⭐ Gold Detecting Show'n Tell

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This weekends find from the west.

Thought I was going home empty handed after 10 hours then with 10 mins before the sun went down got this little fella. Went .62g
Made my day :)

1497275085_img_3945.jpg

Well done fellas.Lot of finds lately.
I wouldn't mind having one of those golden eggs every morning Bjay :D

Really nice finds. Hopefully one day I can myself get to have any one of these in my hand. :Y:

maxwell4 said:
Hi guys

Bought home a couple of hot rocks yesterday that had no visible signs of gold. Crushed them up and panned them off
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/4283/1497260466_img_4906.jpg

Just goes to show you need to investigate before you chuck them away, will add the bits covered with ironstone to the two rocks I have soaking in albright. Hopefully there is a lot more to come from them.

Cheers

Bob

Ps some good results from the meet up at Maryborough

Hi Maxwell4. I was just wondering what reading your hot rocks were showing. Was it a high Ferris or low hot rock reading or somewhere above the non ferris range? I have only had two outings with my detector and had a couple of rocks that were showing a coppery colour and a higher reading. Just wondering what I should bring home to test. Thought they may have contained some copper as copper is found in the area.

My finds from my stay in Maryborough last month , biggest was just over 4grams and the smallest was .13grams .

I was using the 5000 with a 14 x 9 Nugget finder evo coil when I found the .13 grammer , it was at about 150 mm deep , a good clear signal .

I am amazed at the sensitivity of these coils ,it seems to almost match the 2300 a lot of times .

Regards Bruce

1497323538_dscn1302.jpg

Bjay said:
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/5449/1497260924_image.jpgMy golden egg with ironstone yolk from this morning. Plus my other bit I was 99.9 % was sure was another piece but not to be. Funny thing they weighed much the same 9.7g . Pretty sure it's 303 but looks to be a bit shorter than other 303 rounds i'v found and most older one I didn't think we're boatail like this one .marksman?https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/5449/1497260966_image.jpg

That's one of the most interesting looking nuggets I've seen for quite a while congratulations Bjay.

Thanks,Big Wave, but it's just luck and persistence,you just have to walk over it.

I usually put in about 6 to 8 hrs per day , because I have to travel about 1000 km from home, I put in as much time as possible.

Love to live in the GT, but the missus would,t agree unfortunately.

It is a great hobby , and I love the history surrounding the gold rush in Victoria.

Regards. Bruce

Just my inexperienced opinion bjay I'm not totally sure why but I think it was more unique uncleaned.
Still looks very nice.

Bjay, I don't think that is classed as crystalline gold. This one looks to have been formed in a cavity in the rock but as I understand it crystalline gold grows freely into a cavity without filling the space so it ends up with free crystals not encased it rock.

Thanks money box for the explanation.
Does anyone know if a ultrasonic cleaner would work on removing hard clay out of small pockets . The only way I could do it was with hf , worked great but took away most of the ironstone plus started on the quartz as well. Started with hcl but that won't touch clay.

Bjay.

The acid won't eat the clay but it should soften it up enough to be able to allow you to remove it with either a tooth brush or a pin/needle. You might need to soak and scrape, then repeat until all the clay is gone.

I doubt it is crystalline gold. Most gold off the matrix looks that way, but under a good magnifying glass crystalline gold should look blocky and similar in structure to other crystals such as quartz, i.e. lots of flat sided edges. It will look very distinctive.

Regards Axtyr.

Nice gold Brucee :Y:

Went for a 2 days trip on Thursday /Friday and had a night at a motel in Inglewood (I'm pretty sure the owner is a prospector because his office was covered by pictures of big nuggets :eek: )
Also when I arrived i realised i forgot to take my wallet hopefully I brought enough food and the motel charge me when I made the booking online otherwise I'll sleep in the car :(
First day I didn't find mutch 5 nuggets biggest 0.3xxg
And second day 5 nuggets biggest 2.15g
Total 3.80g
The weather not to cold not to hot.. beautiful days to be out :D
Mosquitoes are back and I was on the menu :/
1497669387_img_2735.jpg

Latest posts