Help identifying/value old silver Chinese cash coin

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I know there are some very knowledgeable members on here who might be able to help.
Ive been offered an old Chinese cash coin which appears to be silver but l cant see it in the flesh.
I know that most cash coins are copper/brass/ bronze cast coins.
Ive dug a few over the years.
This one appears to be silver but Ive read that they can be a mix of metals like tin zinc.
Any ideas on what it might be just by looking at the image

Thanks for any help

1607821017_2ab5f434-f3d6-4c6a-9d96-3541fe88f8d1.jpg

Most silver coins will have a higher specific gravity than other metals or their alloys (eg around 10)

The right and left characters probably translate as "universal currency" (tong bao). The top and bottom symbols probably give the period of the emperor when the coin was cast.

The most likely period would be qing, so you would have to go through the "traditional chinese" to work out which emperor (first two of the four symbols when written, the third and fourth symbols being the right and left "universal currency").

1607857243_emperors.jpg

goldierocks said:
Most silver coins will have a higher specific gravity than other metals or their alloys (eg around 10)

The right and left characters probably translate as "universal currency" (tong bao). The top and bottom symbols probably give the period of the emperor when the coin was cast.

The most likely period would be qing, so you would have to go through the "traditional chinese" to work out which emperor (first two of the four symbols when written, the third and fourth symbols being the right and left "universal currency").

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/4386/1607857243_emperors.jpg

Thanks goldierocks, the guy that posted it up on a different site said he knew nothing about it and l advised him to do some homework on it.
I did a little for him and did track it down to around this era.
Because l showed interest in it he asked me if l wanted to buy it for $200 which l reckon is way to high considering l cant see or handle it.
If it was silver Id probably think about it for a lesser amount because what l read is they are rare.

Supposedly dug on the Palmer river Queersland

Latest posts