - Before And After Photos

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kingsolomon said:
Lefty said:
Not cut by me KS, the cutter is a jewellery-maker. Which facets are the extra ones?
On the left , lefty... In between the star facets and girdle facets , the has been an error . Basically cut the corners of the top of the meet point . Common index error , I would not be able to leave that there though. Would also make stone smaller to correct. Mind If I ask what you payed to get cut?

May have to change name to Hawkeye

1405854568_image.jpg

Here's some of my cut stones . I take pride in my work..:)
1405854710_image.jpg

Photos don't do them justice ... I'll be taking orders sooner or later , let you know. Got a lot of material to cut..

I don't think a mirror is giving your work credit.
Sharp looking stones oh king of gems.

Great work Barney!

I've seen these stones fellas and the pics don't do them justice at all, they look fantstic. Barney is very serious about getting the best cut and polish out of a stone, I can't wait till he's offering his services.

He's totally obsessed, he won't talk about anything other than gems at the moment. :D

I have heard it said that the best quality gemstones are often cut by good hobbyists, with the quality of the finished stone as good as - and perhaps even exceeding - that of many professionals. There are a number of reasons for this and I think a good hobbyist turned pro would probably discover that it was a whole different kettle of fish.

The hobbyist is free to concentrate on absolute pefection (as close is as humanly achievable anyway) but while the pro must do a good job, spending twice as long to return a smaller stone in order to correct a small error is probably not an option - time is money for the pro and he cannot charge the customer for the time it takes to fix an error, nor afford to be too slow in general. If the hobbyist is unhappy with a stone, he can simply return it to a drawer and come back to it some time in the future - the pro has no such option because the stone belongs to a customer expecting to receieve the finished good in a timely manner.

I applaud people who have become good enough at their hobby to take it up on a professioanal level - just remember that something that you love to do will become something you have to do. You will not always feel like it but the choice will no longer yours because it will have become your job.

Not trying to put anyone off, if you're good enough to do something professionally then go for it by all means. Just pointing out that there's inevitabley a difference between doing something for a hobby and doing it for a living.

Lefty said:
I have heard it said that the best quality gemstones are often cut by good hobbyists, with the quality of the finished stone as good as - and perhaps even exceeding - that of many professionals. There are a number of reasons for this and I think a good hobbyist turned pro would probably discover that it was a whole different kettle of fish.

The hobbyist is free to concentrate on absolute pefection (as close is as humanly achievable anyway) but while the pro must do a good job, spending twice as long to return a smaller stone in order to correct a small error is probably not an option - time is money for the pro and he cannot charge the customer for the time it takes to fix an error, nor afford to be too slow in general. If the hobbyist is unhappy with a stone, he can simply return it to a drawer and come back to it some time in the future - the pro has no such option because the stone belongs to a customer expecting to receieve the finished good in a timely manner.

I applaud people who have become good enough at their hobby to take it up on a professioanal level - just remember that something that you love to do will become something you have to do. You will not always feel like it but the choice will no longer yours because it will have become your job.

Not trying to put anyone off, if you're good enough to do something professionally then go for it by all means. Just pointing out that there's inevitabley a difference between doing something for a hobby and doing it for a living.

I understand ..
But by your logic.. Say get a new spray job on your vehicle .. There's runs in the paint. Do you a.fix them? B . Tell customer didnt have time and charge same price because you have another job to get too? Not so pro in my book. My teach saw your post on another forum , he's pro , and wouldn't of left it at that . Like I said , if your happy with cut all good . You have posted it so its for all to comment . The polish is also an issue for me , not so good . I'll be pricing myself in the higher ranges for people that want quality , and not have to recut there gem after a cheap ( expensive) mistake..

But yes ... Taking a hobby to career can take away what you initially did it for in the first place .. Ready for that , not sure i like it though!...:)

I think runs in the paint on a car spray job would be a more serious issue than what has occured here Barney - the error in that case is obvious to all and sundry. In this case, it took the sharp eyes of an experienced cutter to notice there had been a small mistake. The photo was posted on two different lapidary forums and you were the only person to notice. It does not in my opinion detract from the look of the stone (except now I know it's there). I don't think I could sell it now though, knowing that it isn't perfect - I would feel compelled to tell the person that there is a slight error in it, even though it looks pretty and sparkly. I think I'll just keep it.

I'll check the polish as well - someone on another forum has mentioned that photographs can make a well-polished stone appear woeful and vice-versa. I haven't tried to clean it, it may be just a bit dirty.

Good luck with your new career anyway, I hope you do well :)

I'm actually glad I posted the photo and that Barney has picked up the faults in the job. It's still a nice-looking gemstone but I'm a bit dissapointed that the bloke I trusted made a number of mistakes that were not corrected. I did not pay for the cutting but dad did.

If I bust my bum down a hole in the bush for a week and I do manage to rake back a few first-grade sapphires and zircons, I have no intention of letting them get turned into second-grade faceted gems.

People doing cutting need to remember that in this day and age of the internet, their work can potentially be veiwed by anyone on earth with access to a computer if photos have been submitted.

I'll examine the other two stones closely but my faith in the person has been damaged a bit :(

It is ok lefty
The stone looks good,you got a couple of extra facets...bonus.....
Easily done,the only fix is to keep cutting the stone smaller n smaller :(

Nice work by the way there kingsolomon
See you got a step cut ,is this easier than the brilliant cut.your opinion

Have you cut any natural gems yet?

Varts

Exactly lefty, don't want to bust your but to have a second rate stone..:) give the stones a clean in metho .
Varts the stones in photo are topaz, zircon and cubic zirconia. Cutting a couple of really nice blue sapphire today... The step cuts are 113 facets so are little bit harder . I'll give you degrees and index for a cut if needed . Know em off the top of my head..:) it's not a really hard cut but effective . Gets a bit tough on sub carat stones though. So try it on something bigger.

I thank you for pointing out the flaw how else are we going to know what to look for in our cut gems I like perfect job that is what we are paying for so thank you again I am one bit better of reading this every little step counts :)

Kingsolomon said:
Exactly lefty, don't want to bust your but to have a second rate stone..:) give the stones a clean in metho .
Varts the stones in photo are topaz, zircon and cubic zirconia. Cutting a couple of really nice blue sapphire today... The step cuts are 113 facets so are little bit harder . I'll give you degrees and index for a cut if needed . Know em off the top of my head..:) it's not a really hard cut but effective . Gets a bit tough on sub carat stones though. So try it on something bigger.

I can't wait to see the blues :cool:

Latest posts