⭐ Gold Detecting Show'n Tell

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Bjay and Dingnit I can tell you that put a bounce back in my step after many months and many miles between finds :Y:

Thanks Sandta, YellowFever and aussiefarmer. aussiefarmer getting a handle on ground your looking at is number one for me and taking the time to travel around the district looking for those hard to get to spots coupled with bucket loads of reading about the area, hopefully if I continue with that mantra I will get to post more photos :playful:

It may take you a while to top that haul RD, well done mate, NSW has been delivering the goods lately.

Thanks Magilla, I am now in the Golden Triangle near Castlemaine and I went out one day and then spent a bit more time reading up in detail about the spot I'm in. When you look at old photos and realize that all the land for miles looked like a moonscape and the some of the growth in front of you is only 100 plus years old coupled with just how much dirt they moved you are dead right finding another haul going to be a challenge and finding the right spot to do that is a bigger one :Y:

BREAKING NEWS: Gold rush has begun North of Goulburn,South of Bathurst.

Seriously though Roxydog,fantastic nuggets,your efforts have rewarded you.Well done.

Thanks Macca, Eldorado RM Outback, and diggit, ah yes the spot Macca feel free to point in any direction for me :playful: and to narrow it down a bit Eldorado the place started with a T ;) hope that helps :lol: But seriously how amazing are the water races down in this part of the world, i am around Irishtown /Vaughan area and these are everywhere.

Well we can't compete with Roxydog's finds but then who can.... :)

The date has been set.if all goes well Mrs M gets her new hip on 6th March.

The most important thing now is to keep her well, no cuts or scratches, no illness and certainly no falls. In other words mothball her for a short while. Weve already taken the trip to Geraldton for the pre-op and all that kerfuffle that they go through before an operation. The hospital has given her a raised chair, raised toilet seat, shower chair and all those things you need to just feel like youre getting old.

We bought a cheap house in Geraldton to have somewhere to stay before, during and after the operation. I mean real cheap, its ex-housing commission and the windows are boarded up. It looks so bad nobody else wanted it so the price was right.

1551750355_20b.jpg

It serves two purposes. Firstly, we have accommodation because the hospital is 500km from home and then its kept her physically busy and kept our minds off the potential problems ahead. Then of course Im going to need something to keep me busy while shes tied up. Well, I guess theyll tie her up, how else are they going to keep her in one place for a week or so?

Mrs M is bored already, too sick from the drugs a lot of the time and too sore to do all those things that shes used to. Were in the new house trying to make it livable but yesterday she suggested we head back to Cue for a few days until she has to be in the hospital. I didnt like the idea because while were here were ready. If we leave it to the last minute to arrive anything could go wrong.

The first thing I did was check on the weather forecast, 45C in Cue. Not my choice of place to be when I have a beautiful sea breeze here in Geraldton. However shes bored, itching to get out and needing to scratch that itch.

I thought I had talked her into hanging around for just one more week but that didnt stop her mind from wandering. The next thing I heard was What are you doing about that 40e permit? Are we going to get to use it before it runs out? Well, what could I say, I really wanted another chance to get to that spot I had lined up.

1551750429_sky.jpg

Before long we were throwing odds and ends into the van and heading for the goldfields. The weather forecast for the area was looking good and I had at least packed a couple of detectors for myself. All I had for Mrs M was her boots. She used one of my shirts, the SDC2300 I brought for myself and a cheap little sling. Her harness, pick, spade, radio, PLB and everything else was left in Cue. You dont need those things when youre heading off to hospital. or so I thought.

1551750476_breakfast.jpg

We got started about five hours before Mrs Ms usual time to rise and arrived on the patch well before she really woke up. She sat there, in the WA desert in the middle of summer, eating her breakfast while all rugged up in a jumper. However, shortly after she was showing off the first gold nugget in the soup ladle.

1551750509_2nd_nugget.jpg

From there on it only got better. I got a couple of sun-bakers about a half a gram each and then Mrs M uncovered a nice 2g nugget closely followed by another gram. By the time the day warmed up to the point where we decided it was time for our midday nap we had better than 8g of gold. That mightn't sound like much but considering we were in a new location with very little planning we were really happy.

1551750559_tools.jpg

I had previously started detecting higher up the hill but the scraps of rusty steel and nails drove me away. Mrs M was working further down the hill and seeing the amount of yellow pegs she had laid out for me to dig I decided that perhaps I was too hasty in abandoning the higher ground.

After the sun dropped enough for us to go back out I tried again in the dirty ground up near an old mine. I got lucky. Right at the base of an old mullock heap I dug a hole deep into the undisturbed clay below the rust and nails. As soon as I struck that clay layer I started to feel a bit more confident that I was onto something good. Before long we were in possession of our second largest chunk of gold, a nice 32.2g piece.

1551750684_1st_day.jpg

We had intended to work on into the night but after such a good day we decided to settle down early with the plan to get an early start in the morning. I continued to dig rust and nails in the morning but Mrs M continued on dropping little yellow pegs amongst the rocks.

After Id had enough of the rubbish I went to see how my prospecting partner was getting on. She already had a few nuggets rattling about in her bottle and another six pegs set out for me to dig. From those six pegs we got eight nuggets and one tiny piece of curly wire. I wish I could have had odds like that.

1551750803_rusty_rubbish.jpg

We left when the temperature started to rise after morning tea and arrived home early in the afternoon with better than 40g of gold. It has to have been one of our best trips yet considering the time spent, the lack of preparation and the final result.

[video=480,360]https://youtu.be/2NGYebC-s60[/video]

Thanks Moneybox and Jaros, Top job Moneybox and Mrs Moneybox :D great finds, looking forward to getting over to my old stomping ground had a 3yr stint based in Kalgoolie with the mineral exploration i worked for and still have all my old maps and data books looking to put them to good use :clap: :Y:

roxydog21 said:
Thanks Macca, Eldorado RM Outback, and diggit, ah yes the spot Macca feel free to point in any direction for me :playful: and to narrow it down a bit Eldorado the place started with a T ;) hope that helps :lol: But seriously how amazing are the water races down in this part of the world, i am around Irishtown /Vaughan area and these are everywhere.

Well done roxydog21. I reckon I detected one from the same area, years ago. It took me many hours to find it so you did well to get on to the larger pieces.
1551767310_eca9afd2-1677-4f7f-924f-8a1eb42f3984.jpg

Sooo. Im sitting around in Geraldton waiting for my new hip and Im sooo limited in what I can do. And Im soooooo BORED!! Reading, reading, reading, crosswords, crosswords, crosswords, tv, tv, tv I love them all but theres only soooo much just sitting I can put up with. :/

We managed a bit of time (sitting) at the beach (it rained) after picking up some pre-surgery X-rays, inspected a rubiks cube loo and then I was bored again. Doesnt take much. So I said to Phil, Are we ever going to use that 40e we paid for before it runs out? I just want to DO something because Ill be out of action for months very soon. Hmmmm. I could hear the cogs grinding in his head.

1551777068_img_7830.jpg

1551777099_img_7834.jpg

He looked at me unsure how Id go but I just said Lets just GO!! Ill take my book and crosswords with me, lol. Well, I didnt actually say lol but you get the picture.
We didnt even have a 4WD to get into the bush or Zimmer, my little 90cc Honda quad to get into the site. Time to improvise. a lot of that goes on around us. We threw bedding into the back of the inadequately setup van, threw Taz in as well (poor boy), some food and water but there was no prospecting gear for me. We really werent counting on that happening. :|

I rifled through the kitchen drawer and found a soup ladle to use as a spade while Phil found me a steel trowel and some tools to dig and scrape the ground with. I grabbed a cushion to kneel on and a handful of bright yellow clothes pegs to mark any finds I couldnt dig. Even the new raised toilet seat from the hospital got to go camping. It was very likely we had forgotten something but we called that good enough. There is always an abundance of good enough at our place.
We got up at 4.30am (so this is what dark in the morning looks like, hehehe :p ) and headed off at 5.07am. It was freezing but expected to reach 32 degrees, so not too bad. Several long hours later we had negotiated a non-4WD spot and were prospecting. Correction Phil was prospecting. Taz and I were rugged up against the cold winds and having breakfast.

1551777191_img_7745.jpg

1551777227_img_7755.jpg

It wasnt long before there was a Were on the board!! shout and an invitation to come and look. Three small nuggets that look like cornflakes were shown off and apparently they were sun bakers. :sunny: Because the area was reasonably flat I got to spend some time there while the master went uphill.

My first find was a chunk of rust (yay) and the next sound was exactly the same. I managed to get down on the ground - because it is easy to fall down - but not so easy to get up so I called Phil to help. I dug a bit and he finished it off. The rust turned into a nice 2g nugget :D . if only they all would. I was pretty chuffed and the next two targets a metre away in each direction were both 1g. No sun bakers for me, though.

1551777691_img_7574.jpg

1551777738_img_7586.jpg

1551777981_img_7579.jpg

1551778006_img_7578.jpg

1551778527_56955683590__e0b241d5-f83a-4eb9-98a7-689539085c47.jpg

In fact there were so many targets in close proximity that I just had to peg my lease and leave them for later. There were pegs all over the place and one area that had 6 pegs yielded 8 nuggets, three from the same hole. Not massive but a nice little bonanza all the same. :argh:

1551778722_img_7784.jpg

1551778816_img_7759.jpg

1551778842_img_7593.jpg

It was very hot so we had our siesta and ventured out again in the early evening. Naturally, Mr Smartypants dug to China for a lovely 33g chunk to outdo my efforts but what a nugget and what a guy, lol :inlove: :clap: . Time to call it a night. :zzz:

1551778929_img_7770.jpg

1551778969_img_7764.jpg

1551779091_img_7820.jpg

Day two we started very early in the cool and I again found a small run which I pegged. A few nuggets and heaps of rubbish each later and the temp was soaring, I was in agony and the gold had run out so it was time to leave.

1551779145_img_7803.jpg

1551779180_img_7596.jpg

1551779211_img_7835.jpg

1551779424_img_7823.jpg

Phil raked in all our holes as per the rules. Because he didn't get out into the field, Taz chucked a wobbly and turned his back on us in disgust and sulked. Poor thing. but he did get to try out the hospital loo seat. :poop:

1551779257_img_7809.jpg

1551779302_img_7813.jpg

1551779330_img_7812.jpg

Overall, it was a surprisingly terrific result with a total of just over 41 grams. Yoohoo. I'm happy I got out and about - new hip, here I come, lol. :cool:

1551779389_img_7828.jpg

1551779485_img_7601.jpg

1551779514_img_7604.jpg

1551779676_screen_shot_2018-10-14_at_19.49.15.jpg

So says the retired teacher, lol. :)

Latest posts