❓Your Mineral Identification Questions answered here

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JackWCustoms said:
Which Mookaite is silicified porcelanite, following up with what Goldie said about it being a silica mineral :Y:

Thanks for that JC.
It is just gorgeous and a sizeable piece also. I am a big fan of Jasper :perfect:

JackWCustoms said:
New account btw.
Jacqui, It looks like the pink/purple stone is mookaite jasper. :)
Have recently cut some just like it

Can you put up a pic of it please?
I would love to learn how to cut and facet gems. Clearly there is a skill to it ?

Im sorry but I just checked the forum and saw your request. Unfortunately, Im off to Grabben Gullen for a few days camping but will post the photos when I come back :)

LoneWolf said:
That Greenish rock looks a bit like 'Gympieite'... Only found around Gympie QLD....

LW....
That is because they call blue or green or grey chert from Gympie, Gympieite - they don't call the same stuff elsewhere after Gympie. The problem of local marketing names for fairly common rocks..... :(

I knew that, just looks like a piece I have here... I have also been told that Gympieite is the name used and accepted with Some Geological organisations as well now for that type of rock coming from Gympie..

Im yet to see a pretty piece of it tho... Looks a bit plain to me, but some are going nuts over it at rock/gem shows...

LW...

LoneWolf said:
I knew that, just looks like a piece I have here... I have also been told that Gympieite is the name used and accepted with Some Geological organisations as well now for that type of rock coming from Gympie..

Im yet to see a pretty piece of it tho... Looks a bit plain to me, but some are going nuts over it at rock/gem shows...

LW...
I think it very plain. When you say "geological organisations", there is really only one way a mineral name can be registered and that is international. It is just coloured chert (a rock not a mineral). I find it a bit frustrating how marketers make up new names for every boondie they try to flog. Dead common. :argh:

1570254049_7e139ba4-c3bf-4b43-b075-2cd687ef4aa2.jpg

Found this red Gem in a creek out of cairns
Today as far as I know theres no red Gems
Up this way, does anyone know what it is ?

Yeah its tiny surprised I even spotted it.
Thank you Ill have a look at garnet, puts
My microscopic gold finds to shame though
:lol:

1570663130_part_1570662864691.jpg
Hey guys, newbie gem hunter. Been working out the quirks on id. Only methods i have at my disposal scratching with other gemstones and scales.
We have found possible diamonds. Definitely sapphires and zircons but between sapphire and zircon unsure how to distinguish.
I have a photo with a phone light beaming through it, i know the type of light causes issues with perceiving gem quallity..
Just looking for a bit of help on identifying our finds

Hi Mouse77. You may not get much help based on the photo you have provided. If you have a look back on pages 26-28 of this topic we discussed a sample that may have some superficial similarity to yours. It ended up being a mineral called Enstatite.
Good luck.

Martyz said:
Hi Mouse77. You may not get much help based on the photo you have provided. If you have a look back on pages 26-28 of this topic we discussed a sample that may have some superficial similarity to yours. It ended up being a mineral called Enstatite.
Good luck.

Thank you martyz, i had a look at the pages your referring and realized i need to provide better information cause it could be likly.
Though what would be a better way to take specimen photos? When just working with a phone camera.

Mouse 77 you could start with a clear shot taken in natural light that might show the fracture characteristics or any obvious crystal structure. You can also use your iPhone camera through a 10 or 20x loupe if you have one. Failing that, you can try holding your iphone a bit further away and tap on the screen to focus on your subject. If the shot looks clear then use your edit function to crop the image to increase size before playing with the light settings to improve overall detail.
Also on this topic you will see where members are directed to the instructions for performing a number of basic diagnostic tests on mineral samples.
You can see from the discussion we had on the enstatite sample I found, the more information you can provide, the better chance there is of narrowing down the field. Location and information on surrounding geology also helps. :Y:

1570770778_img_20191011_160231.jpg
1570770765_img_20191011_160157.jpg
1570770180_img_20191011_160138.jpg
So im back with i believe a better photo split in 3 with a few differnt rocks.
Far right is another photo of my origional photo a couple posts back, the next to the left is a more Purplely clear then the photo shows
The next two im suspecting one is diamond (the one to the right) as i dont have a huge range of identification methods its all we can really do and the last green one is rough on the outside though reasonabley fault free inside, it is not the best photo for that one.
All of these finds are from torrington nsw to urulla mixing between deep creek mann river yarrow creek rocky river and a couple others.
Ill add a photo of all the best finds aswell if i can.
Hope these are better

Latest posts