Gympie and surrounds information + questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I read that the best way to fix ticks is with a spray . It freezes them ? I have also had ticks . Got this idea to spray them with engine start if you do not have the proper spray . It has a lot of Ether in it , so it should knock them out . I always carry engine spray , just in case ....

Yeah Deep Creek is a very token effort at a GPA but it is all we have. When I just need a quicky I still go there occasionally with a new coil or detector to see what its iron reject capabilities are :) and I always dig up the first few signals just because you do get the occasional interesting relic - gimpy hammerheads, pick heads, lots of unidentifiable surface or u/g equipment. Over the years panning the creek I have found a few prickly pieces of coarse gold and also a couple of pea sized bits of amalgam.

What needs to be understood about Deep Creek is that it was both a VERY rich alluvial area and a VERY rich reef area. The original creek was dredged & the surrounding ground was surfaced clean many times between 1868 & 1940s and the "surface" you are standing on is actually mainly 1-3m deep leveled off mullock heaps & stamp battery tails from the underground mines. This is what it was like some time before it was levelled off
1596961352_deep_ck_gympie_showing_mullock_heaps.jpg

and these are the registered mines within 1km....

1596963209_deep_creek_gpa_mines.jpg

So without doubt there is still some gold there ready for a panner or a high freq VLF but the area is so overgrown and full of snakes that it is a turn off to any but the most patient & dedicated.

As far as the river goes - there are no crocs up here - In 20 years there have only been a couple of confirmed sightings in the Mary & they were at 100km away at the Maryborough end.

Most people who canoe would launch at Traveston Crossing or The Sands near Normanby Bridge and paddle down no further than The Weir at Kidd Bridge or Widgee Crossing.

Im up in Gladstone and kayak fish our salt water estuaries for bara and jacks. Although there are plenty of rumours ive never seen a croc here. Undoubtedly they are here as the fitsroy river is only 100 k north and loaded with crocs. But Gympie is a bit of a stretch and its fresh water which makes it even less likely.

XLOOX said:
Awesome - about 16x anything Ive ever found there in 25y. Well done indeed Buzz84!!!

It was full of dirt I went to clean him up there was a guy panning got few specks he couldn't believe the find if I remove the rock my end up 1-2 grams no bad day at the office

Buzz84 said:
Went to Gympie to day with 7000 for 6 hours loth of junk nearly give up then beep beep and there it was about 300.mm down big grass lucky didn't see any snake.https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/10337/1597138505_img20200725163114.jpg

Sounds like a case of its been flogged to death, dont bother detecting there so no one does!

davent said:
Buzz84 said:
Went to Gympie to day with 7000 for 6 hours loth of junk nearly give up then beep beep and there it was about 300.mm down big grass lucky didn't see any snake.https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/10337/1597138505_img20200725163114.jpg

Sounds like a case of its been flogged to death, dont bother detecting there so no one does!

We need new arias to open must be a few in between Gympie an Clermont if you google There is gold everywhere should open up state forest

XLOOX said:
So Buzz84, You were using a Z - They dont have iron reject - Does that mean you dug every beep in Deep Creek for 6 hrs ? If so Man you deserve that nugget!

Every beep believe me I dig a lot of hulls not keen to go back :coffee:

Latest posts