⭐ Gemstone & Mineral Show n Tell

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glen Innes way, found it on a farm track that had a little sapphire bearing gravel on it to fill a pothole, said to the family I have to stop for a quick look. Picked this up plus a couple of blue chips.

It could have come off the mountain instead of from the gravel so origin could be a bit of a mystery.

There is only one thing a sapphire won't scratch in that area.

test it again with a different sapphire in case the first test stone was a blue spinel, ( I found one of those before) there is a chance it could be diamond.

Thanks for that, don't want to get my hopes up, it doesn't have the classic shape of a natural diamond. It only has the one natural crystalline face (shown) the other side is fractured indicating the original stone was larger.

It is clear, with a very slight champaign colour. Was thinking different colour sapphires may have different hardness based on the element contributing to the colour.

Anyone with thoughts on this theory?? :rolleyes:

I agree, it looks nothing like a diamond to my mind.

Just scratch tested it on a faceted sapphire bomb (test subject......don't criticise the quality), it took the corners off without scratching the stone.

Quality of stone is good, very clear under light, slight colour but may be surface reflection rather than stone itself although I would call it a slight champaign colour

1387444473_image.jpg

So the sapphire chipped scratching the said stone ?

I thought maybe topaz , but it is an 8 on MOHS, so the sapphire should have scratched it

Try a photo with flash over the stone without the light underneath, see if it reflect back a glossy waxy color to be sure if it's a diamond :)

Unfortunately I don't have a flash on the iPad but it has a waxy looking surface except for some very small chips that are glassy. Not quite my usual sapphire surface that tends to be weather worn or completely glassy.

It certainly wears down a sapphire point without being scratched, but I just ran the pointy end of the stone (although dull) over a sapphire to see if I could scratch it but could not get it to mark either.

Might need to sharpen the point and give it another go or could run it down to the local jewellers over Xmas and see if they can test it.

My money is on sapphire, as one does not clearly scratch the other, just a very unusual coloured one.

The mystery continues !!!!!

From the way the cleavage plane looks polished and shows a worn crystal edge, I'd put my money on Sapphire or Zircon. Diamond doesn't have wavy cleavage planes so i doubt very much that it's diamond.

Cheers Wal.

Great stones, very nice colour

Looks like a great spot, have not been to that area before, is it public accessible???

The biggest in the middle is 4.95ct blue Sapphire and the Zircon is 4.52ct the big one :)
Public accessible but you will need permit to dig across the road.

Latest posts