⭐ Gold Detecting Show'n Tell

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi All

Seven tiddlers from.04 to .16 found with the 4500, Jwall the Hoover master would be happy if he is still thinking about buying a 4500.

Anthony.

1498387526_img_0421-min_1.jpg

dam it said:
I gave the GPZ a bit of a work out over the weekend tried something different and targeted under
HIGH VOLTAGE POWER LINES :eek: :eek:
It was not smooth sailing ........ it was rough as chite when I first started but sort of expected that ;)
So with a lot of trial and error got it running smoother :eek: but :D was still chatty at times :| but usable :Y:

doh...read as GPX. Nvm

gasco29 said:
Very impressed, I was sure the SDC was the master for the little pieces :Y:

If you go ultra slow and gently scrub the coil on the ground and use a GPX like an SDC then yeah they will certainly find very very small bits, got my smallest bit last trip with my 5000 with a 15x12 commander coil on a mullock heap I'd already run the SDC over. I think the nug was just out of the SDC's range. That piece was just under 0.1g

Yes Teemore did the same but been back and raked two spots I had success at before and picked up a few extra from each location.
With the SDC that leaf, stick and stones once they are removed just gives a bit more depth.

Well done I am looking forward to rake my patch too and see what else there is left :)

Here are my finds for today, very happy my patch is still producing :)
1498560976_img_0629.jpg

1498561262_img_0630.jpg

All I can say is I am very happy, I started gold prospecting and found my first nugget only 9 days ago and I already found 63 bits, my goal was just one nugget for my month and a half trip, ....done :D

Happy hunting everyone :)

Heatho said:
gasco29 said:
Very impressed, I was sure the SDC was the master for the little pieces :Y:

If you go ultra slow and gently scrub the coil on the ground and use a GPX like an SDC then yeah they will certainly find very very small bits, got my smallest bit last trip with my 5000 with a 15x12 commander coil on a mullock heap I'd already run the SDC over. I think the nug was just out of the SDC's range. That piece was just under 0.1g

You wanted to say 0.01 I think ? Because 0.1 is easy for an SDC I think ( or I guess you just didn't walk over it the first time with the SDC :) )
My smallest bits are 2x 0.04 ( before cleaning so maybe 0.03 ) with the GPZ, very impressed myself how tiny it can find :eek:

1498830914_img_3276.jpg

1498830914_img_3277.jpg

Gave the Z and the Gold Monster their first tandem run today. Couple of small bits with the GM to start and then met up with bhogg who was keen to have a bit of a look at how the GM works. Whilst bhogg was checking out the GM I picked up 3 with the Z. And finished the day with another couple for the GM.

In the pics the 4 pieces together are the GM's haul. The piece out to the side has only got that tiniest piece of gold showing with ironstone covering both sides. Amazing that the GM picked it up.

A lot has been written in many places about the GM and although it is a very basic machine there are still a few changes that can be made to increase stability or optimise sensitivity whilst also not being overloaded with hot rocks. Today has been the first time I've actually had some time to play with various settings over different targets and dig lots of targets regardless of what mode I was in or what the discrimination was saying.

Short notes:

- hot rocks (at the location I was today) were a real nuisance in all metal mode - they really pinged. But were pretty much non existent is gold mode.

- I could run at about sensitivity 6 in manual or in auto mode without any issues. Above 6 or in auto + made everything a bit lively.

- in JP's treasure talk he talks about the machine taking a short time for the auto GB and auto sensitivity to come into alignment and quieten down. Today was a spot with hot rocks, hard packed moist red clays and lots of changes in soil type. Whilst the unit makes a few errant beeps and chirps to start with, over a minute or so it does quieten right down and seems to track really well.

- helping the tracking. Every now and then the unit would make a noise that wasn't indicative of a definite target response and by sweeping the coil several times over the area the tracking would adjust and the noise would go. Checked with several hot rocks and pieces of gold and found that sweeping many, many times over these targets did not track them out - wanted to make sure I wasn't tracking out good targets.

- depth. All the GM targets were shallow. The first 2 were in ground I had been over pretty well with the Z so I was a bit surprised to find anything. The other 2 were in ground where I got the 3 pieces with the Z today. So I wasn't expecting to find anything of great size or depth. But it did pick up tiddlers the Z missed. Of note though was what ended up being a .22 projectile that was about 5 inches down and it pinged this without an issue.

- discrimination. I'm not sold on this yet. If it ONLY indicated gold then it certainly ended up non-ferrous. Quite a few targets ONLY indicated iron and they were ferrous. But many targets - especially hot rocks - would indicate in both directions. And, as was mentioned in the GM thread, some targets indicated iron when swinging left and gold when swinging right. EVERY target that indicated this ended up being ferrous. So although the indicator is not altogether accurate it is at least being consistent :|

- coils. Not that I think the larger coil is a dud but I really like the little 5 inch GM coil. It picked up pieces that I just couldn't seem to get a proper signal on with the larger one.

Today was the first time I had met bhogg and can I just say that if anyone plans a meet up with him they can do so in the knowledge that he is a nice bloke, enthusiastic about the hobby and good for a chat. He had a try of the GM for an hour or two and found a small bit so was pretty happy. He had brought along his MXT (I think :/ ) and was having a bit of trouble with ground noise for the most part - sounded like a flock of geese doing circles overhead for a while :D Did not seem to have any such issues with the GM.

A good day out :Y:

nice finds the gpz will find smaller than gpx 4500 for sure but not smaller than sdc well in my case anyway

Latest posts