Home Made Rock Crusher

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
For most parts of the year I dream of hitting the Goldfields in search of the elusive shiney stuff, but if you live in the "Barren Basin"
aka Sydney like I do, you know that the closest prospect for prospecting is about 3.5 hours from home [depending on traffic] and its not that easy to get out there for a "quick" scratch around and be back home by dinner time.
So what do you do to keep the fever at bay ???? You go out and build prospecting equiptment that you "might" need ,right?
So this is the quick story.
A few months ago a few of us spent a weekend prospecting on the Ophir goldfields and towards the end decided to bring back half a bucket of rocks to dolly up just for the heck of it.
Thats where the problem started. I ended up with the rocks. Not a huge amount of material and certainly dosent warrant building a machine to pulverise it but what the heck......lets put something together.
As Google is my friend and yutoob is my buddy Ive borrowed ideas that are already out there and modified them to suit
1394618966_ophir.jpg

1394619214_rocks.jpg

So....after a small brainstorming session with the bucket of rocks I decided to try and build a portable unit for testing in the field but I wasent prepared to spend big bucks to make the prototype just to find that the project gets shelved so I used only material that was at hand or bought cheaply. The only real expence would be the motor to drive it.....sorta.
25mm solid shaft, bearing carriers and assorted bolts/nuts I already had in the shed.
3.5mm steel plate offcuts $20. So far ,so good. Now to work
1394620093_crush1.jpg
1394620345_crush2.jpg

Now I did say something about costs. Meet the donor...a perfectly good chainsaw that im about to tear to pieces. How do I justify it?? Ive always wanted a bigger chainsaw...... :p :p
1394620668_chainsawcrusher3.jpg
1394621050_chainsawcrush4.jpg

So now we need to make it an angry toy. Excuse the chook-poo welding on the inner base. Kept tripping fuses at home so I got it mig welded at work later.
1394621394_crusherchains5.jpg
1394621509_crusher5.jpg

Time to cannibalise the chainsaw and attach the cast iron pulleys, which I had to buy. Secure the pulleys and motor and add the belt.
I should have stressed this point earlier. This can become very dangerous if not secured correctly and at all times your personal SAFETY is your priority. This is a sampling only prototype. If I was to build this with longevity in mind ALL METAL COMPONENTS
should not be less than 6mm/10mm thick
1394622251_crusher6.jpg
1394622349_crusher7.jpg

Next to add the feeder tube and material outlet
This is as far as ive gotten to date. Theres not much more to go before it comes alive.
Ill try and complete the project as soon as time allows. Ill post some more pics and hopefully some rock dust as well
Cheers
ChrisM

Best use of an chainsaw I've seen yet. Awesome project. Can't wait to hear some updates.

Great idea, but boy it is going to be noisy. Also not sure if the galv chain will hold up as it is only mild steel. See if you can get your hands on drag or lifting chain ? However that being harder may be more brittle. Be keen to see how the test goes. Awesome work.

She is beauty of a prototype, you realise I also need a bigger chainsaw now :D the fact that you were able to put it together with stuff lying around - genius as they sell for about 2k overseas. I've seen it first hand and you'll have no problem making porridge trust me :) well done mate another toy to add to the prospecting kit.

Look like a great concept there. Wont bits of the chain chip off. Maybe go for a cam on the drive shaft with a couple of small bore pistons to act as crushers?? Just a thought. Make it like a double stamper??

Cheers Tone

Mate before you go any further, Have you run it yet?? I would be giving it a run as is to make sure the chainsaw will drive successfully, that is the only thing I would question, good job!!
cheers
Lee

...i didn't even know these mini rock crushers existed until 2 days ago and i must say this is an evil little unit, it doesn't matter if it works or not,what matters is what you learn from a prototypes failure (if it does) lol...awesome display of skill!

scott :cool:

ps...would love to see a video of it flat out and you drop the first rock! lol

its nice for your first prototype

go to grade 80 chain when you can as it will last longer

i will be making one too when i get a spare day although i will use toothed timing belts to reduce friction losses and reduce radial load on the chainsaw bearing

http://www.gates.com/australia/index.cfm?location_id=11308

those taperlock bushes are great , you can get them for timing belt pulleys too but the pulleys will be a little bit dearer than Vee belt pulleys

good onya :)

Hi guys and thanks for your comments and input so far.
When it comes to the chain we need to remember that its a sacrificial component. Its cheap,its easy to get some and its even easier to change a broken one in the field. The machine will be used predominantly for sampling/testing areas where fine gold is found in the rock. Its size and complexity needs to be kept at a minimum. As the old saying goes. The more moving parts,the more things that can go wrong.
rc63bourke....I thought about the same thing when I was putting it together. Yes I have test run the unit as soon as I plugged it all together [but without any material or feeder]
20xwater....mate, I've still got a few things to finish off with it but when its done i'll make sure its on video to share. Its a bit like waiting for Xmas day now... :lol: :lol:
HeadsUp......Its a bit easier to get a 13A fan belt from a servo than a timing belt if it breaks. Like I said its only the shoestring prototype.Ive already made notes of where the mistakes are and given any reason to build V2.0 Its gonna be a balltearer.
As for your concern on the radial load, I dont think its a huge issue. A tensioner/dampner should minimise the damage.

don't breath the dust, use a mask because of siliconosis of the lungs.. I have been looking at building a crusher and have seen some similar to yours on u tube.. those guys use hardened chain and bolts and turn the chains after a while to get more wear from them. looking good mate.. :)

Great idea, take care as it is a prototype. The high rpm and low gauge steel could be dangerous. Yes I am qualified in OHS and WHS. Safety when out bush is a prioriy as help is far away :cool:

very cool project mate, i keep putting off doing this at some stage got buckets of rock all ove rthe place wont remember were they came from when i get onto it. Looks like itll do the job.

How did the test run go mate? Fine enough to make cappuccino? :)

Latest posts