⭐ Alluvial Show n Tell

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1569021391_3ab3d6e6-b277-4475-afc7-0e0302e38578.jpg

That was an interesting one- virtually no black sand, virtually no fine gold, and struggled to find even a speck elsewhere on the creek. That was following a crevice for about 15 ft, some of those I could pick straight up of the bottom. The biggest just under a gram. Looked like someone had started the crevice- first foot- and then left it!?
Took me 4hrs to get that. Totalling 8grams. Very happy. Some the day before and some the day after also.

My first real attempt at panning. Not much to show for 5 days but I have learnt a lot about panning so hoping next time I will do better! One of the pieces was found by my partner which was his first ever find so that was a celebration.

Still very happy that I found some gold at all.

We didn't make it to VIC as we had planned as we ran out of time and was unsure about where we could detect in the Riverina area so we tried our hand at panning.

Always good when you can bring home a little gold!

1571034860_gold_2.jpg

rZbYZQs.png

Not much here. But I found this to be a real interesting one. The reason being that this is from literally one shovel of beach sand from the local beach. :eek:

Certainly wasn't expecting that. Wasn't expecting to find anything for that matter. Needless to say, this has got me very intrigued.

75l5f81.png

Looks like there is heaps of micro-fines in the black sand too. But I just can't pan it out as it isn't visible to the naked eye.

I tried a powerful neodymium magnet on it, but it seems to be mainly hematite and wasn't particularly interested in sticking to the it.

Went out for a detect today at a location where there is a lot of bedrock/crevices (detected a 1.7g nugget here a couple weeks back), and found a crevice that was hard packed with countless chunks of iron (large bolts, screws, nuts, washers, etc)... so ended up putting the detector down and grabbing out the pan/classifier & crevicing tools and got to work cleaning it out. Half way through the process I noticed a yellowish chunk of rock sitting under the water, and as usual in these cases I childishly thought to myself... "wouldn't it be nice if I picked it up and it actually turned out to be gold?"

Well..... turns out today was my lucky day? :eek: :cool: :goldnugget:

1572777813_the-specimen_1.jpg

"unfortunately" it is a specimen and has a good bit of quartz embedded in it, but hey I ain't complaining! :)

1572778111_the-specimen_2.jpg

Before I took these pics it was initially quite stained and dirty so I put it through the ultrasonic cleaner which made the gold look nice and and yellow, but am pondering whether I should try letting it soak in some hydrochloric acid to dissolve away the quartz a bit? Or is there a way to "bleach" the quartz white?

Also how do I go about calculating the actual gold weight? Currently it weighs a little over 7.2g! :D

Latest posts