⭐ Gold Detecting Show'n Tell

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes Wally and RS, prospecting will be my career in a couple weeks, damn scary. (although I don't plan to detect much in December and January each year)
Great answer you gave your Mrs when she asked about the 7000 price. I recommend that you start the initial softening up phase with the "it would be a good investment" angle, with subtle references to the good nugget finds the 7000 is scoring mentioned every few days.

I like the investment angle, you only need to find 7 ounces to pay it off.

Seriously, you will have to try mine out for a hour or so if we detect in HE or somewhere soon and get a feel for it.

RDD

I definitely needed a better macro lens for my biggest nugget. I had a fiddle with the settings on the SDC and eventually got it to see gold :)

1430301779_nugget.jpg

I'd like to say I found another nugget but I'm not sure if it falls into that category?

Well done mate, I bet you will be checking the road as well :D I found a little sub gram nugget many years ago in the middle of a dirt road(more like a track). I hope that there's more there for you to find.

Cheers

Thanks fellas very happy with my new spot 5 minutes from my dads house :) looks like council have been pushing dirt into the bush here for years.

Do you think it was a direct result of the booster GD? Just interested, I've been umming and erring for a while on buying one.

Mate ill be honest with you ive sat on the fence for a while too. I purchased one of woodies boosters and did not see any benefit. I was recently at a day out with 13 prospectors of all skills. Some who had never swung a detector. 5 of us using 4500 some 4800 and a 5000. At the end of the day everyone bar me had snagged at least one piece. I had a really good hard think about it. I know my settings were the same there was one difference between me and everyone else there i had no booster. Everyone was running b z. So i grabbed one and using a test nugget on the 11 mono .15gram piece i got 3 inches max signal when i flicked the booster over i got easy 10 inches. To my surprise my 11 inch mono was now as sensative as my joey 8 x 6. I headed 10 meters away from the car and swung on an area that i could see some wash from the rain. Staight away i heard a solid gold response. First thing i did was hit the bypass switch on the booster and honestly mate even thought i knew it was there could not get a wisper. Back over to boost setting 2 and it was rock solid i knew it was gold or lead 100%.

I dont like telling people what works and what doesn't becaue ever ones ears are different im running tone 52 now which gold is clear as day FOR ME.

Make your own assesment but for me $200 well spent and i think jonathan porter has really taken the time to get these boosters right in the field. Whereas alot of otger boosters are made in a lab.

Heatho said:
Do you think it was a direct result of the booster GD? Just interested, I've been umming and erring for a while on buying one.
Don't buy one until you try one out mate. If your out this way I'll give you mine & you can compare it to a $16.99 Chinese LH-380. If you can find any discernable difference other than price & that the LH-380 is an all in one unit then you'll be doing well.
Not knocking the high cost brands like the B&Z, Rooster Booster, DeTacc Super Sound, Treasuremate II (Vktek), etc. as they all work to enhance the signal or amplify it but there isn't any great difference between any of these & the cheaper LH-380 which is only $45 in Australia or $16.99 direct from China. In fact the "drive" switch on the LH -380 provides even more boost in my opinion.
I've owned/used all of the above listed models & also found none are really as robustly built for purpose as they could/should be either.
In short I wished I had found the LH-380 many hundreds of $$$ ago + the curly Swamp Industries guitar leads which are far better than the cabling supplied on other units. Much more economical option that works just as well - my thoughts anyway. I'm sure others will disagree but like I say Heatho let me know & I'll give you mine to try. Can't give you a LH-380 though as yet. Loaning my spare out tomorrow for a few weeks & using the other myself. I've also got a Treasuremate II if you are any good at fixing leads - needs a new plug.

Worth noting all of those brands work to bring value to our hobbie and by supporting them we keep the $$$ in Australia.

I learnt alot from Jonathan porter so he gets my support as his product works for me

It's worth noting, as I said, that I've purchased, owned & used all of them. I've pumped a lot of dollars into detectors & accessories in Australia. I will also offer an option to others if they want to try a budget type of accessory if I think from my own use it is ok. I've used & still use a lot of JP's products/DVD's etc. as well as other Aussies in the industry but thanks for the lecture.

mbasko said:
Heatho said:
Don't buy one until you try one out mate. If your out this way I'll give you mine & you can compare it to a $16.99 Chinese LH-380. If you can find any discernable difference other than price & that the LH-380 is an all in one unit then you'll be doing well.
Not knocking the high cost brands like the B&Z, Rooster Booster, DeTacc Super Sound, Treasuremate II (Vktek), etc. as they all work to enhance the signal or amplify it but there isn't any great difference between any of these & the cheaper LH-380 which is only $45 in Australia or $16.99 direct from China. In fact the "drive" switch on the LH -380 provides even more boost in my opinion.
I've owned/used all of the above listed models & also found none are really as robustly built for purpose as they could/should be either.
In short I wished I had found the LH-380 many hundreds of $$$ ago + the curly Swamp Industries guitar leads which are far better than the cabling supplied on other units. Much more economical option that works just as well - my thoughts anyway. I'm sure others will disagree but like I say Heatho let me know & I'll give you mine to try. Can't give you a LH-380 though as yet. Loaning my spare out tomorrow for a few weeks & using the other myself. I've also got a Treasuremate II if you are any good at fixing leads - needs a new plug.

Cheers Matt, that would be appreciated, hell I should just buy the LH-380 for the price, lunch usually costs more. :D I wonder about the compression side of things, most guitar style amplifiers do often offer some natural signal compression and or limiting, the more drive they have the more apparent it can be. I think that's why the LH may work well.

Just like when advertisments jump out of the TV it is all because of severe compression and limiting of peaks then boosting the average level. The loudness is more but the volume the same generally (maybe a bit more) as normal program material.

I guess most of the boosters on the market must offer some basic type of compression while boosting the average level hence making the softer subliminal signals quite a bit louder.

G0lddigg@ said:
Mate ill be honest with you ive sat on the fence for a while too. I purchased one of woodies boosters and did not see any benefit. I was recently at a day out with 13 prospectors of all skills. Some who had never swung a detector. 5 of us using 4500 some 4800 and a 5000. At the end of the day everyone bar me had snagged at least one piece. I had a really good hard think about it. I know my settings were the same there was one difference between me and everyone else there i had no booster. Everyone was running b z. So i grabbed one and using a test nugget on the 11 mono .15gram piece i got 3 inches max signal when i flicked the booster over i got easy 10 inches. To my surprise my 11 inch mono was now as sensative as my joey 8 x 6. I headed 10 meters away from the car and swung on an area that i could see some wash from the rain. Staight away i heard a solid gold response. First thing i did was hit the bypass switch on the booster and honestly mate even thought i knew it was there could not get a wisper. Back over to boost setting 2 and it was rock solid i knew it was gold or lead 100%.

I dont like telling people what works and what doesn't becaue ever ones ears are different im running tone 52 now which gold is clear as day FOR ME.

Make your own assesment but for me $200 well spent and i think jonathan porter has really taken the time to get these boosters right in the field. Whereas alot of otger boosters are made in a lab.

I'm with you GD, I'm sure you saw all the fancy audio gear I had, a lot of that was for boosting and or taming signals to get the best signal to noise ratio possible. I guess these boosters are doing a similar thing for very subtle gold signals which can dissapear into the ground noise. I guess boosting both ground noise and gold signals there is a point of loudness where one even though subtle will become apparent from the other instead of being masked.

When I used to do editing there were some faint glitches that really had to be heard with the volume turned way up or they would go unnoticed..... until compression and limiting were added and then they would become emabarrasingly apparent when it was too late to fix. It all makes good sense I guess to use one. I think I'm going to try Matt's idea with the mini guitar amp first and see how it goes, if it's not my thing I'll try a B&Z.

Latest posts