SARS-CoV-2 variants of concern and
variants under investigation in
England
Technical briefing 18
9 July 2021

Page 17:

1626664140_uk_covid_deaths.jpg

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u … ing_18.pdf

Very difficult to find this level of information in Australia.

1 user likes this post: nucopia

Geehi
19 July 2021 02:27 pm

And to be fair, here is one possible explanation for what the UK figures are showing:

COVID vaccine weekly: more vaccinated than unvaccinated Britons are now dying from the coronavirus

Coronavirus vaccines lessen the chance of you getting COVID-19 and massively reduce the risk of developing serious illness and being hospitalised. Yet at the same time, most COVID-19 deaths in England are now currently among the vaccinated. Is this a cause for alarm?

Put simply, no, says Kit Yates, senior lecturer in mathematical biology at the University of Bath. No vaccines are 100% protective, so cases, hospitalisations and deaths are still to be somewhat expected among those who’ve been jabbed – and especially in those who are older.

https://theconversation.com/covid-vacci … rus-164526

Last edited by Geehi (19 July 2021 02:32 pm)

1 user likes this post: nucopia

Ridge Runner
19 July 2021 02:40 pm

Geehi wrote:

And to be fair, here is one explanation for what the UK figures are showing:

COVID vaccine weekly: more vaccinated than unvaccinated Britons are now dying from the coronavirus

Coronavirus vaccines lessen the chance of you getting COVID-19 and massively reduce the risk of developing serious illness and being hospitalised. Yet at the same time, most COVID-19 deaths in England are now currently among the vaccinated. Is this a cause for alarm?

Put simply, no, says Kit Yates, senior lecturer in mathematical biology at the University of Bath. No vaccines are 100% protective, so cases, hospitalisations and deaths are still to be somewhat expected among those who’ve been jabbed – and especially in those who are older.

Thats not true, In the UK there was up to 1820 per day dying from covid on January the 20th and when the vaccine was released the number per day dropped hugely and now the daily figure is around 25 per day so who ever wrote that have got their facts wrong

Last edited by Ridge Runner (19 July 2021 02:41 pm)

AKA, Fridge Runner.... Ted Bullpit for PM

nucopia
19 July 2021 06:01 pm

diggit wrote:
Ridge Runner wrote:

Over 58,000 new cases here in the past 24 hours. thumbsdown

That's crazy!

Also ambiguous .. Reported infections have increased while Reports of deaths has decreased ..
July 18 UK
Reported daily new case 48,000
Reported deaths 25

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavir … aths-daily

Last edited by nucopia (19 July 2021 06:06 pm)

every day is an adventure

Ridge Runner
19 July 2021 06:41 pm

nucopia wrote:
diggit wrote:
Ridge Runner wrote:

Over 58,000 new cases here in the past 24 hours. thumbsdown

That's crazy!

Also ambiguous .. Reported infections have increased while Reports of deaths has decreased ..
July 18 UK
Reported daily new case 48,000
Reported deaths 25

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavir … aths-daily

Yeah thats right, I hit the wrong number and did not read my post afterwards, fat finger syndrome, thumbsdown thumbsdown

1 user likes this post: Jaros

Geehi
19 July 2021 06:56 pm

Ridge Runner wrote:
Geehi wrote:

Thats not true, In the UK there was up to 1820 per day dying from covid on January the 20th and when the vaccine was released the number per day dropped hugely and now the daily figure is around 25 per day so who ever wrote that have got their facts wrong

Sorry RR....I'm confused......which part of the article I linked is "not true"?

The article attempted to explain the ratio of vaccinated/unvaccinated deaths in the UK......based on figures that were released by your own Public Health England (my prior post).

The linked article explored the age distribution amongst those vaccinated, and postulated that this explained the seeming disparity between deaths in the vaccinated and unvaccinated cohorts.

I can find no reference in the article to the absolute number of cases or deaths per day, or any other time period.

Please enlighten as to what is "not true".

Last edited by Geehi (19 July 2021 06:57 pm)

nucopia
19 July 2021 07:07 pm

Happens sometimes RR

every day is an adventure

1 user likes this post: Ridge Runner

Ridge Runner
19 July 2021 07:21 pm

Geehi wrote:
Ridge Runner wrote:
Geehi wrote:

Sorry RR....I'm confused......which part of the article I linked is "not true"?

The article attempted to explain the ratio of vaccinated/unvaccinated deaths in the UK......based on figures that were released by your own Public Health England (my prior post).

The linked article explored the age distribution amongst those vaccinated, and postulated that this explained the seeming disparity between deaths in the vaccinated and unvaccinated cohorts.

I can find no reference in the article to the absolute number of cases or deaths per day, or any other time period.

Please enlighten as to what is "not true".

I don't know what happend but I got redirected to another site ?? let me try it again.

EDIT, It's working now I got the right site,

Last edited by Ridge Runner (19 July 2021 07:22 pm)

silver
20 July 2021 01:35 am

Here's a little something about Australia's vaccine road we probably wouldn't know about. This fella is an independent reporter who lets it unload with both barrels (my young fellas watch him)

What a great day ! ,... " I'll see you in the field ".

Geehi
20 July 2021 07:52 pm

You've just gotta see the funny side of this:

Queensland man escapes hotel quarantine in Perth using bed sheets tied from fourth-floor window, police allege

1626771032_sheets.jpg

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-07-20/ … /100308950

I sense a Hollywood movie coming up.....Tom Cruise anyone? smile

2 users like this post: silver, Ridge Runner

deepblue
20 July 2021 08:48 pm

Absolutely loved it silver just about sums it up completely lol lol lol lol

1 user likes this post: silver

silver
20 July 2021 10:13 pm

tongue Go Queenslanders.... er... aaa... I mean that naughty bloke, I hope they pull his ear. yikes

What a great day ! ,... " I'll see you in the field ".

2 users like this post: Ridge Runner, Mackka

goldierocks
21 July 2021 11:09 am

This is an up-to-date review of effectiveness etc in one of the most highly trusted scientific journals.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-01505-x

Robert Benchley...
I have kleptomania, but when it gets bad, I take something for it.

5 users like this post: Ridge Runner, Manpa, mbasko, Geehi, silver

Ridge Runner
21 July 2021 11:56 am

goldierocks wrote:

This is an up-to-date review of effectiveness etc in one of the most highly trusted scientific journals.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-01505-x

Despite people calling those who have the vaccine as carriers it seems that the Vaccines reduce the chance of people becoming carries as well as boosting their own immune systems so It answers many of the unanswered questions and myths. So in that respect the vaccines are doing much more than what was expected,

Well done and thanks for posting that, thumbsup

Last edited by Ridge Runner (21 July 2021 12:35 pm)

2 users like this post: PabloP, silver

Tathradj
21 July 2021 12:13 pm

Thanks GoldieRocks,
That is some of the best True News I have seen.
Not like the half arsed false twisted news you often see.

A couple of HiBankers inc. accessories, , QED, 4500, SDC2300, Gt1600,
Aldi, A Prado 4x4, A'Van Cruiseliner and a heck of a lot of determination.
Most importantly, A lot of Good Honest Friends. Maybe one day Lucky.

Geehi
21 July 2021 06:09 pm

Here is a an "Accelerated article preview" from the same highly trusted scientific journal, dated July 8, 2021:

Reduced sensitivity of SARS-CoV-2 variant Delta to antibody neutralization

Sera from convalescent patients collected up to 12 months post symptoms were 4 fold less potent against variant Delta, relative to variant Alpha (B.1.1.7).
Sera from individuals having received one dose of Pfizer or AstraZeneca vaccines barely inhibited variant Delta.
Administration of two doses generated a neutralizing response in 95% of individuals, with titers 3 to 5 fold lower against Delta than Alpha.
Thus, variant Delta spread is associated with an escape to antibodies targeting non-RBD and RBD Spike epitopes.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586- … nformation

Download full paper in PDF here:

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586- … erence.pdf

goldierocks
21 July 2021 07:19 pm

Geehi wrote:

Here is a an "Accelerated article preview" from the same highly trusted scientific journal, dated July 8, 2021:

Reduced sensitivity of SARS-CoV-2 variant Delta to antibody neutralization

Sera from convalescent patients collected up to 12 months post symptoms were 4 fold less potent against variant Delta, relative to variant Alpha (B.1.1.7).
Sera from individuals having received one dose of Pfizer or AstraZeneca vaccines barely inhibited variant Delta.
Administration of two doses generated a neutralizing response in 95% of individuals, with titers 3 to 5 fold lower against Delta than Alpha.
Thus, variant Delta spread is associated with an escape to antibodies targeting non-RBD and RBD Spike epitopes.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586- … nformation

Download full paper in PDF here:

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586- … erence.pdf

Yep , we have been seeing that delta is more infectious, and that one dose of vaccine can give quite limited protection. However if you read the entire paper you will find that they say that two doses is quite effective (based on "A recent report analyzing all sequenced symptomatic cases of COVID-19 in England"):

", a two-dose regimen generated high sero-neutralization levels against variants Alpha, Beta and Delta, in subjects sampled at W8 to W16 post vaccination. Neutralizing antibody levels are highly predictive of immune protection from symptomatic SARS-CoV-2 infection25. A recent report analyzing all sequenced symptomatic cases of COVID-19 in England was used to estimate the impact of vaccination on infection. Effectiveness was notably lower with Delta
than with Alpha after one dose of AstraZeneca or Pfizer vaccines. The two-dose effectiveness against Delta was estimated to be 60% and 88% for AstraZeneca and Pfizer vaccines, respectively.. Our neutralization experiments indicate that Pfizer and AstraZeneca vaccine-elicited antibodies are efficacious against variant Delta..."

Last edited by goldierocks (21 July 2021 07:19 pm)

Robert Benchley...

Ridge Runner
21 July 2021 08:25 pm

France has seen a rise of 150% in covid cases per day.

1 user likes this post: Mackka

goldtrapper
21 July 2021 08:37 pm

"Sacre blau!

1 user likes this post: Mackka

Ridge Runner
22 July 2021 03:30 am

73 people died in the past 24 hours here/ flowers

goldierocks
22 July 2021 11:21 am

We have three friends who have had covid twice, two after having had both vaccine doses (husband and wife), so care is needed even after vaccination. The unvaccinated one was young and symptoms were mild, the other two over seventy with coexisting morbidities, but both found it equivalent to a bad cold (so vaccines appear to help, but one can still spread it if careless). None went to hospital. A few other friends have had it and also survived OK, despite being in their sixties and seventies (most vaccinated). It is definitely here for a while...

Robert Benchley...

5 users like this post: Manpa, Mackka, Ridge Runner, Wishfull, Geehi

goldierocks
22 July 2021 01:37 pm

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/australi … d=msedgntp

I think this article is relevant, as I have also been very confused by the actions regarding Astra Zeneca. I think that governments of many countries chickened out when the anti-vaxers (as distinct from the hesitant and doubtful re covid vaccines) jumped on reported death due to clotting. This clotting is unrelated to the normal clotting problems in elderly people, and is not considered to exacerbate such conditions). "It is important to realise that most blood clots are not caused by immune processes. This suggests that, for people who have experienced blood clots in the past, or have other risk factors that might increase their chances of developing a clot (such as taking the oral contraceptive pill), the AstraZeneca vaccine may not pose an extra risk, because the causes of the clotting are fundamentally different". More people get the clotting condition than die of it - about one in 30,000 among the young and one in 60,000 among the elderly, but it is fairly easily and completely treated.

There is a slight risk with any vaccine, as there is in driving to the shops. Based on historical data, the death rate following smallpox vaccination is approximately one death per million persons receiving an initial dose and one death per four million among persons receiving another dose after the first dose (we ultimately wiped out smallpox completely, not possible with flu or covid 19). Flu shots have a lower death rate - about 9 deaths in the USA per year (suggesting around 1 per year in Australia pro rata). 3 people have died in Australia from clotting related to Astra Zeneca vaccine, compared to 918 from covid (in a country largely shielded from covid by the sea, as in New Zealand). Probably more people have been vaccinated by Astra Zeneca than have been exposed to covid so far in Australia, indicating that even in Australia so far, vaccination with Astra Zeneca carried less risk than that of you having died of covid, despite so few covid cases.

Compare that with more than 310,000 people presenting to hospital and health services nationwide in 2019 with flu (a very bad year), of whom 902 died - few of these were vaccinated (about 12 million were, suggesting that many more deaths were avoided). An average of 3.5 people die in road fatalities per day in Australia - about 7 million travel in a car daily. This would suggest that your chances of dying in a road accident if you drive today alone are probably of similar magnitude as of dying from an Astra Zeneca shot. The risk of dying of a blood clot on the contrceptive pill is similar, and of dying of a blood clot if a smoker are many times greater. While different time spans may be required for each of these later action, each is a life-style choice that people make without much thought about the blood-clotting risk - the type of action kills.

I am trying to give accurate information, as best I can determine it, because there is not a lot of it going around. It is up to each individual to decide, and noone is compelled to have any shot. But given how the D strain is taking off overseas and may be about to takeoff here, I am glad that I had both Astra-Zeneca shots as soon as possible.

Just living is dangerous.....but it beats the alternative.

Last edited by goldierocks (22 July 2021 01:41 pm)

Robert Benchley...

4 users like this post: Manpa, Ridge Runner, kingswood, Geehi

goldierocks
22 July 2021 02:34 pm

1626924682_deaths.jpg

One needs to be a bit cautious of media rhetoric, and things like "number up 50% yesterday" (e,g,from what). This was the situation with deaths and cases in these countries yesterday. Some things stand out. Not everywhere has a surge (yet, at least). The USA curve looks awful and probably reflects its delay to do anything. The UK has a huge surge in cases but not in deaths at the same time - one might wonder if it reflects its very highly vaccinated population?

Last edited by goldierocks (22 July 2021 02:36 pm)

Robert Benchley...

2 users like this post: Ridge Runner, Geehi

Mackka
22 July 2021 02:49 pm

Qld shuts border to All NSW. I told my wife this would happen as soon as the presentation was done by the Premier in Tokyo to show Brisbane with 35,000 at the footy etc and once she got the gong, wam bam thank you mam, the door is closed.
Mackka

2 users like this post: nucopia, Geehi