Help!! Coin identification

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys, found this today and it has me stumped as to what it could be.. it's definately young Queen Victoria head and I can just make out 'victoria' and I think 'brittannia' but I can't get anything from the reverse. Sizewise, it's between a penny and a half penny. Any help would be muchly appreciated :) it's 28mm
1606020365_img_20201122_154412.jpg
1606020388_img_20201122_154441.jpg

I think your detective work may have paid off. You can make out the outline of what appears to be the shield. I once found a old Ceylonese coin with a young Victoria on one side. It's fun trying to work out where these coins are from.

Are you tempted to chuck it in vinegar and lemon juice (apologies to all the purists) to see if you can get some more detail out of it?

Clodmaster said:
I think your detective work may have paid off. You can make out the outline of what appears to be the shield. I once found a old Ceylonese coin with a young Victoria on one side. It's fun trying to work out where these coins are from.

Are you tempted to chuck it in vinegar and lemon juice (apologies to all the purists) to see if you can get some more detail out of it?

On the topic of destroying coins and upsetting folks, I wonder if this one might respond well to a good polish with fine steel wool instead? It looks like it's been hammered in on the reverse side, kind of looks concave with the lighting.

Clodmaster said:

Yea very tempted lol!!!! I wouldn't have guessed what it was if it wasn't for a mate who has found EVERYTHING possible. (Except he hasn't got this particular one, he has the less pointy shield one :Y:

Guessologist said:
Clodmaster said:

On the topic of destroying coins and upsetting folks, I wonder if this one might respond well to a good polish with fine steel wool instead? It looks like it's been hammered in on the reverse side, kind of looks concave with the lighting.
Yea it's concave..now that I know what it is, I probably won't clean it but you never know

Latest posts