River / Stream Sluices - advice, information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ive recently become the proud owner of a Gold Rat 8 modular sluice, which Ive fitted with a Header box and and flare kit. Will be using it at home to save squatting down all day in a stream with a pan the setup shown in these photos seems to work well, notwithstanding the elevation mechanism, which still needs a bit of work :)

1622944424_dsc00764_small.jpg

1622944504_dsc00766_small.jpg

Two questions:

1. The sluice is fitted with a reverse riffle Googling doesnt provide much info as to the purpose of this accessory, or to any pros and cons:

This is what the water flow looks like with the reverse riffle fitted:

1622944556_dsc00770_small.jpg

And this is what the water flow looks like without the reverse riffle fitted:

1622944608_dsc00769_small.jpg

My own observation is that the water flow looks a bit more civilised with the riffle fitted is this its purpose in life?

And this is what the water flow looks like overall with the riffle fitted - plenty of water flowing over the Dream mat:

1622944889_dsc00772_small.jpg

Second question:

Looking at the subject of sluices on the net indicates that some sort of rubber matting in the header is desirable seems to be primarily as an early indicator. Im not real fussed about that, but was wondering if there are any other reason to have this in situ?

If it is desirable, I have some car mats with this pattern (I know the ribbed rubber seems to be the go, but cant find any in the car stores these days, and to buy it from the roll is kinda expensive):

Would this pattern be OK?

1622944682_dsc00775_small.jpg

1622944702_dsc00776_small.jpg

Good choice and certainly makes cleaning up the cons you bring home a much easier task.

In regard to Q1 .... use whatever you think is doing the job, I used to use it with the header box fitted but now do without it since switching to the flair unit.

In regard to Q2 ..... the square format may not aid in trapping fine gold, my choice simple V matting from Bunnings or whoever you can get it from.

As you've got the Flair kit try using it with a spray bar .... my simple set up is shown in the pic but nothing wrong with how yours is set up either ... very much personal choice, a dozen different blokes (or girls) will have their own fav way of doing it.

Only suggestion is .... get some legs on it .... makes adjusting angles so much easier (at home or in the field).

Most of all have fun.
Cheers T.

1622948692_4c239f7d-31d5-4152-943b-374efdf17fb3_1_201_a.jpg

Yes, spray bar across the top with multiple outlets to help break up the cons. Also fit a valve preceding the spray bar as this will allow you to control the water flow. When you start your tests with the cons you'll be testing the waste gravel for gold that has overshot the dream mat, this could be caused by too much water flow so the valve will allow you to adjust this to a point where you catch 95%+ and only loose a bit of flour.

Latest posts