Is this just a rock?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Guys are these just a rock? The ones on the left seem quite shiny and heavy but not transparent.

I think the ones on the right might be a rosy type quatrz

Found them in the werribee river. A lot of river pebbles and quarts and sandstone type rocks.

Cheers
1394359814_image.jpg

The ones on the left look like Ironstone, unless that is,....you can see through them when you hold them up to the sunlight( warning, do not look directly at the sun).

No they are not see through so they must be ironstone. Does this mean they should be magnetic?

I'm not sure if they attract to a magnet ?
crazyk said:
No they are not see through so they must be ironstone. Does this mean they should be magnetic?

Not sure about the black ones but the reddish rocks look to me like small pieces of Jasper?

Iron stone for sure with the ones on the left, the ones on the right cant really tell. When you hold them up to the light (The redish ones) does light shine through?

On a side note: Prospecting in the werribee river in not permitted.

Retirement Stone said:
Not sure about the black ones but the reddish rocks look to me like small pieces of Jasper?

Reddish ones look like Jasper to me to. Polishes up very nice in the tumbler ;)

Cheers

C&L

Hey GT

The reddish ones are slightly transparent.

I was on private property. I'm not planning on doing much there but when we visit friends I sneak off for a scratch around I think the deepest hole I've dug was a shovel!

My guess like RS said would be Jasper. Jasper even though not worth much can still polish up into a nice stone.

Latest posts