❓Your Mineral Identification Questions answered here

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ward69 said:
LoneWolf said:
Heavy? Could be a Galena type ore... Galena is VERY Heavy...

Your Example has more than 1 Mineral in it... Pyrite will give you your Gold look.... or could even contain Gold...
If you look here, and scroll down, you will see over 25 Minerals are found in the area... A lot fall into the Silver/Galena/Siderite families...

https://www.mindat.org/loc-195101.html

LW....

Many thanks LW. Tried to upload other samples. But photos to large But looking at the website. Very helpful. Pyrite. most likely It came from a old mine at Stawell , which leads to more questions. When a mine hits the water table deep the gold is still in a solution with in the pyrite. Hope thats correct
At Stawell some gold is locked in pyrite below the water table, some is free gold both below and above the water table.

You can reduce photo size in various ways in Windows. One of the easiest is just to zero in on part of the photo and use the snipping tool to just make an image of just part of your original photo. But it requires the original to be very good quality.

You can reduce the size of the entire picture with Paint (which comes with Windows). Open the image you want to reduce in Microsoft Paint. Note that the image dimensions and the size of the file are displayed at the bottom of the window. Click the "Resize and Skew" icon in the Image section of the Ribbon. Reduce the image size. Click the "Pixels" option to select a new size for the image in pixels. To resize the image by a percentage, click the "Percent" option. Enter the horizontal or vertical size you want. When you change either the horizontal or vertical size, the other size changes automatically, provided that the Maintain Aspect Ratio is checked, which is the default. The new file size and image dimensions are displayed at the bottom. Click the "File" menu and select "Save As" to save the image with a new file name. Note that the dimensions and file size at the bottom of the Paint window have changed to reflect the change you made.

just starting said:
Just another ...... rock ?

I was told colour in the quartz is an indicator of gold from the reef it came from and quartz that is just white with barely any colour to it won`t bare gold .

Is this likely to have come from deep in the ground or closer to the surface ? I am just trying to understand how to read the quartz.

Thanks .
FOZ
"Reading" the quartz is almost impossible. "I was told colour in the quartz is an indicator of gold from the reef it came from"
What do you mean by "color". Quartz itself can have colour (e.g. rose quartz, amethyst), but I suspect by colour you mean inclusions of other minerals. In some areas the presence of other SULPHIDE minerals - or graphite - can mean the quartz is more likely to contain gold. In others gold can just be in pure white quartz. Often there is a general rule for a particular goldfield. Pure transparent quartz like glass rarely contains gold.

"and quartz that is just white with barely any colour to it won`t bare gold" . Nope, not so - it can be loaded with gold - look at this sample:

1565047944_gold_white_quartz.jpg

There are reasons for some of these things. Quartz in pure form is transparent - however the quartz typical of quartz veins looks white because of all the little bubbles of the original fluid that formed it (and any gold in it) - they break up the light. Whether other minerals occur with gold depends a bit on the chemistry of the ore fluids that deposited the gold. Gold in quartz veins is often dissolved in a form attached to sulphur. If it hits carbon (graphite) the gold dumps out. If it hits iron minerals like magnetite it dumps out. And because of the sulphur in the ore solutions, often sulphide minerals dump out with (or near) the gold - copper sulphides like chalcopyrite, lead sulphides like galena, zinc sulphides like sphalerite, iron sulphides like pyrite, arsenic-iron sulphides like arsenopyrite, or antimony sulphides like stibnite. So this is why gold is often spatially associated with quartz that contains sulphide minerals or graphite.

However there is another way that gold can dump out, and in those places it may be just gold in quartz (as in the photo). But one process of dumping out gold will usually dominate in a particular goldfield, so you need to look at old ore on mine dumps (crack a few lumps of quartz ore). For example in Victoria, at Cassilis it will have lots of different sulphides, at Bethanga mostly lots of copper sulphides with some other sulphides, at St Arnaud or Percydale only moderate amounts of galena pyrite and arsenopyrite, at Ballarat just traces of sphalerite, pyrite and arsenopyrite. In general in central Victoria many goldfields only have traces of sulphides in white quartz, or just white quartz. But 99% of white quartz has no gold just the same....but it is more likely to contain gold than the surrounding rock, especially where there is no quartz gold will be unlikely.

This shows how the mineralogy of gold veins varies across the State of Victoria:

1565049145_domains.jpg

1565049170_gold_mineralogy.jpg

An Australian Adze...not a New Guinea adze, or a Maori adze
1565061961_img_0047.jpg

And that's why they chucked it.

This is an adze.

goldierocks said:
Ward69 said:
LoneWolf said:
Heavy? Could be a Galena type ore... Galena is VERY Heavy...

Your Example has more than 1 Mineral in it... Pyrite will give you your Gold look.... or could even contain Gold...
If you look here, and scroll down, you will see over 25 Minerals are found in the area... A lot fall into the Silver/Galena/Siderite families...

https://www.mindat.org/loc-195101.html

LW....

Many thanks LW. Tried to upload other samples. But photos to large But looking at the website. Very helpful. Pyrite. most likely It came from a old mine at Stawell , which leads to more questions. When a mine hits the water table deep the gold is still in a solution with in the pyrite. Hope thats correct
At Stawell some gold is locked in pyrite below the water table, some is free gold both below and above the water table.

You can reduce photo size in various ways in Windows. One of the easiest is just to zero in on part of the photo and use the snipping tool to just make an image of just part of your original photo. But it requires the original to be very good quality.

You can reduce the size of the entire picture with Paint (which comes with Windows). Open the image you want to reduce in Microsoft Paint. Note that the image dimensions and the size of the file are displayed at the bottom of the window. Click the "Resize and Skew" icon in the Image section of the Ribbon. Reduce the image size. Click the "Pixels" option to select a new size for the image in pixels. To resize the image by a percentage, click the "Percent" option. Enter the horizontal or vertical size you want. When you change either the horizontal or vertical size, the other size changes automatically, provided that the Maintain Aspect Ratio is checked, which is the default. The new file size and image dimensions are displayed at the bottom. Click the "File" menu and select "Save As" to save the image with a new file name. Note that the dimensions and file size at the bottom of the Paint window have changed to reflect the change you made.

1565068189_img_e0392_2.jpg

Many thanks Robert, Finally found out how to download and crop from the iPhone to the Laptop this is the second image

thanks Mark

goldierocks said:
Now can see many minerals. Could it be greenstone on the Stawell Fault?
i.e. some crystals look like amphiboles - in fact it looks like a mixture of things like amphiboles and feldspars. Could be greenstone (metabasalt), less likely granite. If you gave the location it could probably be determined in minutes.

goldierocks said:
goldierocks said:
Now can see many minerals. Could it be greenstone on the Stawell Fault?
i.e. some crystals look like amphiboles - in fact it looks like a mixture of things like amphiboles and feldspars. Could be greenstone (metabasalt), less likely granite. If you gave the location it could probably be determined in minutes.
Thanks Robert. Came from Stawell. Location unknown. Was given to a mate few years back.

Hi all,
im looking for infomation in regards to crystals that glow pink to red under uv light. The crystals resemble topaz but once faceted they RI test 1.588. Beryl. Is it possible that maganese has been present when the topaz pocket formed and has softened the crystals. The pocket produced over 1kg of stone, and was mainly yellow with a few greens and blues found as the pocket was teetering out.
Thankyou
1565856657_20170411_230333.jpg

The SG of beryl and topaz are very different (approx. 3.5 for topaz versus 2.8 for beryl). So it is easy to determine which it is without damaging the stone. Topaz often fluoresces (but usually not pink to red) but beryl rarely does. A photo might help.

intrinsicgems said:
Thankyou. Im been attempting to download pics. I will work it out and post some pics.
SG determination is cheap, simple and non-destructive, I have posted how to do it elsewhere. Do a search under goldierocks on:

Series on identifying minerals - part 8 SPECIFIC GRAVITY

I have a shortly later post on a very cheap scale to use.

Those are well crystallized, which should be a clue. Can you give some close-ups of cross-sections (eg are they hexagonal as in beryl). Topaz has a different symmetry. Both can show strong basal cleavage.

Topaz

1565877670_topaz.jpg

1565878156_topaz-pink-ouero-prito-mina-gerais-brazil.jpg

Beryl

1565878309_beryl.jpg

The symmetry looks wrong for beryl - looks like topaz to me. If topaz you will find many look rectangular in cross-section (unlike the hexagonal cross-sections typical of beryl). However the development of smaller faces on your crystals is also inconsistent with the hexagonal symmetry of beryl. You have an r.i. of 1.59 but topaz with topaz with high concentrations of fluorine rather than hydroxyl can be 1.61. So it is your SG of 2.8 that seems anomalous for zircon (more typical of beryl) - 3.4 to 3.6 would be usual for zircon, being highest in those with high fluorine (can reach 4.5 apparently). That is a large discrepancy - it might be worth determining it again (try also determining the SG on a clean bit of quartz at the same time, just to check that you are really getting an SG similar to quartz (which is 2.6).

Yes, it looks topaz but has tested beryl over and over. It has stumped alot of people. Im still a little lost and no one seems to be able to answer the question. Topaz or beryl. Does the crystal structure determine the stone or the sg and ri. Is it maganese that that has altered the topaz and changed it chemical composition. I may remain a mystery.
Thanks for you time..

intrinsicgems said:
Yes, it looks topaz but has tested beryl over and over. It has stumped alot of people. Im still a little lost and no one seems to be able to answer the question. Topaz or beryl. Does the crystal structure determine the stone or the sg and ri. Is it maganese that that has altered the topaz and changed it chemical composition. I may remain a mystery.
Thanks for you time..
"has tested beryl over and over" - I assume that you mean the SG has been tested multiple times, as that is the only thing that appears anomalous for topaz?

It is the combination of the crystal structure and chemical composition that determines what a mineral is. Things like SG and RI do not, but are nevertheless commonly diagnostic. Optical properties would also probably be diagnostic (but are also not part of the definition - it is just that composition and crystal structure in turn influence RI, SG and optical properties.

You have referred before to manganese but I don't think you have mentioned why you think manganese is relevant. The crystals you show no sign of alteration, and I am not aware of manganese ever entering the crystal lattice of topaz, so I would not think it has any relevance.

It is fairly clearly not beryl, but of course there might be possibilities other than topaz and beryl that we have not considered. However my money is on topaz, and my suspicion would always be with SG determination - however if you are certain of that, I can't offer any other suggestions.

Latest posts