Minelab GPX 4500 setting questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My 4500 gives up a ton of depth in enhance. You can drastically reduce the rx gain in normal and still see equal or greater depth than in enhance. Test on a target and see for yourself.

Thats pretty much the norm..I dont think you will miss much if you can get the Rx up to 11-13..wet ground,clays and hot rocks can make it a bit more difficult and you may have to drop the Rx a bit..If Im on a quiet patch and the detector is running really quiet I will flick the switch over to normal,but it usually doesnt last that long..and its picking up too much Hot ground..The 14 is a pretty sensitive coil and it pretty much stays on all the time..

Run normal if you like but see how many empty holes you dig. I run enhance rx 13/14 stabilizer between 12/16 it ho t i know but i donot have asmuch trouble with ground noise and on some nuggets i get better depth than normal.
Jim

Thanks for the comments, helps just see all the other setting available, so for Vic it pretty much enhanced all the way, cheers

xxvi said:
Thanks for the comments, helps just see all the other setting available, so for Vic it pretty much enhanced all the way, cheers

With a Double D coil, and a few setting tweaks you can run normal and Sens Extra in most areas.

With a standard wound mono, I'd guesstimate that in maybe 75% or areas you'd struggle running Normal.

With a new sprial/flat wound mono, you are getting a fair increase in sensitivity, so that means even less spots you can run it in Normal.
But a 14" or 15" round spiral coil in Enhance still gets fair depth, and you cover a lot of ground as you are not stopping to investigate false signals all the time.

The two mono's that could handle mineralised ground the best from my experience are the 15x12" Commander, and the 16" Nugget finder advantage.

If the gold is solid enhance isn't too far behind normal, if it really porous there is a huge difference. I have a really prickly .8g bit that normal with gain on 1 finds probably 30% deeper than enhance with gain at 10. I'd actually missed it with the 11" elite in enhance and found it with the stock 11" dd in normal timings.

A couple of points that I constantly see coming up.
The front panel mode switch general/deep etc does nothing to the detector except run a different set of pre sets. They are save slots for settings, "deep" is just the name for that slot and it has some pre sets that minelab say helps aim for deep mellow targets, once you change from the pre set settings it doesnt matter what mode you are in.
High or low gain does not affect actual depth, the "R" in rx gain stands for recieve, you are turning up or down the signal that has already been recieved. It just allows how much of the signal you want to hear. If you are hearing too much, turn it down.
The real thing that changes the way your detector penetrates into the ground is the timings, almost all the rest are just audio filters like the equalizer on a stereo on the returned signal.

How this helps anyone who may be confused.

Hi everyone ,
I am new to the site and new to prospecting. I have purchased a GPX 4500 and looking for any advice on settings and the best coil for this machine. Cheers

Moons said:
Hi everyone ,
I am new to the site and new to prospecting. I have purchased a GPX 4500 and looking for any advice on settings and the best coil for this machine. Cheers

Let people know what area you will be detecting in ( Vic Golden Triangle, NSW Hill End, WA Pilbara, etc) and I'm sure someone can help you. Welcome to the forum.

Cheers

Doug

Hi guys. 4500 with 12inch Evo coil. Around Maryborough. Last time was a bit wet. Will this interfere much.
Cheers.

Caggoss said:
Hi guys. 4500 with 12inch Evo coil. Around Maryborough. Last time was a bit wet. Will this interfere much.
Cheers.
Wet ground can be difficult.
May need to lower the gain a bit or even try Sensitive Smooth with the Evo.
Also normal mono coils (Commander, NF Advantage) can handle it better but if really noisy a DD might be needed?

Latest posts