⭐ Gold Detecting Show'n Tell

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, here is my haul from my first try at detecting! Apparently I found the spot at an old workings where they had shot at targets. 6 bits of lead were from the same spot with other targets I decided to leave after I recognised the pattern.

No gold though, I thought it best to leave that for others and I would clear up some of the scrap metal instead :p. Will have to to try my luck another time!
1582711279_first_results.jpg

I decided to to a bit of panning as well and had more luck the old fashioned way.

Shakey Jake said:
Well, here is my haul from my first try at detecting! Apparently I found the spot at an old workings where they had shot at targets. 6 bits of lead were from the same spot with other targets I decided to leave after I recognised the pattern.

No gold though, I thought it best to leave that for others and I would clear up some of the scrap metal instead :p. Will have to to try my luck another time!https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/16103/1582711279_first_results.jpg

I decided to to a bit of panning as well and had more luck the old fashioned way.

Shakey Jake, Most places have been well worked by detectors over the last 40 years so it's difficult to find a bit of good clean ground with gold. That area where you picked up this rubbish might be a good place to go back and work well. There was obviously a lot of activity in the area many years back so very likely gold there. The old rubbish can mask the gold and these are the type of areas that are still giving up big gold nuggets. Most of us ignore these areas because of the rubbish but that's why there are still nuggets left behind ;)

Down memory lane,
Forty years ago this nugget on the right made me scream out and dance with a bloke I used to play golf with (no dancing !) and that nugget along with the other one had already been dug from the bedrock wash over a hundred years before by a digger that didn't have enough water to wash all his paydirt,but he probably got many more in that little hole in Dunolly,
1583299557_first_gold.jpg

Both were from the surface of mullock heaps, Boy were we happy!
Just a few weeks later just above Dunolly at Kingower,a man called Kevin was kneeling beside a hole he had just dug crying tears of happiness and relief looking at the top of a nugget that was still half buried and one that would change his life,
1583299940_kevin-hillier-interview-hand-of-faith-gold-nugget.jpg

I never got to meet Kevin but in the last year or so after reading his story I couldn't think of a more deserving bloke,
Not long after our little finds I was back in Melbourne at a barbecue a couple of streets from my place at a mates place and he introduced me to a relative of his (a gem dealer) who might be interested in my detecting hobby, His name was Cyril Kovacs, a nice guy,
As time passed I learned what job Cyril had taken on !
Sadly Kevin and Cyril have passed but they will remain famous,
1583300820_hand_of_faith.jpg

I eventually put the nuggets on neckchains but the "boss" hardly wore them,So I got the local jeweller to put them in a ring,but you need your arm in a sling to wear them 18.5 gm ;)
1583301175_img_3767.jpg

Have you ever heard the saying "In the right place at the right time" ?
Well I got it half right around 1970,I was in the right place at the wrong time, and I was working for a mining company called Geotechnics based in Perth,we were being payed to go all over Western Australia pegging claims during the Poseidon nickel boom rush, they said that there were 3 or 4 paper millionaires in Leonora at the time, I was walking over gold everywhere and didn't know what a metal detector was,
1583301732_mt_house.jpg

The red cross on the map is where we had the camp and the helicopter at Mt House cattle Station,The motorbike we used to tie to the side of the chopper
1583301963_kimberlies.jpg

1583301992_widgemooltha.jpg

1583302078_dsc04922.jpg

1583304044_chopper.jpg

Forty years later the gold urge hasn't abated but from all the photos of gold I see there's still a bit out there,
One more interesting incident that happened in the kimberlies was flying near Regent Sound along way from the nearest road I noticed a fire and told Ron the pilot,it was only the size of a campfire and when we landed Ron went across to kick it out and something caught my eye and I noticed a bloke dart his head back behind a big rock,we went across to him and he didn't speak english,he was wearing a very torn suit, and he looked very frightened
and weak, we took him back in the chopper to Mt House, it turned out he had arrived in a ship in Perth and got a car then headed north, the people at the station had given him directions ,but he just kept going towards the coast of the Kimberlies,the road must have run out for him so just walked on, another few days and that fella would have had it ! I often wonder what ever happened to him,the hamburger I cooked for him dissapeared without touching his throat !
Australias a big place guys,
Oh, One more pic,
Got some coins,but the one top left was being minted the year Peter Lalor started an argument with the government,1854 a very important year,
1583303342_img_3759.jpg

Cheers guys
mondo198

Welcome to PA mondo198 great story and pictures :perfect: thanks for sharing. I really like the ring :gemstone: looks even better with the story of how it was created :beer:

Aussiefarmer, I am interested in those scales of yours. I assume they are powder scales? My RCBS ones will not weigh anything that small but they are older generation ones. I have to weigh it on the Lyman balance scales first to know how much it is then be quick with the photo before the weight goes to 0. That piece is very tiny and my smallest one with the 7000 has been 0.026 gram.

Regards Axtyr.

Latest posts