⭐ Gold Detecting Show'n Tell

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Found my 1st speccie today!
Fair size piece of quartz with some very small specs of gold in it. At first I thought there were only 2 small specs of gold, but there are a hell of a lot, some are very very small. I have it sitting in some brickies acid atm, will it dissolve the very small bits of gold?
Cheers, dave.
will post a pic shortly.

Some nice finds of recent times fellas.
Congrats on the specci. As far as I know brickies acid won't eat quartz and it also won't eat gold with size having no bearing on that.
Hydrochloric acid will dissolve iron stone after lengthy periods and clean up stains well.
I believe hydrofluoric is what you need to eat quartz however its very dangerous shite! I wouldn't even go near it if I was you.
There is a product called alibrite which can be purchased at super cheap and it has a small percentage of hydroflouric. I've read that guys have used this succesfuly for this exact purpose however once again takes quite a while (weeks from memory).
Have a search on the Google machine, hope this helps

Ok, thanks for that.
the pics didnt come out all that well, but ill put them up anyway.
the gold appears as grey green lines and dots in the pics, but are obvious up close in the sun. Looks like there is fine gold wire through it in places....
1444889184_20151015_1526221.jpg

Should I just whack it with a hammer to see whats inside, lol, its not a particularly pretty specci, and I reckon ive probably thrown away a few hundred others that could have had some in it to, nearly chucked this one to.

Yeah its probably not worth trying to dissolve the quartz as there isn't a big nugget to preserve or anything.

Don't walk too far away from it Bjay,... it hasn't travelled far and neither should you,... maybe you could work out where it was shedding from, from the location of your finds,.... you could imagine a dirt slip covering it all at that spot, and the old fellas misssing it completely(wishfull thinking I know).Looks nice and woulda made you smile I bet. :D

Looks like you had a great weekend Bjay. I'm glad It worked out for ya mate. Best session on the gold and a PB :) Congratulations :D
Like silver said, it hasn't traveled too far. nice and spikey.

Unfortunately it wasn't some secret spot but a well flogged reef. I'm just guessing that a sdc hasn't been over it yet.

Hope this is some inspiration for new folks as I've only been at it for about 10 months now. Driven past the spot plenty of times thinking it wouldn't be worth it but the trip before last thought why not on the way home and got a couple of littles plus 6 small species. Lead me to better results. Best thing I like about this hobby I'm always learning new things.

Latest posts