⭐ Gemstone & Mineral Show n Tell

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes headbut, I was digging near the toilet! No nuggets but plenty of virgin wash to dig
I'd be along sapphire bend rd or at my van Varts.

Some of my finds of the last year or so.

A day in the Weld River, Tasmania:
1384985032_weld.jpg

A half day in another nearby creek:
1384985062_black.jpg

A dark royal blue, 5 carat sapphire from another nearby creek. It was an overcast day and I was in the forest. I thought it was a spinel. I was starting the movement to toss the sieve contents after having picked through them when I caught the glint of blue:
1384985204_blue.jpg

Plenty of good sapphire in Tasmania if you look for it.

M

Some amazing stones there mfdes, the blue in Sapphire is just incredible.

Thanks Nugget,

I keep reading in old reports, etc that Tas sapphie is a) small, b) not often in blue hues. I haven't got a clue where the no blue hues came from, as to small, it all depends where you go and how you persevere. I've seen a 70 carat stone found in April.

There is a track between the two bridges heading west up a hill over to the fork of the two rivers, be careful if its been raining! The council brought the land in the 70's for fossicking and put some dunies up. The mines dep. bulldozed the top of the hill when a guy got caught in a cave in for four days before he was found! He traded his sapphires for water and pizza so he could keep digging :)...

Wow Mfdes that's a lovely royal blue rock, I managed a 1.3ct one today and gee I'm dreaming of a 5ct one:)... Did you find all that from one days sifting, strong back I guess.

Thanks Dezman , last time I went there, I uncovered a "Coke Can" , so figured it was tailings & havent been back since . Time to return :)

Can anyone help identify the pinky/purple gem on the far left (black background)
1385022968_image.jpg

And the same gem over the light on the top right came from Grabben Gullen
1385023045_image.jpg

I didn't find this myself but I picked up this pretty decent sized morion crystal from the local trading post for $4! They didn't think it was worth much because it wasn't clear :rolleyes: .

1385030757_wp_000276e.jpg

I reckon you have the bargain of the decade mate , that is rare stuff , associated with uranium deposits , well done

I thought so too :D . The woman at the counter said to me she'd only just put it up and that she didn't think it'd sell. I'd hate to think how much they bought it for.

Thanks everyone,

Some of that was riding on the back of a big flood. Lots of scoop work and the luck of finding a good hole. Rest assured most of my days are not that productive!

Hopefully if not raining will be out at black springs over the weekend ( white hilux) may see some of you guys out here
1385099034_image.jpg

:eek:

going to camp at grabben gullen over the weekend hope to see some people there if it is not raining :)

Latest posts