⭐ Alluvial Show n Tell

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alibrite will whiten the quartz but don't leave it in too long as it will start to dissolve quartz. A day or three usually does it - check it daily until you get your desired result.
Just read the safety instructions for using Alibrite as it does contain nasty hydrofluric acid (very small percentage) but used properly is quite safe & effective. Available at Supercheap et al.
Personally I like it as is. Nice find :Y:

Thanks mbasko, I'll hop into Supercheap tomorrow and see if I can grab some Alibrite. I do have a bottle of hydrochloric acid (like 27%) in the shed though, is that no good? I'd like to keep the quartz though I just think it'd look a lot nicer if the quartz was white... on the image it's lighter than it is in person due to the camera flash. But I know I'm just being picky! :playful:

navieko said:
Thanks mbasko, I'll hop into Supercheap tomorrow and see if I can grab some Alibrite. I do have a bottle of hydrochloric acid (like 27%) in the shed though, is that no good? I'd like to keep the quartz though I just think it'd look a lot nicer if the quartz was white... on the image it's lighter than it is in person due to the camera flash. But I know I'm just being picky! :playful:
I've never used hydrochloric acid as I am led to believe it won't dissolve quartz?
It may work to whiten the quartz - not sure? I know Alibrite will do both depending on how long you soak the specimen for.

1572900736_img_20191031_200937.jpg

A good day sniping.

jamiealdridge said:

Is there any gold in there Jamie :( I know my eyes are a on serious down hill slide but the colour doesn't look right. Have you got a clearer picture, not doubting you your the alluvial King (we need a Golden Crown emoji Harry :D) just the gold doesn't look to be in focus. Hopefully I'm not alone or that's saying I'll need to wear eye crutches full time :8

Is there any gold in there Jamie :( I know my eyes are a on serious down hill slide but the colour doesn't look right. Have you got a clearer picture, not doubting you your the alluvial King (we need a Golden Crown emoji Harry :D) just the gold doesn't look to be in focus. Hopefully I'm not alone or that's saying I'll need to wear eye crutches full time

If its not gold Ive been wasting my time for the last couple of years

1573519283_1f1f564d-5d03-4665-bd31-9c1f38ac5b5b.jpg

Like most of us I have brought a few buckets of material back home to tide over the AU withdrawals when I can't over to the goldfields. About 6 FULL buckets actually. I'm hangin out for a decent gold fix at the moment. So I thought I'd shake a couple of pans down to see if there is any joy to be found. 2 buckets into it and I'm glad to report, I have found a bit. 1 bit. Still most of this was stuffed hurriedly into a bucket 5 mins before coming home from different spots, and mostly before I had any idea what I was doing. So bloody lucky really. But I am a firm believer in any gold is good gold, so I'll take it. Lol
1573534011_20191111_184742-2016x1512.jpg

Latest posts