Maldon And Muckleford Goldfields information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
see that 'Message' button. Find one of Reg's posts & hit it ;)
1587472413_reg_wilson_on_pa.jpg

dirtdiggin said:
Hi All

Just wondering if the Maldon / Muckleford areas had gold come to the surface / Nuggets or was it mostly only Mullock piles or old reef gold piles / diggings ??
Im not asking for coordinates or your secret spot , I have done some research and know there were a lot of reef workings around the area.
Im not from this part of Victoria and thought Id ask those who know these area for some general help.

Cheers

I know personally of a 4oz and a 2oz nugget unearthed nearby to each other in the Gowar vicinity around 10 years ago. An old friend took me there to his "patch" and with a GPX2300 he was regularly finding small gold about sesame seed size. Throughout the area there are numerous barren quartz blows and also open shafts - be alert for them.

casper said:
dirtdiggin said:
Hi All

Just wondering if the Maldon / Muckleford areas had gold come to the surface / Nuggets or was it mostly only Mullock piles or old reef gold piles / diggings ??
Im not asking for coordinates or your secret spot , I have done some research and know there were a lot of reef workings around the area.
Im not from this part of Victoria and thought Id ask those who know these area for some general help.

Cheers

I know personally of a 4oz and a 2oz nugget unearthed nearby to each other in the Gowar vicinity around 10 years ago. An old friend took me there to his "patch" and with a GPX2300 he was regularly finding small gold about sesame seed size. Throughout the area there are numerous barren quartz blows and also open shafts - be alert for them.

Never heard of one of those, GPX2300? :eek:

Cheers

Doug

Rockhunter62 said:
casper said:
dirtdiggin said:
Hi All

Cheers

Cheers

Doug

Dont be like that Doug.

Dont mind him Casper, I know that you're really talking about the SDC4500. Great machine! :playful:

casper said:
dirtdiggin said:
Hi All

Cheers

oooop's

Rockhunter62 said:
casper said:
dirtdiggin said:
Hi All

Cheers

Cheers

Doug

...... bloody 'ell - it was an early minelab thingy - gimme a break i'm a panner!

some good tips for you mate, but the most important one is.. ASK PERMISSION FIRST before entering ANY private property!

With the current surge in detecting there's also been a surge in people trespassing, people not back filling holes, fences being damaged and rubbish left behind in the process.

I'll give you a tip, I'm a land owner and whenever people trespass I immediately kick them off, regardless of their excuses. If they ask for permission before entering, I always let them on

Help save our hobby by being courteous and respectful of peoples homes & livelihood

Plenty of areas if you just go for a short drive, BUT.

Seriously, if you want to get gold with the xTerra LEARN to use it properly, it's not as easy to use as some units but has its place (beaches/parks) ..... finding gold in the goldfields is not its strong point.

That shouldn't stop you ..... use your time there to learn the machine, experiment with it, once you get the hang of it you should be finding bits of old metal, nails, shot and if your'e lucky buttons/coins and if really lucky gold.

Importantly it should give you a feel for detecting and may give you a guide as to whether to upgrade at some stage in the future.

I went from xTerra to SDC to GPX ..... still have them all but always revert to the SDC when gold is scarce.

Enjoy your time out there,
Cheers T.

Latest posts